Walther Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone on here has had their slide Cerakoted, if so how they've liked it, and how well it's held up? I've noticed that the P99 as a whole seems to wear a lot more than my XD's, Glocks, Sig's, etc. I'm not sure if the coating on the slide just isn't quite as "hard" as the aforementioned pistols, I've just noticed it has a lot of blemishes/wear marks on both the frame and the slide compared to my other pistols when they've been used/carried a whole heck of a lot more, my P99 has always been extremely well cared for and not used a whole lot. Anyways I know I can't really do anything for the frame, but I was thinking of having the slide Cerakoted, so I was just curious if anyone had done it before and how they liked it. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Curious to see pictures of yours. My P99c really only has noticeable wear in one place where it rubs against the leather of my holster when being holstered or drawn, and it's been my carry gun for ~6 years, in addition to being used in USPSA for a significant portion of that time, so it's seen a good number of holster/draw repetitions. Shiny spots/wear marks are not necessarily indicative of the finish failing, BTW.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just sent my wife's p99 slide off for cerakoating. Getting some kind of sparkling silver... il post pics when its done... should be another 2 weeks... they said 3.

·
Premium Member
13,871 Posts
Just sent two PPQ 5" slides for cerakoating. Well, actually, the cerakoating will be to cover/coat the 'new' milled area on the slide which will accept the Q4/5 RMR factory mounting plates. :D

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Curious to see pictures of yours. My P99c really only has noticeable wear in one place where it rubs against the leather of my holster when being holstered or drawn, and it's been my carry gun for ~6 years, in addition to being used in USPSA for a significant portion of that time, so it's seen a good number of holster/draw repetitions. Shiny spots/wear marks are not necessarily indicative of the finish failing, BTW.
I'll take a few pictures tomorrow when I get home from work, I'm not sure how well they'll show up though, but we'll see. As for the finish, it's not failing or worn through, there are just a lot of visible marks on it, I really don't know how to describe them. If they show up on the pictures you'll be able to see what I mean, I haven't really carried the gun at all, when it's not being used it sits in a soft case, and it's been really well cared for, it hasn't been dropped or put somewhere, where things are going to rub against it, hit it, etc. So I was just a little taken aback by how much visible wear it has compared to my other pistols which haven't been abused, but they've been very very well used and they're pristine looking. Anyways I'll post some pics tomorrow.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Sounds to me that there may be some flaws in the nitride finish. Just a speculation from the description. If true, there's nothing wrong with the pistol, or the protection of the metal, for that matter, just a natural phenomenon that can occur through this nitriding on process. And, again if so, likely passed 'inspection' early on a Monday or late on a Friday.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I was just a little taken aback by how much visible wear it has compared to my other pistols which haven't been abused, but they've been very very well used and they're pristine looking. Anyways I'll post some pics tomorrow.
I'll be interested to see them. Given how pampered a life you've said it's lived, the wear you're describing is pretty surprising.

I have no idea whether Walther covers finish imperfections, but the warranty is lifetime, so calling them is an option.

On some level, even if they won't cover it and it's just cosmetic, if you want to refinish it and you're willing to pay for it, I'd say go for it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry guys, I just got home so I haven't had time to take the pics yet, going to try to get those tomorrow with natural light as opposed to the flash.

Sounds to me that there may be some flaws in the nitride finish. Just a speculation from the description. If true, there's nothing wrong with the pistol, or the protection of the metal, for that matter, just a natural phenomenon that can occur through this nitriding on process. And, again if so, likely passed 'inspection' early on a Monday or late on a Friday
Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk
Yeah there's absolutely nothing wrong with the pistol, it still shoots/preforms wonderfully, it's just the cosmetic stuff that I was a little worried about.

I'll be interested to see them. Given how pampered a life you've said it's lived, the wear you're describing is pretty surprising.

I have no idea whether Walther covers finish imperfections, but the warranty is lifetime, so calling them is an option.

On some level, even if they won't cover it and it's just cosmetic, if you want to refinish it and you're willing to pay for it, I'd say go for it.
I read over their warranty today while I was at work, it looks like it doesn't cover anything deemed cosmetic or general wear and tear, it strictly covers mechanical issues and such. Which even before I read it I figured they wouldn't cover anything cosmetic related, which I honestly don't expect them to. After reading a bit more about Cerakoting I think that's what I'm going to do, regardless I'll still post a few pics tomorrow so you can get a general idea of what i'm talking about.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So this post was over a month ago. When do we get to see the before/after pics? :)
Sorry guys, I ended up getting extremely busy with life so I didn't have a chance to post the pictures that I took. I'll be home in a little bit so let me resize them a bit, then I'll go ahead and post them. Again I'm really sorry about the delay.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Sorry guys, I ended up getting extremely busy with life so I didn't have a chance to post the pictures that I took. I'll be home in a little bit so let me resize them a bit, then I'll go ahead and post them. Again I'm really sorry about the delay.
Haha no worries, it was an equal blend of legitimate curiosity and just razzing you from me. Everybody gets busy with real life stuff. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts