Walther Forums banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Neither is going to reduce weight if that’s the real issue. She could try an alloy j-frame, but recoil of alloy j frames is unacceptable for many. I have one and have to use a rather large hogue grip to make it shootable. By contrast, the PPS has amazingly little recoil. I had been concerned that it would be difficult to shoot with the short magazine (2 finger grip) but it’s a non issue. Issues for your friend will be whether she can jack the slide. There are some new models from S&W and Springfield (EZ models) that have reduced weight recoil springs for shooters with limited hand strength but neither is a small gun. Designers need a heavy slide if the spring is weaker. Between the CCP and PPS there no contest, PPS is a much better weapon with a good trigger, easy take down, and it feeds anything with no hiccup. CCP has a safety, which is small and could be difficult to operate in a moment of necessity, out of the question for me. CCP is larger, and the trigger is long and indistinct. Try Federal micro ammo, about the same power as +p 38, tests well, and low flash, low recoil.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hey, y'all. Wondering if I could get a few opinions on a pistol for for a small handed female to conceal carry? She has a S&W .32 revolver now but says it's too heavy in her pocketbook :rolleyes:. Between the CCP or PPS, which pistol do you think would be a better choice for her to carry? She is a smaller woman with little hands and the bigger handled pistols leave her feeling like she doesn't have a good hold on it. Thank you in advance for any help.
You have already received some excellent advice on having her handle and perhaps shoot various model guns so I won't belabor that point. I do support it.

As to some specific models:
I often carry a PPS. They are sometimes still too big for the situation, but smaller than my preferred carry of a HK P7 or P30SK.
So in my pecking order
HK P7 (she certainly won't like this one so it really should not be on her list)
HK P2000SK or P30SK (same size)
Walther PPS
Good weight break point is here.
Ruger LC9S (Pro model is the same size, I just don't own one)
Ke-Tec .380 (Not recommended unless you have no other option. And, you could put the Ruger .380 here on the list)

Other models to consider in no order -
Walther P99C
Sig P365
Walther CCP
Glock 43

All of the above are good quality guns that are pretty compact. Some are heavier than others.

·
Registered
248 Posts
My wife has small hands and ended up with a EC9s instead of my CCP M1. I carry a LC9s Pro. Essentially the same as EC9s without safeties.

https://www.handgunhero.com/compare/ruger-lc9s-vs-walther-ccp-m2

Pic of LC9s Pro laid on top of a CCP M1 for size comparo

I have small hands too and have the Walther's PPQ M2 and also a Ruger LC9S Pro and carry the Ruger due to the lightweight and smaller frame. I carry it inside a 9.11 holster shirt size 2XL. Very comfortable and easy to get to. I do put the pistol inside an uncle mikes pocket holster and then inside the pocket of the 9.11 holster shirt. I wear a 3XL fishing shirt as a cover shirt. Open buttons and untucked. She could carry it any other way as she prefers. I just wanted to explain how I carry mine. But it can be carried a lot of different ways.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
@kampers
Cool. An un-tucked button-up XXL shirt works best for me as well.
This pistol will be carried in her purse. Hopefully we can get her settled on a good pistol that will satisfy the role for which it's intended while keeping her happy at the same time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I joined a Women’s shooting club and tried many of their pistols before buying. I loved the grip, feel and everything about the PPS but wanted something a little bigger and decided on the CCP. Let’s just say that that pistol is a nightmare!! It is difficult to get apart to clean with this tiny tool you get to unlock a bizarre locking mechanism. It was sent back to be rebuilt after shooting 200 rounds after constant misfires. When sent back they apparently forgot to insert a tiny pin and now when you use the tiny tool on the bizarre locking mechanism the locking mechanism flys apart into 2 pieces with a small spring as well as the normal spring flying across the room. Walther was no help saying that I just didn’t know how to put it back together and to watch a video online. Bottom line, do not buy a CCP or a Walther. Glock has come out with a 43x that I tried and it’s super easy to take apart and it feels good in a woman’s size. I thought Walther had a solid pistol and a solid reputation but am now so beyond disappointed. This pistol was bought January 2019 and has been shot about 9 times, a friend has to clean it because I, as a 65 year old women, cannot get the extra spring and the 2 piece locking mechanism back together myself. I’m not rich and can’t just do an “oh well” and buy a second pistol. As soon as financially able, this extremely disappointing pistol is gone!! Bottom line is that I would avoid Walther altogether

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
LOL, another one who's been burned by the CCP. Dunno why anyone would buy it, why it even exists, and why Walther would tarnish their own brand by selling the Umarex garbage under it.

