Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for P22 concealed carry options.

I have a Comforttac deep concealment belly band at the moment, and actually like it a lot. Mainly the versatility. I can have it like a shoulder holster, IWB, OWB, etc...

For my usual untucked t-shirts, I found just above the waistline works great. Stays well concealed, easy to reach, easy to use the head, etc...

But if I ever go back to working in an office,it seems to print too much with a tucked in polo shirt/pants, which is what my work "uniform" usually is.

Options? Anyone have a favorite P22 CCW holster that works well with pants/tucked-in-polo?

·
Registered
153 Posts
I honestly don't know of anyone who carries a P22 for concealed self-defense. The P22 is a plinker firearm.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now you know one person! We .22 carriers number more than you think. You probably know another and just don't know yet. If you're curious why I do:

1. People underestimate the penetration/damage that a .22 can do. I can send you some interesting trials/demonstrations/research if you're interested.
2. For my circumstances, I need a very small/light weapon, that's easy to conceal.
3. The P22 gives me 10 rounds while still meeting my requirements in #2. I really like 10 rounds.
4. With the cost of .22 ammo, I can afford to get very, very, very, good at it. I like my chances with my P22 better than a different firearm I can only fire 1/10th as often.

The P22 gives me something I'm likely to have on me (it's easy to carry) that I'll be very good at using (ammo cost almost a no-brainer).

I promise you, after 10 rounds in the chest from my P22, you'll be rethinking the choices that led you to that moment.

Everyone likes to cite "what about the PCP guy that feels nothing." Well, that's problem for every caliber. Expert shooter BJ Baldwin put 10 rounds into his assailant not long ago and the attack didn't stop until the 10th shot, which was to the head. And it's unlikely BJ was using a.22. A shot to the head from my P22 would've done the trick too.

Shot placement is king over caliber. And with the small recoil, and the amount of practice I'll be able to afford, I like my P22 for shot placement.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
1. People underestimate the penetration/damage that a .22 can do. I can send you some interesting trials/demonstrations/research if you're interested.
You'd be better off beating somebody with the P22, if it doesn't break into bits as you do it.

2. For my circumstances, I need a very small/light weapon, that's easy to conceal.
Walther PPK, Glock 42/43, Kimber Micro 380/9, Sig 238/938.

3. The P22 gives me 10 rounds while still meeting my requirements in #2. I really like 10 rounds.
Wouldn't need ten round if you stop the threat with the first one.

4. With the cost of .22 ammo, I can afford to get very, very, very, good at it. I like my chances with my P22 better than a different firearm I can only fire 1/10th as often.
You'd get really good at clearing jams, true.

The P22 gives me something I'm likely to have on me (it's easy to carry) that I'll be very good at using (ammo cost almost a no-brainer).

I promise you, after 10 rounds in the chest from my P22, you'll be rethinking the choices that led you to that moment.
Everyone likes to cite "what about the PCP guy that feels nothing." Well, that's problem for every caliber. Expert shooter BJ Baldwin put 10 rounds into his assailant not long ago and the attack didn't stop until the 10th shot, which was to the head. And it's unlikely BJ was using a.22. A shot to the head from my P22 would've done the trick too.
So he was firing something you assume was larger than a .22, didn't stop the threat until the tenth round, so you decide to step it down some more?

With the Kimber Micro 9 and the Glock 43, I've got 7 rounds of 9mm. I really like having a caliber that does more than cause a rash.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Seriously, ChartsCharts, Kar98 offers some great alternatives to your P22. I would offer the Sig P365 with a 12 round (9mm) magazine. The great thing about this country is that you are free to choose which CCW works best for you. Check out the Walther CCP M2. Adios

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I appreciate the discussion and suggestions.

Here's some hard data to consider: An Alternate Look at Handgun Stopping Power | Buckeye Firearms Association

If you look at the actual numbers, the lowly .22lr acquits itself nicely.

Even Ellifritz can't keep himself in his commentary from the orthodoxy that .22 isn't a good self-defensive round. But looking at his data, and nothing else, it shows the .22 does just fine. I wouldn't say it's the best, but it does just fine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Now you know one person! We .22 carriers number more than you think. You probably know another and just don't know yet. If you're curious why I do:

ChartsCharts... I would like to see that information you mention in #1 above. Please post it or send it to me. We have a lot in common reference #2-4. I have a 1911 45 ACP Commander. I don't mind carrying it but I can sure see where my P22 will be an easier carry at times.

·
Registered
153 Posts
There are many ways to slice a pie and statistics can be used to support almost any argument. If there is any law enforcement agency of any kind anywhere in the world that uses .22 cal. as a service weapon ............... I haven't heard of them. I hope your search for a proper holster meets with success.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@Target99 : "...anywhere in the world that uses .22 cal. as a service weapon..." Sure, and they don't have to worry about concealment and someone else pays for your training ammo! :)

As for using stats for "any" argument, that may be true, but in this case the author actually argues later against .22 for the usual (non-data related) reasons. So he wasn't looking to prove .22 was satisfactory. The opposite actually. He just had the surprising data that he then later had to explain away. There's data that shows .22 is effective. There's a ton of anecdotal "but it's smaller" gut feelings that say it isn't. I'll go with the data.

@mdtempleton The article I posted in post #6 just above yours is one.

Here's some others:

Ballistic gel tests (see if you'd like those tracks torn through you)

Penetration testing

Against bears with similar success/failure rates as other calibers:

·
Registered
108 Posts
To respond to your original question about holsters, take a look at Sticky Holsters. Midway USA has them for the P22. They are IWB holsters that stay inside the waistband by way of friction, rather than with a clip on the belt. I bought one for my own P22 and one for the wife's PPQ just so that I could have holsters to keep them in when they are ready in their stash locations. With that being said, I tested out the PPQ inside my waistband with the Sticky Holster, and it stayed in place very well. They are inexpensive, so it wouldn't hurt to try it out to see if you like it.

Personally, I prefer pocket carry for my P938, and I use a Galco Pocket Protector for that. Galco makes the "Stuck on You" pocket holster for the P22, though. Midway USA also carries those, but they are back ordered right now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts