Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you changed the backstrap when you got it?

I changed it to the smaller one when I got it...I have small hands and even though the one that was on it felt good..the smaller one makes it feel even better......

So I was wondering how many of you P99 owners changed it or left it alone...

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've left mine alone .....so far. I may experiment with the others, but the one that was on from the factory fits my hand great .....

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was shooting with the medium backstrap and am now trying the large. I think I like the beefier feeling better, but I'll probably switch back to the medium in a month or so and try that again just to be sure. I'm thinking the large backstrap also puts my trigger finger in a less strained position (for me).

·
Registered
229 Posts
I've tried all three. The LARGE is too large for me. I could be happy with either the MEDIUM or the SMALL but have a slight preference for the MEDIUM.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I tried all three, and went back to the Medium.
Fits my hand the best, as I am just shy of a large glove size.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Make sure that you use a roll pin punch when working on the backstrap. It will keep the pin from mushrooming as you are driving it back in.

Not that much force required to do so, but it will keep the pin head in spec.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Anyone having rust problems on the roll pin after changing out the backstrap? I went from medium to small, then back again. Later I found that I had taken the paint off the end of the roll pin when putting it back on and now it is rusting.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I do on a Military model. It looked kind of strange at first, but I like it now.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I'd have to check and see what size fits the pin since I haven't done it in awhile.

Brownell's sells the roll pin punches as a set for around $25 or so. It's almst a must for working on the AR15

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thank you, sir.

With the P99 being my only firearm at this time, I would really rather purchase only punch.

And with shipping, duty, exchange, $25 from Brownells would be around $45 to me. Ouch.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Not only the proper punch but use a plastic one. I used a steel drift on mine and took off the coating on the pin - now it rusts.

·
Registered
20 Posts
True about the coating wreck. I tried a makeshift tool a couple of days ago and succeeded only in removing the coating.

So, when I get the proper tool (my guess is a 4mm), I'll place a piece of something between the tool and the pin.

Then, while the pin is out, I'll brush some similar paint onto the thing. I haven't had it out yet, but my guess is that some black auto touchup paint might be OK.

I will look for a plastic tool, but I can't imagine one strong enough.

By the way, how much force does it take to pop out the pin?

I can't imagine banging the tool too hard with a hammer.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts