Walther Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

What are your experiences with the Cerakoting preservation process?

·
Registered
137 Posts
I've had a Beretta 92FS and a Taurus PT908 Cerakoted and am very happy with the results. Being unfamiliar with the product prior, I'll admit I was skeptical but all apprehensions were alleviated upon completion. Per my 'smith, Cerakote is way more durable than bluing and about half the cost due to time and prep work. If I were to have one of my PPK/S' refinished, I would have it re-blued but the newer pistols that are, what is it, Tenifer? finished, I would go back with the Cerakote. See a couple shots of pre vs. post below. May be a few blems but I did not expect them to turn out as good as they did.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Once I get a holster for my other guns, I plan on sending my ppq in. I want it all black with copper accents/copper barrel. Seeing how nice yours came out deff pushed me towards doing this asap, what was the cost
For you, if you don’t mind me asking.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was any of the factory stampings lost? I expect any of the engraved logos would be untouched, but, many of our handguns have a stamping or stencil, that would be obliterated in the refinish process.
This would bother me.
I will say, that's one great looking finish!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Once I get a holster for my other guns, I plan on sending my ppq in. I want it all black with copper accents/copper barrel. Seeing how nice yours came out deff pushed me towards doing this asap, what was the cost
For you, if you don’t mind me asking.
Thank you; I am extremely pleased with how they came out. Can't give my 'smith enough props for his work. Seems like just the coating work was $80 for the slide and $80 for the lower frame not including the repair or finish prep work required prior to the refinishing. As you can see, both were in pretty bad shape so the bill was more than $160 total for each. The way he explained it to me was the Cerakote would cover small blems to a degree but bluing would not. He was right when he said "As with most things, the better the prep, the better the final product turns out.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Was any of the factory stampings lost? I expect any of the engraved logos would be untouched, but, many of our handguns have a stamping or stencil, that would be obliterated in the refinish process.
This would bother me.
I will say, that's one great looking finish!
Thank you. Again, I am very please with how they both came out. My phone pics really don't do them justice.
On the Beretta - no. All the markings, stamping, and serial # remained intact and very visible. On the Taurus, the PT908 marking and other info on the right side of the slide are gone but the serial # on the left side remained intact. I, like you, would very much like to have saved those but, in defense of my 'smith and as you can see above, the slide (and whole thing, really) was in such rough shape that to make it look decent, a LOT of sanding and polishing had to take place. Add that to the very minimal depth of the stamping, the 0.005" thickness or so of the Cerakote, and the loss of the factory markings on that side were just a casualty of repair that could not be helped. On this pistol, I'm fine with that. I'm not a big Taurus fan but my dad found it in the trunk of junk car about 20 years ago, broken, halfway submerged in a pool of water, and caked with red clay. He threw it in a corner of his shop where it languished until I eyeballed it one day last year and, as any good son would, promptly relieved him of it. LOL! It's not what one would call a collectible or highly desirable piece but I like it and hated to see it stay in the shape in which I found it. I have way more in repairing and refinishing it than it's worth but it shoots very well, is double action, and if something were to happen to it the world could keep on spinning and I really wouldn't lose much sleep over it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great detail "Walther Wood". I was wondering how that Taurus came to look so neglected.
Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I didn't have cerakoting, but I had "electro-less nickle" done on 2 of my WW2 walthers, came out like the original verchrompt finish. It was expensive and I did lose the markings but mainly due to the extensive pitting on the slides. The refinisher tried to keep as much as he could, but it wasn't very successful.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts