Walther Forums banner

161 - 180 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ive had multiple problems with Freedom Munitions 115 gr. reloads. Seemed to work better with 124 gr. At one point the slide completely locked up about 1/2 inch out of battery. Had to take a plastic mallet to break it loose. Seemed like the brass was stuck in the chamber. Taking it back to the range tomorrow with 124 gr new ammo from Freedom to see if its reliable. At this point I'm a little disappointed with the CCP as it isn't functioning for its designed purpose - concealed carry. I really like the ergonomics of it. Fits my hand perfectly. Now if I can only rely on it to function. We'll see.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Shot 200 Rounds - no failures

150 rounds - FEDERAL RTP 9MM 115 GRAIN FMJ BRASS CASED
25 rounds - REMINGTON GOLDEN SABER 9MM 147 GRAIN
25 rounds - REMINGTON GOLDEN SABER 9MM 125 +P GRAIN

Noticed better recoil and groupings with the Saber rounds versus the Federal but didn't notice a difference between the Sabers loads

·
Registered
3 Posts
Follow up observations

Ive had multiple problems with Freedom Munitions 115 gr. reloads. Seemed to work better with 124 gr. At one point the slide completely locked up about 1/2 inch out of battery. Had to take a plastic mallet to break it loose. Seemed like the brass was stuck in the chamber. Taking it back to the range tomorrow with 124 gr new ammo from Freedom to see if its reliable. At this point I'm a little disappointed with the CCP as it isn't functioning for its designed purpose - concealed carry. I really like the ergonomics of it. Fits my hand perfectly. Now if I can only rely on it to function. We'll see.
So, went back to the range. Here are my thoughts and observations. Freedom Munitions 115 grain round nose ammo - rounds were getting caught at the bottom of the feed ramp right out of the mag. I made sure that all rounds were properly loaded into mag and seated to the rear of the mag. As I inserted magazine into the firearm, the first round got caught on the bottom leading edge of the feed ramp pushing it into a nose down position. This was the same thing that was happening to subsequent rounds during firing.

This did not happen with Freedom Munitions 124 gr JHP or 115 gr JHP XTP ammo. It appears that the Freedom Munitions 115 gr round nose ammo is a little longer and therefore getting caught on the feed ramp and pushed nose down into the mag. I've not had this problem with Freedom Munitions 9mm ammo in any other firearm and I have fired literally thousands of rounds in everything from Taurus, Sig, S&W, Canik, FMK, Ruger and several others.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just recently got my CCP from Bud's Gun Shop , been to busy to hit the great spot that I practice at because of the time frame at work , but have over 300 rounds that the wife and me are going to break this CCP in well . I'll try to report back with the results of the shell useage and how many fails take place too , Marshall :eek:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Blazer Brass 124 and American Eagle 124 get eaten like candy. HST HP 124 two failures (failure to extract) in one mag. I will not use HST HP for EDC. Looking to American Gunner 124 +P

·
Registered
19 Posts
Here's my 500+ round report.

Browning 115 gr ball--150 rounds
Remington UMC 124 gr ball--250
Federal American Eagle 115 gr Syntech ball--100
Hornady Custom 147 gr XTP--25
Sig Elite Performance 124 gr V-Crown--20

All shot at 10 m air pistol targets set at 10 yards, spread over 4 sessions at the dirt pile since Christmas 2016. Some were shot with a rest, to gauge relative precision of different ammo in my gun, all others were shot two handed to get a feel for the gun. Some general observations:

--My gun really likes the Sig ammo, shooting 1.25" groups from a rest and 2" freehand. Felt very consistent, near +P velocity per label, and shot point of aim. Not the plated brass, but 50 rd boxes from Gander;

--The Remington was dirty and inconsistent, with visible smoke. Brass flung all over, some hitting top of head, one into shirt pocket and others to 12 ft away. Primers were flattened and extruded into firing pin hole. Shoots a bit low with 6" vertical stringing even from rest;

--Browning was less dirty than Rem but similar on target;

--Hornady felt consistent like Sig, but group sizes were nearly double;

--The Federal Syntech was interesting. Red plastic coated bullets worried me a bit, maybe plug up gas port ahead of chamber? Two boxes with no problems, felt fairly consistent and shot POA into 3" from rest with a couple flyers.

I will try some others eventually, maybe reload my own, but for now I will practice with the Syntech and load the Sigs for defense. Did have half a dozen failures, mostly with the Remingtons and all likely my fault. Two were failure to go into battery and one failure to eject (limp-wristed and felt it), and a couple mag drops (found gloved thumb on release, switched button to other side, then ok).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Seems to be shooting better

Got my our CCP back from Walther after factory recall work. Ran over 100 rounds of Federated 115 grn (24 rds), Federated HST 124 grn (our SD round of choice, 16 rds), and Winchester 115 grn (72 rds). Did not have a single malfunction. Have never had an issue with with the Federated HST rds (though have only shot 50 something HST rds through it). We mainly saw issues with factory reloads (Midway Ammo available through Point Blank gun stores/ranges). Before the recall work, I did have the occasional malfunction with the Winchester ammo (maybe every 3-4 magazines?), but nothing during the last range time. My wife has experienced many more malfunctions than I have (shooting technique? "limp wrist"?). After this last range work, I am much more comfortable with the weapon as a SD weapon.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Got my our CCP back from Walther after factory recall work. Ran over 100 rounds of Federated 115 grn (24 rds), Federated HST 124 grn (our SD round of choice, 16 rds), and Winchester 115 grn (72 rds). Did not have a single malfunction. Have never had an issue with with the Federated HST rds (though have only shot 50 something HST rds through it). We mainly saw issues with factory reloads (Midway Ammo available through Point Blank gun stores/ranges). Before the recall work, I did have the occasional malfunction with the Winchester ammo (maybe every 3-4 magazines?), but nothing during the last range time. My wife has experienced many more malfunctions than I have (shooting technique? "limp wrist"?). After this last range work, I am much more comfortable with the weapon as a SD weapon.
I think you mean Midwest ammo. I've heard from a few places that it's loaded very light which may be the problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks russc2542. It is Midwest not Midway. I had not heard about the possibility that Midwest may be reloading light relative to more standard loads. I talked to a Point Blank employee what they knew about the Midwest ammo awhile ago but they did not mention anything about lighter loads. Next time I go in I will definitely ask more specific questions and keep trying to get some kind of spec sheet on Midwest's ammo. That or I guess I could dissect a few rounds myself and go all Ducky (NCIS) on it. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ammo report addendum.

Another 100+ rounds today.

Two mags of some older Winchester white box 115 gr ball, shot fairly well but with at least half the rounds I could feel a slight delay in the slide closing into battery as the bullets apparently snagged on the feed ramp. One tried to nose down into the mag but popped back up and into the chamber as I tilted the gun to look.

50 Blazer Brass 124 gr ball. No failures and all hit inside 3 inches except a couple fliers. Felt pretty smooth, so I'll spend some more time with these.

Another 50 Remington 124 gr ball. Threw brass hither and yon again but otherwise shot very well today. Two mags on paper inside 2 inches, and the rest thrown at a steel spinner and miscellaneous pieces of clay tile mixed into the dirt pile.

I'm in the process of changing my grip, which may explain why the Remingtons shot better today--coulda been me, still learning to shoot this kind of pistol.

Planning to get a few boxes of IMI 124 gr ball soon, and will share results.

·
Registered
1 Posts
CCP and +P

I am relatively new to firearms and purchased the CCP. I LOVE the feel and grip and the gas-recoil (soft-coil) design. Page 12 of the CCP manual seems to caution against use of +P ammo (due to extra servicing). But it also seems that I have read somewhere else that +P ammo can cause malfunctions in the gas-recoil design due to over-pressure (but I don't really understand that.)

1) Does +P increase a risk of malfunction in the CCP? Any experience with this?
2) For self defense, I am very interested in the Ruger ARX ammo which is +P or the Inceptor ARX which is not +P.

- Ruger ARX +P (65 gr): 1620 fps / 379 ft lbs (muzzle)
- Inceptor ARX (65 gr): 1545 fps / 345 ft lbs (muzzle)
(I am also confused because apparently there is an 80 grain version as well.)
- Hornady Critical Defense (115 gr): 1140 fps / 332 ft lbs (muzzle)

3) I am interested in anyone that has experience shooting the ARX round (specify if +P) and any issues with the CCP specifically using that round.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I am relatively new to firearms and purchased the CCP. I LOVE the feel and grip and the gas-recoil (soft-coil) design. Page 12 of the CCP manual seems to caution against use of +P ammo (due to extra servicing). But it also seems that I have read somewhere else that +P ammo can cause malfunctions in the gas-recoil design due to over-pressure (but I don't really understand that.)

1) Does +P increase a risk of malfunction in the CCP? Any experience with this?
2) For self defense, I am very interested in the Ruger ARX ammo which is +P or the Inceptor ARX which is not +P.

- Ruger ARX +P (65 gr): 1620 fps / 379 ft lbs (muzzle)
- Inceptor ARX (65 gr): 1545 fps / 345 ft lbs (muzzle)
(I am also confused because apparently there is an 80 grain version as well.)
- Hornady Critical Defense (115 gr): 1140 fps / 332 ft lbs (muzzle)

3) I am interested in anyone that has experience shooting the ARX round (specify if +P) and any issues with the CCP specifically using that round.
If you're at the knowledge level to ask that, I'd suggest just sticking to the manual and proven, conventional hollow-points like the Critical Defense.

Wear is proportional to loading on any mechanical device, even if a gun's rated for +P, there's usually a caveat that springs will require replacing sooner. I do know from testing a variety of my reloads that the CCP functions best in the mid-high pressure range. It doesn't like low power and I don't like very high power in it (not enough mass to absorb the recoil/shock load). Refresh my memory, does the manual state "Don't" or "not much"?

