Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems like each time I open this forum, the first thing I read is more questions or comments about the "problems being fixed". I am certainly not here to try to state that these problems are not valid. Just like any car, headphones, tv, or anything else made by a manufacturer, some have issues.
This post is simply to say that not all is horrible with this little wonder gun. Nearing a year and about 3000 rounds, and the only time that we have any issues with ours is if I neglect cleaning it. I typically clean at about 300-400 rounds. It is every bit as accurate (if not more so) than my Sig P365, and the ergonomics are sheer perfection. The CCP is my wife's EDC and she is very comfortable with it.
Perhaps... Like those cars, headphones and TV's, we got a gem...

·
Registered
211 Posts
Glad to hear this, I as well have had minimal issue with my gen 1 ccp. I've got about 2200 rounds through it, love it. I just wish someone would come up with a +2 mag extension.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I also concur. I purchased mine, CCP M1, as someone else's problem gun for $100.
I cleaned it and have put a few hundred rounds downrange with no issues to speak of.
The gun or the shooter..in some cases it can be debated.
Mine is in the carry rotation also.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried the +1 mag extension from Galloway and it just made the mag stick, and you lose the pinky grip. Took it off after 1 range trip. Great to hear that others love theirs as well.

·
Premium Member
1,523 Posts
I glad to hear that you guys like yours. It's on my list for this year sometime.

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
I don't doubt that plenty of people had problems....I also don't doubt that some of you guys aren't having any. Walther has been know to make small changes as they go along and unless someone is really looking closely at model year to model year....you won't know about them. Hope to hear of more and more owners having 100% pistols. That is what is required for self defense. 1917

·
Registered
7 Posts
Glad to have found this positive. I just purchased my CCP M2 and will pick up Wednesday. I'll provide feedback

> Whats the best practice ammo you've had success with? I'd like to try a range - 115, 124 & 147 - just to see what works best for me.

From many of the reviews, seems FMJ runs most reliably?

My principal takeaways from hundreds of reviews are CCPs are:
> great if kept lubed & cleaned after each practice
> respect that it does have sweet spot of ammo that performs best.

Finally, the CCP definitely seems to be a 'lemon lottery' manufactured item. You have a great one or occasionally they send out a huge problem magnet. But when its great..everyone seems to agree its an amazing/outstanding fun, reliable firearm.

So, I purchased because it was absolutely the best 'feel' handgun for me, and fills the tricky carry/range/defense roles I need. Knowing about the lemons, I was re-assured by Walther's amazing warranty work. If I get a lemon, I am prepared to keep sending back until its not.

Thoughts? Prayers?

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Glad to have found this positive. I just purchased my CCP M2 and will pick up Wednesday. I'll provide feedback

> Whats the best practice ammo you've had success with? I'd like to try a range - 115, 124 & 147 - just to see what works best for me.

From many of the reviews, seems FMJ runs most reliably?

My principal takeaways from hundreds of reviews are CCPs are:
> great if kept lubed & cleaned after each practice
> respect that it does have sweet spot of ammo that performs best.

Finally, the CCP definitely seems to be a 'lemon lottery' manufactured item. You have a great one or occasionally they send out a huge problem magnet. But when its great..everyone seems to agree its an amazing/outstanding fun, reliable firearm.

So, I purchased because it was absolutely the best 'feel' handgun for me, and fills the tricky carry/range/defense roles I need. Knowing about the lemons, I was re-assured by Walther's amazing warranty work. If I get a lemon, I am prepared to keep sending back until its not.

Thoughts? Prayers?
I agree the CCP feels absolutely amazing in the hand.

Let us know how it shoots!

There were a lot of reports of issues with the early guns. Seems like that has tapered off. Hard to know if that's because the guns have gotten more reliable or if people have stopped buying them.
Good luck with yours. Let us know how it's going.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I agree the CCP feels absolutely amazing in the hand.

Let us know how it shoots!

There were a lot of reports of issues with the early guns. Seems like that has tapered off. Hard to know if that's because the guns have gotten more reliable or if people have stopped buying them.
Good luck with yours. Let us know how it's going.
Likely a little of bit of both I'm sure. But mostly I do think it was manufacturing/engineering shortcomings. It was a wholly new model for Walther unlike anything they have.

So, they had a steep learning engineering/manufacturing curve on subtle stresses/glitches of a gas blowback in a ccw platform. As always, things can be tested for years & 'perfected' but once the public gets it, amazing how new shortcomings/stress points are found.

I've researched a lot and Walther seems to be one of those manufacturers that does tweak its manufacturing even while in production as it gets more feedback. Understandable that they do that as they have that lifetime warranty cost hanging over them. Still they have a great rep & this is an awesome feeling gun so...

I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks Jimmo!

Happy shooting!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have found that our CCP can be ammo picky. Remington 115gr FMJ seems to be the food of choice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks RBoyz. I’ll keep that in mind. I went ahead and ordered this selection from Buds.

Products
1 x WIN USA 9MM 147GR FMJ FN 50/10
Item has not Shipped $10.42
1 x American Eagle AE9AP Full Metal Jacket 50RD 124gr 9mm
Item has not Shipped $9.73
1 x Winchester 9mm 115gr FMJ Brass Case 50ct Box (SG9W)
Item has not Shipped $8.49
1 x Fiocchi 9MM 124 Grain Full Metal Jacket

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi RBoyz - I sent a Reply earlier this week but guess it didn't take. Thats what I heard too. So, picked up a range of ammo to try.

Took her out to the range today and broke her in with 100 rounds.

50 rounds Winchester 9mm 115gr FMJ Brass Case
50 rounds Fiocchi 9MM 124 Grain Full Metal Jacket

Sweet gun to shoot. Veeeerrrry comfortable. Seemed to prefer the 124gr. Held tight groups when I had my aiming under control. Only one limp wrist misfeed otherwise perfect operation. Does get very hot right above the trigger.

I'll need to do something about the sights as they are impossible to see in the lighting at the range. I'll try some dayglo bright white model paint at the hobby shop. Thinking I'll just fill the recesses of the current.

All in all really enjoyed shooting it. Very pleased since it seems it will fully satisfied the 3 roles I need it to play (home defense, recreational shooting, potential future concealed carry) so I don't have to have multiple guns.

BTW - The Range Master almost didn't want to hand it back. He loved the feel.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi RBoyz - I sent a Reply earlier this week but guess it didn't take. Thats what I heard too. So, picked up a range of ammo to try.

Took her out to the range today and broke her in with 100 rounds.

50 rounds Winchester 9mm 115gr FMJ Brass Case
50 rounds Fiocchi 9MM 124 Grain Full Metal Jacket

Sweet gun to shoot. Veeeerrrry comfortable. Seemed to prefer the 124gr. Held tight groups when I had my aiming under control. Only one limp wrist misfeed otherwise perfect operation. Does get very hot right above the trigger.

I'll need to do something about the sights as they are impossible to see in the lighting at the range. I'll try some dayglo bright white model paint at the hobby shop. Thinking I'll just fill the recesses of the current.

All in all really enjoyed shooting it. Very pleased since it seems it will fully satisfied the 3 roles I need it to play (home defense, recreational shooting, potential future concealed carry) so I don't have to have multiple guns.

BTW - The Range Master almost didn't want to hand it back. He loved the feel.

I was not happy with the sites at the range either, they were pretty dark.
I found these paint pens at Field & Stream and did them about a year ago. Big difference, for about $15.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
I too am happy with my CCP. It replaced my PPK as my EDC several years ago. I bought a second one a couple of years ago and put TruGlo sights on one. I wish there were more aftermarket sight options. I train with it regularly with no issues. Never really had much issue with the take down after a little practice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Glad you’re enjoying the CCP, Joker!

New owners: be sure to clean and lube when you get the gun before taking it to the range. Gas piston really needs good cleaning and lubrication to push the slide & eject properly.

I’ve been cleaning with Seal1 CLP Which leaves a lubricating conditioning. I’ve noticed the slide is much smoother to operate than ‘out of the box’ and have no issues with FTEs.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Glad you’re enjoying the CCP, Joker!

New owners: be sure to clean and lube when you get the gun before taking it to the range. Gas piston really needs good cleaning and lubrication to push the slide & eject properly.

I’ve been cleaning with Seal1 CLP Which leaves a lubricating conditioning. I’ve noticed the slide is much smoother to operate than ‘out of the box’ and have no issues with FTEs.
Are you putting lube on the piston?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I’ve been cleaning with Seal1 CLP Which leaves a lubricating conditioning.
I wonder if that increases carbon build up on the piston? I was told to lubricate everything but the piston. I use bore cleaner with a tooth brush and the wire brush that comes with the pistol. It usually does well at removing carbon build up on the piston. I also clean the piston chamber with cotton patches soaked in Hoppes #9. I think failing to clean both of those parts properly is why so many people have issues.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I wonder if that increases carbon build up on the piston? I was told to lubricate everything but the piston. I use bore cleaner with a tooth brush and the wire brush that comes with the pistol. It usually does well at removing carbon build up on the piston. I also clean the piston chamber with cotton patches soaked in Hoppes #9. I think failing to clean both of those parts properly is why so many people have issues.
Best options, as on the HK P7 family, seem to be to run the piston/cylinder dry or use a dry Teflon (PTFE) which is what I do with Elmer's Slide-All (inexpensive). Some carbon on the rings is unavoidable but does help make a better compression seal—like piston rings in an engine. If you see carbon deposits on more than two or three rings (three on a P7), it's probably time to have the piston replaced. Clean but don't scrub, then dry or dry lube, is my advice.

https://www.hardwareworld.com/files/pi/lK/S/7OAK.jpg

https://www.hardwareworld.com/p7oak...CTmVCfugj_SW_9FXhTwh0Ly20mzUxsohoC5MYQAvD_BwE

1 - 20 of 33 Posts