Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All are agreed that the 99 is a very good weapon. If you could make any changes, what would they be?

Who knows maybe Umarex will read this post....

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would like to see Walther make their QA model with ambidextrous slide release available in the US.

Also, I would like to see a magazine loader included with each pistol ala Glock.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I agree, a mag loader, ambidextrous slide release, and a factroy .375 sig. barrel.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Also a softer trigger pull, optional or otherwise would be nice. A shorter reset would be even better.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'd like to see a .45 ACP version, though I don't know if it would make the grip too large... but you can always go with a smaller backstrap.

·
Registered
328 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (2ndLtMiller @ July 19 2005,22:48)]I agree, a mag loader, ambidextrous slide release, and a factroy .375 sig. barrel.

Don't you mean a 357??

and an ambi slide release would be really nice.

·
Registered
333 Posts
"Also a softer trigger pull, optional or otherwise would be nice. A shorter reset would be even better. Toeball"

Are you talking about the recocking distance of the gun after it has been decocked ?? ( shorter reset) SA/DA gun

I wonder-- how many know how to recock the weapon, without disturbing the shell loaded in the chamber. I have seen some people attempt a recock ......and almost eject the bullet that was loaded.

Here is a simple method I use and teach for the P-99. SA/DA model or anit-stress model

Grab the gun's pistol grip with the weak hand. Now with the strong hand place all your fingers across the top of the slide...and cup the slide with them. Now, the important part.....take your THUMB of this strong hand and wrap it under and around the rear of the pistol grip.

That's it!...When you "squeeze" your thumb and fingers together....it will move the slide about 1/2 inch...just enough to recock the weapon. With some practice, you can fine tune this movement to be very fast and exact. The bullet will not be dislodged from it's chambering.

Hope this helps someone..........it is a nice ability to know and practice

JF

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I too would like to see an ambi slide release/stop…I don't know about the engineering aspect, weaken the slide or internal constrictions, but I would like to see an ambi decocker too…instead of the L- shape it could be U-shaped.

.375 would be nice but .357 better….

Sniper, why decock with the "weak hand" grip?…strong hand grip with weak hand cock using your method works fine…

Just curious since all of your posts are well thought out I figured you must have a good reason…

·
Registered
539 Posts
Hmm, never had a problem cocking my AS without expelling a round. The procedure is accurately described in the manual. I simply keep the gun in my strong hand and pull back the slide a tad until I hear/feel the striker cocking. But it's always good to read about alternatives.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Please, oh please, go back to the old style frame. Give us a .357SIG chambering and the 16 round 9mm magazine. We also need better customer support from WaltherAmerica in the way of parts, accessories, and marketing.

The P99 is a far better pistol that the XD. You just can't find one in a gun shop around here.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Not to mention the lack of support when it comes to Holsters.
Safariland only has ONE duty holster available. No one stocks anything and even Blackhawk doesn't make the CQC carbon fiber holster for the P99.

They do list some leather but no one stocks it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'd like to see better Walther marketing because it is non-existant. It is a very competitive pistol and nobody knows what they are and hence they are hesitant to buy one because Glock is all they ever hear about...because Glock marketing is all over the place. You can't walk into a gun shop without a Glock sign hitting you in the head.

I'd also like to see the AS model to be easily accessible again.

I'd also like to see the compact model with the extended pinky rest magazine hold more rounds like the Glocks.

·
Registered
539 Posts
What's so great about the pre 04 frame? Isn't the standard rail an improvement? I think both styles look good and certainly don't have a problem with how the current gun looks.

As far as improvements go I would think that goes beyond calibers. There was a different thread about that already. I would think people have improvement ideas in terms of additional features, controls, ergonomics.

I think it would be great if the P99 could be switched between AS and DAO mode. If I recall correctly Daewoo pistols support this. I agree that ambi slide release and decockers would be good to have too. I shoot right handed but pratice left handed as well. Plus you never know when your right hand gets disabled and your left is all you have.

How about an integral gun lock? Probably an item for much debate. Many guns have this as you know. I believe it's safer to lock away the whole gun but I suppose if the gun had this feature you could at least choose to use it or not.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I need something on the forward end of the dust cover to index my weak-hand thumb against. I find that when I use a "proper" grip (both thumbs forward), I can't get any kind of good pressure against the frame with my forward thumb. As a result, the gun isn't very well controlled in recoil. All of my other pistols (Glock, Sig, Ruger, CZ, Beretta) have a more obtrusive take down lever that conveniently falls right where my thumb rests. That lets me get a better purchase on the gun and control recoil better.

I think being able to accept any type of tac light (the 2004 change only supports limited Surefire lights) would be a big plus. It's crazy to have to buy an adapter for a "universal" rail system to make the M3 light work!

As far as SA/DAO, there's a precedent for that with the Browning HiPower BDM....the users really seem to like that option.

All in all, I'm pretty darn happy with my P99!!

Jim

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I don't think the QA is a "Glock Wannabe". If anything I think it is more similar to an HK LEM trigger pull. The Glocks really have a two stage pull, which I have alway disliked. The P99 has the best double/single action on the market (my opinion), but the QA helps me so much with consistency I have never looked back.

As to the original question, I would like to see more modular options in both the trigger (style & contour) and trigger mechanisms. This way Walther can continue their effort to customize the gun to the individual.

·
Registered
539 Posts
What I meant was that the QA trigger falls into the same category as the LEM and the XDs trigger. These are all variations of the concept pioneered (AFAIK) by Glock. Lighter than true DAO but heavier than single action. More of a 30.000 ft view than really accurate.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Actually, what I meant on a short reset was how far you have to back off the trigger before it re-engages so you can squeze of the next round. I don't mind the 2 stage trigger on the Glock at all, but I like the smooth pull of the QA more. I think mostly cause I shoot riffle so much and I'm used to "hair triggers". Sub 3 lbs and minimal blade travel is fine as long as there's no chance the gun will discharge with your finger off the trigger.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
How about somebody at WaltherAmerica CHANGING AND UPDATING THE WEB SITE!

I for one have had no problem with customer service or obtaining parts.

·
Registered
333 Posts
JackStarr,

"Sniper, why decock with the "weak hand" grip?…strong hand grip with weak hand cock using your method works fine…"

Again, you bring up a very good point that needs some explaining.

Actually, the short answer is to learn using BOTH weak and strong hand.....in recocking the gun--- using the ONE HAND method I describe.

I preach strong hand first......then when you have mastered that---- move to the weak hand. Using ONLY your strong hand ;you should be able to recock your gun .......and with a careful flip of the gun up inside your hand...you bring it into battery.
To answer why I don't teach the way they describe in the manual........using two hands to recock your weapon may not always be possible. So I want you to learn the way that will help you the most , if you are injured or...etc. Remember we are learning habits here.......it is not going to help you one bit to "know" of a way to recock with one hand.......it must be a habit if you expect to resort to it under extreme stress.
Of course, this is personal chioce.....and offered as such.

Navy87Guy,

Are you locking your weak thumb on top of the strong hand thumb??? If you are , by pressing "down" with the weak hand thumb.....you will increase the pressure of your grip on the weapon. This grip or hold works for all types of handguns.

JF

1 - 20 of 32 Posts