I would worry more about the timing and mechanics of the HV ammo than the actual pressure involved. the problem is the gas system balances recoil and gas system pressure and drops the pressure at a certain point and all that... I can't say my CCP is exactly finicky about ammo but the gas piston system is going to be inherently more picky about timing than a conventional tilt-barrel. Sort of like a pistol gas port on a 20" barrelled AR or rifle gas system on a SBR. That being said, I have not tried light, HV ammo in my CCP and they may run spectacularly.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've not fired any high velocity or +P labeled ammo, but I've shot a couple different nearly +P 124 gr loads. Sig 124 gr V-crown shoot very well in my CCP. Consistently smooth, small groups, no hiccups, very comfortable with them. Bought a few boxes of IMI 124 gr ball, which is NATO spec therefore higher pressure, and it seems to have a prolonged recoil cycle. Perhaps the higher pressure messes with how the gas system works. I can almost see the slide cycle, and can hear and feel it slamming into battery after the shot. Only fired a couple mags through it because of a different agenda that day, and my hand was tired so coulda been me. Gonna shoot some more of it when I'm fresh, and will report back. Was an interesting experience.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just put 50 rounds of Remington 147 grn HTP subsonic through my new to me CCP. No problems. Followed it up with 20 rounds of the GBH manufactured "Colt" branded Sold Copper Hollow Points. Still no problems. Then about 24 rounds of mixed left overs, mostly Federal Hydro Shoks and IMI round nose with one Ruger ARX +P. Still no problems.

This gun seems reliable with what I have on hand which is mostly higher end 9mm since I have a lot of it left from before the ammo crunch.

·
Registered
19 Posts
OK, cracked the 1,000 round mark. Shot Fiocchi 115 gr ball and more of the IMI 124 gr ball, and I can confidently state that my CCP does not like the Fiocchi. At least 2 jams of one sort or another with each mag, consistently through 100 rounds of it. Same experience with the IMI as prior, seems to have a slightly slower recoil cycle, and I can usually feel the slide hit home. They go where I want them to, and had only one jam, but was shooting off a rolled towel rest with that mag, which I have found often results in occasional jams with this gun regardless of the ammo.

Will try some Federal American Eagle 124 gr ball next, but also working with daughter and the BuckMark, and just bought a mouse gun to play with.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hornady FTX Lite

I fired a ton of different ammo through my CCP M2 the other day and the one that really shocked me was the Hornady FTX Lite ammo that my wife runs in her Ruger LC9.

I wasn't sure the CCP would cycle it given the gas system, but WOW! No failures or jams of any kind, ran like sewing machine. It was amazing; no recoil at all and dead on grouping.

Has anyone else tried this stuff in their CCP?

*Edit: Wow, digging up a forum corpse here huh....

·
Registered
56 Posts
I think we can benefit each other by telling everyone what we've used and how reliable it was. Post it up! Also moderator can I get a sticky?

Range
Good
Lawman 115gr 50 rds 0 fails
Federal 115gr 100 rds 0 fails
Federal Champion 115gr 50 rds 0 fails
Sellier & Bellot 115gr 50 rds 0 fails
Black Hills 115gr 20 rds 0 fails
Gecco 124gr 50 rds 0 fails
Armscor 124gr 50 rds 0 fails
Asym 147gr 50 rds 0 fails

Bad
Magtech 115gr 50 rds 1 fail
Detroit Bullet Works 115gr 50 rds 1 fail
Winchester White Box 115gr 50 rds 2 fails
HPR 115gr 50 rds 4 fails
American Eagle 115gr 200 rds 6 fails
PMC Bronze 115gr 50 rds 6 fails
Stand 1 Armory 115gr 100 rds 10 fails
Remington 115gr 100 rds 12 fails
Blazer Brass 115gr 100 rds 16 fails

Ugly
Fiocchi 115gr 50 rds Full Lockup, 2 fails
Lapua 123gr combat 12 rds Full lockup, 2 fails

Self Defense
Winchester PDX1 124gr +P 20 rds 0 fails
Hornady Critical Defense 115gr 20 rds 0 fails
Sig Sauer V Crown 124gr 20 rds 2 fails
Asym Tactical 124gr +P 20 rds 6 fails
Go ahead and add all brass reloads to the Bad Range Ammo list.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Howdy. Seems this thread is a bit on the quiet side. Sad. Not sure how many owners of the CCP and CCP M2 there are, but my first 50-round experience at the range seemed fine with 115 range ammo they provided. However, I bought a box of range 115 ball and had 4 failures in the period of 20 minutes. Was disconcerting. Anyone else having partial feed issues in the recent past? If so, what brand or other details? Thanks in advance for sharing!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Well, I have about 3000 rounds through mine
Remmington umc 115g
Winchester white box 124g
Sellier & bellot 124g
Remmington military overstock 115g
Winchester silvertip 147g
And even hornaday high $$$ critical defense
0 fail to feed
0 fail to fire