Walther Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my p99 qa the other day! I am loving it, but would like to try the other backstraps to see how shooting differs with a different grip, but i am having a hell of a time getting the split pin out,, i use the yellow push pin and have tried pushing extremely hard, and tap it with a hammer, i cannot get the pin to come out,, in fact the yellow push rod snapped at the top because of the extreme force i had to use to get it to move even a little, i am not a weight lifter but i have ample stenght in these matters and find it damn near impossible to get this pin out,,

so if anyone has had some experince like this or any tips it would be greatly appreciated , this is my first hanf gun and im not trying to mess it up by doing some stupid stuff, thanks!

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Well, the yellow tool that you snapped was for magazine disassembly.  If you use a 1/8" punch (brass or steel) you can push the pins through.  You might need a couple of taps from a hammer, but it should not require a visit from Hans or Franz.  -You can find these punches in steel at most hardware stores for under $5.  if you prefer brass for other gunsmithing purposes and you want to spend between $20 and $30 for a set, visit Dillons online at Dillon Precision. A brass punch set should be under tools in their drop-down menu.

Good Luck

·
Registered
539 Posts
My appologies, it's not very clear in the manual on closer review. It doesn't specify the size of the punch you should use. I tapped it out with a hex key because I didn't have a punch of that size. Mine was stuck pretty good so hand pressure was not enough. When it was half way out I attached a red zip-tie so it was easier to find once it popped out. Good thing too! It went flying. I wonder why they didn't use something a tad more sophisticated like a torx screw. Maybe vibrations could knock it loose?

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
One little "trick" you can use to protect the metal is to wrap an old T-shirt or the edge of a Silicon gun rag around the tip of the punch and it cuts down on scratches / metal on metal wear.  -I forgot to mention that was the reason I use a 1/8" punch in my earlier post.  You save 1/32" of space and the fabric can use that space.  Once you're past the initial push and the pin has started to come out, it's fairly easy to take out and you remove the punch from its protective fabric shroud since there's not enough room for it to pass through all of the way.

-Also if you use a brass punch, the brass is softer than the metal used in the pin so it will generally suffer wear before the pin will.  

YMMV

·
Registered
42 Posts
It should be mentioned that when using a punch on the Walther roll pins be sure to use a straight pin punch or a roll pin punch, NOT a tapered punch that will make the holes bigger, then the pins won't fit as tight as they should.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts