Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Good price but what does "demo/like new" mean? Any idea of how these were stored or how many rounds went through them?
Not long after I got my P99, I ordered a "demo/like new" 12-round S&W-marked 40S&W magazine from CDNN. The mag functioned fine, but it didn't look anywhere near "demo/like new," as the bluing on the mag tube had dull splotches all over it and the plastic baseplate was severely scratched.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Not long after I got my P99, I ordered a "demo/like new" 12-round S&W-marked 40S&W magazine from CDNN. The mag functioned fine, but it didn't look anywhere near "demo/like new," as the bluing on the mag tube had dull splotches all over it and the plastic baseplate was severely scratched.
uh oh.:( maybe not such a great deal?

·
Registered
910 Posts
A brand new one from Midway sounds like a safer bet.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I just bought a couple from midway. They are 30 bucks each there.
Those are the Walther P99 15-round mags not the 16-round for $30 at Midway. The 16-round for the S&W 99 is on back order and Midway's price is $38. $30 for the 15-round is a good price and if you can't take care of business with 15-rounds, you don't need a higher capacity mag, you need air support.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Three questions:

Are the SW99 magazines Mec-Gar?

What is the external difference, if any, between the 16-shot S&W and the 15-shot Walther?

Are they interchangeable?

Thanks, M

·
Registered
910 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Aren't the S&W ones still made by MecGar?
'Wouldn't surprise me and come to think of it you could be right. I'll have to check the stamping on the newest S&W mag I bought. MecGar makes mags for most guns and their quality vs. ProMag (junk) is excellent. I would have no problems buying a MecGar mag, regardless of gun model.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
The manufacture of magazines is highly specialized, and most gunmakers these days prefer to buy, not make, them. Mec-Gar is the OEM for Walther and some other companies, hence my question regarding S&W. I would be surprised if S&W makes their own.

I've never examined an SW99 mag side-by-side with a P99 mag, and was curious why S&W's will accept an extra cartridge.

M

·
Registered
31 Posts
Those are the Walther P99 15-round mags not the 16-round for $30 at Midway. The 16-round for the S&W 99 is on back order and Midway's price is $38. $30 for the 15-round is a good price and if you can't take care of business with 15-rounds, you don't need a higher capacity mag, you need air support.
Oops, I missed the "16 rnd" in the first post. Well, anyway, I just ordered some yesterday, actually, and they are scheduled for delivery tomorrow. :eek:

·
Registered
118 Posts
I got 2 in the mail today

I got two in the mail today.

The main difference that I can tell is that the SW 16 rounder does not have any of the ridges on the side. The round count is on the side insead of the back.

odd numbers on the right 5, 10, 15

evens on the left 8, 12, 16.

The Base plate looks the same expect it has a SW logo instead of a Walther flag.

Also the follower is white in the SW mag and of course black in the Walther mag.

Inside... the mag looks... (let me get my glock tool and pop these guys open...

The walther mag spring has 9 turns
The SW mag spring has 11 turns. However the 8th turn is really odd. it is the turn the transitions from the large radius turn to the smaller radius turn. Also the SW spring is longer. The follower looks pretty much the same however is missing the tabs on the front and back of the follower.

Also the SW massed at 64.89 grams while the Walther mag massed at about 65.48 grams.

Both mags say made in Italy.

If I had to bet money I would say they are both made by Mec Gar.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Update

On the front of the SW mag it says...
"Restricted law enforcement
Gov't use and/ or export only 9-14-94
Mec-Gar USA Meridan CT"

I will probably order two more.

That way I will have four instead of two and then I will have something like 12 high caps for my Walther P99

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Goyko: Thank you for the detailed examination. It does explain how S&W got an extra cartridge into it. I've never seen such a spring as you describe. Does it appear that the smaller coils are intended to nest within the larger ones when the spring is fully compressed?

M

·
Registered
118 Posts
Goyko: Thank you for the detailed examination. It does explain how S&W got an extra cartridge into it. I've never seen such a spring as you describe. Does it appear that the smaller coils are intended to nest within the larger ones when the spring is fully compressed?

M
I will take a picture of it tonight

I just ordered 2 more from Cdnn

The guy at cdnn I talked to said that they have 50 more in stock. If you want one I would move on it now.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
The guy at cdnn I talked to said that they have 50 more in stock. If you want one I would move on it now.
Thanks, but I have no need for one. I never load double-column mags to full capacity anyway.

I distrust changes that seek to increase the capacity of any double-column magazine by changing the internal width, reducing the height of the follower supports, or increasing the compression on the spring. For any given cartridge, there is only one optimum width that maximizes upward feeding force and minimizes resistance and the tendency to spread the lips, and the greater the cartridge capacity the greater the need to stabilize the follower; forcing any spring to maximum compression (when it goes solid) will reduce its service life.

M

1 - 20 of 22 Posts