Walther Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellows.This is my first post.I have a mauser millitary issue,p38 9mm.Svw46 I think.395 eagle s/n 93xxk.Anyone reload for this and if so,what weight bullet and max cup do you advices.I have tryed 3.5 grains of win 231 and 124 grain lead round nose bullets and recoil is light but at 25 yds this load is very accurate.Like I have only put about 20 rounds through her.Load books recomend low 23000 to 32 and change.Also this tool has a steel slide and a in white block and a 5inch barrel.Front sight is moveable back sight is fixed.Also the mag is marked p38 at the bottom and at the top on the side it has the eagle and 395 under it.Right side up.Many thanks in advance.Hawkin50.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I would think you are just fine with this load. If it's accurate like you say, and low recoil, I'd stick with it.

Sounds like you have a nice P.38!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your repl p88.Yes this is a nice shooter.Only problem is that some idot reblued the gun at some time and removed all of the markings and stamps from the slide.Anyways I have try numourus times to take the gun apart to examine the gun further but can not get the slide and barrel off the frame.I have falod instuction from different sorses but the slide and barrel will not lift off after the slide move foreward.Do you have any experance and could advice me please.Thanks in advance.Hawkin50.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
H50,

Without seeing it, it's hard for me to determine what may be wrong. Tonight when I get home, I'll pull my P.38 out and see if there's something I can tell you. I've never had a problem taking mine apart.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply.This is what I do Put safty on,pull slide back till it locks and remove magazine.Then turn the knob at the front a half a turn and release the slide.You are then supose to be able to life slide and barrel off the frame.Seems that the slide needs to go ahead a little farther to allow the reseses under the slide to match up with the lugs on the frame.Is there any other things that need doing to make it slide four ward a little ferther.Hope this helps you so you now were Im at.Thanks again.Waiting for your expertise.Hawkin50.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
H50,

You might try leaving the safety off. I've seen this happen before where the safety needs to be off. I can't guarantee this will help you, but you might try it.

Devin

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok p88 devin,Ill give her a try.Also On my p38 the lever that works the saftey seems to work backwards to my way of thinking.EG.when lever is pushed down to the f it blocks the trigger .When it is pushed up to s the gun will fire.Seems to me thats backwards.Question here is does your gun funtion in the same manner. Does the s stand for shoot, and if so what does the f stand for.Ok thanks in advance.Hawkin50.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Yes, My P.38 safety functions the same way. And yes it is opposite of what most American's are used to. With a 1911, which most Americans are used to, the safety goes down.

S = Safe

F = Fire

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No p88.Just wondering if there is some other little thing that needs doing that Im not doing Have tryed it with the safty both on and off but now luck.The gun works fine I just thought it would be good to take the barrel and slide off and learn a little about how it work just in case I have problems some day then I can repair it my self.Its likely some thing thats not writen into the ass dis assembly manuel.Maybe I not reading the instuctions right.Anyways sooner or later I ll figure it out.No pannic here.Anyways thanks for keeping in touch.When I figure it out Ill let you know.Talk later.Hawkin50. Don.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts