Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here had any cerakote experience on their PPS M2. Was it a good experience or a mistake. Appprox. how much did it cost. Did you change original color scheme(black/black)? I was thinking about dressing mine up a bit but did not know if there were any problems resulting from it such as diminished performance or loss of warranty. Can anybody recommend someone who is really good at it. Thanks

·
Registered
117 Posts
I had my PPS M1 cerakoted shortly after purchase almost two years ago. After carrying it for a few days in an old fashion leather IWB holster I discovered the slide lock and main take down pins were rusted. A cousin who owns a gun shop coated the slide, pins, mags and slide lock,installed supplied Mepro's for around a 140.00. I changed to a N8'2 holster and it's been a main CCW since. The cerakote has worn great, little wear and no rust issues. Finished in HK black and have been very happy with results. Cousins shop is Dixie Gunworx.com.

·
Registered
14 Posts
We are the Cerakote vendor for Walther Arms USA. To answer common questions about Cerakote, if done by us it does not void the warranty, the coating has a lifetime warranty through our shop against defects in the coating and maintains the factory warranty. The cost varies for custom work. All Walther firearms start at $60 per slide or frame in single color, $100 for a complete gun in single color. Additional colors and patterns will drive up the price from there.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Greeting!i ope to have a new PPS M2 in hand soon, and am interested in getting just the slider coated in either grey or silver stainless. It would not be for concealed carry, and would get moderate use at the range. Would cerakote be a good option, or should I look at other methods? Or should I just leave it alone?

These are from Firefox IG account, P99 sliders (I assume the factory coating is similar)

Thanks!

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8xY5Y1pYQR/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

·
Premium Member
1,475 Posts
Greeting!i ope to have a new PPS M2 in hand soon, and am interested in getting just the slider coated in either grey or silver stainless. It would not be for concealed carry, and would get moderate use at the range. Would cerakote be a good option, or should I look at other methods? Or should I just leave it alone?

These are from Firefox IG account, P99 sliders (I assume the factory coating is similar)

Thanks!

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8xY5Y1pYQR/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
It's your gun! Do what you want.

Not to be a smart guy but it comes down to that.

If you are doing it for practical reasons though, your PPS out of the box is already pretty corrosion resistant. More than you probably need it to be unless you spend time in salt walter with your gun.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Purely for stylistic reasons. I am just trying to figure out if there would be a downside.

It's your gun! Do what you want.

Not to be a smart guy but it comes down to that.

If you are doing it for practical reasons though, your PPS out of the box is already pretty corrosion resistant. More than you probably need it to be unless you spend time in salt walter with your gun.

·
Premium Member
1,475 Posts
Purely for stylistic reasons. I am just trying to figure out if there would be a downside.
I'd say understand it wears and you might have to redo it at some point. Not that big a deal I think.

Because its a relatively thicking coating, it might have to wear in. It can make some stuff with tight tolerances a little too tight. But it does wear in and sort itself out.

No super negatives. Some would say adding color to your gun makes it look like a toy and there is some danger in that but the colors you are thinking about really don't take you into that territory.

I'd say if you have the itch for a sliver or grey slide go for it. I think it will look good.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Greeting!i ope to have a new PPS M2 in hand soon, and am interested in getting just the slider coated in either grey or silver stainless. It would not be for concealed carry, and would get moderate use at the range.
If I may ask... why PPS, if you are not planning to carry?

Would cerakote be a good option, or should I look at other methods? Or should I just leave it alone?
These guns don't require any "methods", they are excellent right out of the box, and will serve you well for many years with proper care. Leave it alone and save your money for ammo and training. Don't forget the cleaning supplies and get the factory grease out before shooting it. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
You raise good questions and make logical statements. To amend, I 'probably' will not conceal carry'.

I liked the size, price and ease of use of the PPS over other Walther options...I had my heart set on a PPK or PPK/S (besides Bond, remember that the PPK ended two dictatorships!) but it was pricey for me, and I felt that it was not as easy to reliably fire in critical situations. I like the build quality of Walther in general, and believe the PPS to be a good choice if I only own one firearm.

That all said, I like the appearance of a stainless pistol, and think that it would look better to me if I added some silver or near silver color to the slide. Purely aesthetic. Fortunately I will still have adequate funds for ammo and training--I've taken several courses over the last seven years, and will continue to build my skills both through practice and instruction.

If I may ask... why PPS, if you are not planning to carry?

These guns don't require any "methods", they are excellent right out of the box, and will serve you well for many years with proper care. Leave it alone and save your money for ammo and training. Don't forget the cleaning supplies and get the factory grease out before shooting it. :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts