Walther Forums banner

41 - 60 of 1126 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
JTF101--

My CCP does have that click.

It is, of course, difficult to identify the location/source simply by listening. Be that as it may, it seems to be coming from the area of the hook at the back of the slide.

·
Registered
9,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Get out from under that desk and get back to work........the boss. :p

I lightened Jeremy's picture of his slide to better show the condition of his striker spring. As you can see the windings are still tight. I expect that bump is the striker and perhaps something on the rear frame insert engaging the striker (firing pin) safety and pressing it down. As you know, when you rack the slide...you rack the striker and you probably rack it a bit even when it is in the cocked position. Anyway, my guess is this is where the bump is. What I do is turn the slide upside down next to the pistol and see if I can see what parts run into what parts as I imagine I'm pulling the slide rearward. Pressing the striker rearward by hand or with a pencil should indicate any parts that it might hit also....like the spring loaded safety you see there. Does it protrude into the striker channel? M1911

·
Registered
756 Posts
Does anyone else's CCP slide seem to stick when the striker is cocked? When mine is cocked it is difficult to initially pull the slide and when you do get it moving it makes a very audible metallic click a it lets go, like something is out of place. If there's no one else with the issue, I'll post a video later this afternoon.

I addressed this in my new video from today, as I said I would:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aFtFZ45Vac

·
Registered
9,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)
I finally got my hands on a CCP today....sort of. I was out at Simmons Sporting in Bessemer and the usual big crowd was in the store having a good time looking at this or that and specifically firearms. Have you ever tried to belly up to the bar at 8 pm. Just like that. :p The good news is they had plenty of salespeople behind the counter. Anyway, they didn't have any CCPs and reported that they had sold a dozen or two. Then the salesman offered that another guy behind the counter owned one and asked could we borrow it. Sure he said. Now we are cooking. I looked the outside over, gripped it...yepper, everything fine there just as I expected. I pulled the slide back and locked it open with the P22 slide stop arm. The chamber was blue or black....so I stuck my finger in there to wipe whatever might be on it off. Nothing was on it...it was blued or whatever.....but it had been filed on or ground on and then blued. The salesman took a close look and agreed someone had been working there.

Then I flipped the pistol over and had a look at what I could see of the rear of the breech. The firing pin stop button, don't look at me, that is what Walther calls it......Id call it a striker stop since there is no firing pin as such) but it moves up and down easily and freely. I was only able to see the rear 1" or so of the channel rail and it had the beginnings of the additional machining marks. The rear of the slide stops immediately in front of the firing pin stop when locked. I could not see far enough to see if there was a hole. In fact when the slide is retracted you can't see much of anything under there....all of the striker and springs and catches etc. move forward with the slide. We went over issues some folks were having with the rear take down catch. I explained how it worked but told him some owners were having issues there. The owner said he had had no function issues with it. I could not see any of the striker spring either.

When the slide is cycled there is a catch or sharp bump 1/8" rearward from full closed. I'll give you all my two cents. It is the slide bumping into the trigger bar and disengaging it from the cylinder. I didn't test this as it was another guys gun but if you press the slide rearward I bet the trigger is disconnected very quickly. This is common on semi auto pistols which is why you should never let the perp get his hands on your muzzle or press the muzzle into an attacking body. If the slide moves rearward...the trigger will be disconnected and you won't be able to fire. Same thing on a M1911 and most other semi autos. Possibly some fine polishing or light re-profiling of the top, rear of the disconnect bump on the trigger bar would smooth this up. I will have to say I've never felt this on any other semi auto.

With regard to the strength of the recoil spring it is certainly not .22 light. I'd put is just a bit easier than my .32 PP. This is something that would take a bit of effort to determine. How large the grip area is, the tactical feel, etc. are all things that would have to be considered but it does require effort to cycle. A friend was over the other day with a polymer, full size Sig of some model in 9mm and it was every bit as easy to cycle. Full size pistol of course. I had imagined less. I guess if you have issues cycling a slide we will soon be hearing more about that from shooters with weaker hands. I don't have a problem with any of them so it is a bit hard for me to say if this one is soft enough. As I left the salesman was racking the slide back and forth over the bump trying to figure out what was causing it. Many thanks to the sales staff and owner of the CCP. From what I read the function of these is better than some of the bubba work we are seeing. Hopefully Walther will get it together soon. Perhaps they already have. M1911

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am going to look into this "click" restriction felling tonight. The trigger disconnect may or may not be the culprit. I see that the trigger enable is controled by a small plunger on the on the left lower assembly. I took mine apart last night and polished all the internal moving parts and the feed ramp that did have some tool marks. I had a lot of restrictions in my striker channel from the famous "vent/inspection" slot in the slide. I filed the hanging pieces of metal and now the striker moves very smooth. This would likely have affect on the spring longevity too.

Update: The click is the striker being released by the drop safety plunger which is depressed when moving slide to rear to provide the striker spring with room to compress as slide travels to the rear. This is because of the center rear anchor point of the slide. The click is the striker being caught by the trigger catch/ release ramp. Trigger is disconnected by the same method as how the safety works. This is by depressing the trigger connecting rod.

·
Registered
9,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Here is what I think I know about the trigger bar. It is similar to the layout of any PP pistol. Pulling the trigger pulls it forward. There is a plunger mounted under it that presses it upward so that the hook at the rear end will engage an arm on the rotating cylinder. This cylinder is round, passes through the rear of the frame insert and has a flat slot on it that pivots the sear as it is rotated. The trigger bar can be held down and away from the cylinder by the slide and the safety. Unless the slide is all the way forward and the top bump on the trigger bar sitting in the semi circular recess machined in the slide for it....the bar will be pressed down and away from the cylinder. Pulling the trigger will simply move the trigger bar back and forth.

When you begin to move the slide rearward the bump on the trigger bar is to be knocked down disengaging the trigger bar. I'm thinking the trigger bar doesn't disengage smoothly. The hump doesn't ride out of the recess easily or something along those lines. Could be wrong...probably am. :D M1911

·
Registered
10 Posts
The click is the striker being released by the drop safety plunger which is depressed when moving slide to rear to provide the striker spring with room to compress as slide travels to the rear. This is because of the center rear anchor point of the slide. The click is the striker being caught by the trigger catch/ release ramp. Trigger is disconnected by the same method as how the safety works. This is by depressing the trigger connecting rod.

·
Registered
9,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I can't quite follow that. Guess it is a case of needing one in hand. Is the striker caught inside of the channel somehow by the drop safety?

I also thought the safety was too easy to rotate also on the one I handled yesterday. My opinion is that if you have a safety it should snick into place firmly, not be difficult to rotate but require enough force so that it will stay in position even if bumped on a holster or whatever. M1911

·
Registered
24 Posts
I finally heard from Walther today. A one sentence email telling me to fill out a service form and return it with a shipping label. No apology, no explanation, nothing. This is bull****.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I care. I put $450 into something I can't use. You buy from certain manufacturers with an expectation of quality. Give us your money and send it back until it works is Hi-Point's game, and not what you should expect from Walther, which is part of the reason you spend $450-600 instead of $150. It's not unreasonable to expect something from them besides, send it back... and it's not too hard to say "A few prototypes slipped out" or "We appreciate your business and are working hard to figure this out" or or or. I sell firearms for a living, so what am I supposed to tell my customers? Especially the ones that I sent in Walther's direction.

·
Registered
81 Posts
JTF

Please keep us updated. I should think Walther more likely to provide a cogent discussion to one who sells firearms, such as yourself.

·
Registered
9,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
I'm not sure what customer service can tell you or is allowed to tell you. I couldn't tell you without really good pictures and better yet....pistol in hand. I think that is the best you can hope for. Ruger doesn't talk, Smith doesn't talk, Winchester and Remington don't talk. You will likely get a sheet with what was replaced if anything or what was done and perhaps how many rounds the pistol was tested with.

Here is what I would tell them. I want a new barrel that has not been hand filed on but properly machined and blued. And, I want a slide that has been properly milled.....or I want my money back.

At this point, I think sending you a return label is the correct thing for Walther to do. Let's hope your pistol returns in a condition you can be proud of and one in which it runs 100% for a long time. M1911

oh yeah....until this is sorted I'm renewing my interest in the PPS or the P99c as with those paddles.

·
Registered
756 Posts
A one sentence email telling me to fill out a service form and return it with a shipping label. No apology, no explanation, nothing. This is bull****.
Walther doesn't provide the shipping label like Ruger and S&W?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Walther made no offer to pay for my slide return either, cost me $6 bucks USPS. They are into me for $435 now and I fired 106rds and had it for two days. Probably not money well spent...
We'll see.

·
Premium Member
13,536 Posts
Sad story.....I have no doubt Walther is aware of the problem. And they should be able to track down a serial number range of affected pistols. With that information, they can then track down owners of these pistols and offer each owner a complete refund, and offer to provide them with a NEW Gen 2 CCP, Free of charge.

This will SELL PISTOLS. Anything less and they'll just be shooting themselves in the foot......now THAT would be sad and incredibly ..... well, not smart.

·
Registered
289 Posts
That would be great if they offered that, not gonna hold my breath.
I will tell them upon return of slide, if the gun fails again, in any way, I will expect a full refund. May not hold my breath for that result either!

41 - 60 of 1126 Posts