I'd try to talk to Walther again, they need to make this right for you. And when they do, ditch the CCP. Real Walthers are pretty much perfect, Umarex ones are garbage, and it shouldn't be the consumer's job to figure out the difference.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Bottom line, do not buy a CCP or a Walther.
Bottom line is that I would avoid Walther altogether

Bottom line is, do your goddamned research before buying a gun..

You'd have seen a lot of hits that state exactly what you've found about the CCP.

OTOH, the PPS, P99 and P99c, and PPQ are all solid performers and are NOT made in the same building as the CCP.

Keep that **** in mind when saying Walther is junk. The CCP is built in glorified BB gun plant by a BB gun maker. The "real" Walthers (I mentioned but a few above, add P88, P5, P1 etc) are made in Ulm. It's like a Chevrolet to a Porsche. Both are cars, but one is a tad bit better.

Ok, a LOT better.

/rant.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Maybe a better comparison would be Chevy Aveo vs Corvette. One's made in Korea, the other one in Kentucky.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
@Hobie
I hate that you are having a negative experience with a Walther pistol and their customer service department. As a lifelong Walther man and owner of several of their products, I can say without any reservation that they do indeed make a fine, solid, world-class product. Have there been exceptions to that? I'm sure there have been and thankfully I have not been on the receiving end of such a disappointing ownership experience like you. Not being familiar with the CCP, I reached out to more knowledgeable enthusiasts here who are familiar with that particular model and who would give me an honest opinion of the pistol, all of its pros and cons, and whether or not it would be a wise choice to purchase for the intended use. From all of the great advice I have received here as well as reading about your experience, I certainly agree with you to stay away from the CCP. However, I do respectfully disagree with you on "not buying a Walther" and "avoid Walther altogether". Obviously, you are not happy with that particular pistol. Have you tried to trade it in on a different model even if it's not a Walther? I know my local gun store gladly accepts trades. Even if you lose a few dollars, it's better to have a pistol that you like and can count on rather than one that repeatedly gives you trouble or just isn't a good fit for you. Perhaps a re-visit the PPS or take a look at the PPQ line. The PPQ SC or PPQ M2 with the 4" barrel may be better suited for you. I know the take-down for cleaning on either of those is like less than 5 seconds. Also, as Kar98 wrote, reach back out to Walther and ask for their help if you are sure the pistol is truly defective. Good luck and I hope you find a pistol that you works for you.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
I joined a Women’s shooting club and tried many of their pistols before buying. I loved the grip, feel and everything about the PPS but wanted something a little bigger and decided on the CCP. Let’s just say that that pistol is a nightmare!! It is difficult to get apart to clean with this tiny tool you get to unlock a bizarre locking mechanism. It was sent back to be rebuilt after shooting 200 rounds after constant misfires. When sent back they apparently forgot to insert a tiny pin and now when you use the tiny tool on the bizarre locking mechanism the locking mechanism flys apart into 2 pieces with a small spring as well as the normal spring flying across the room. Walther was no help saying that I just didn’t know how to put it back together and to watch a video online. Bottom line, do not buy a CCP or a Walther. Glock has come out with a 43x that I tried and it’s super easy to take apart and it feels good in a woman’s size. I thought Walther had a solid pistol and a solid reputation but am now so beyond disappointed. This pistol was bought January 2019 and has been shot about 9 times, a friend has to clean it because I, as a 65 year old women, cannot get the extra spring and the 2 piece locking mechanism back together myself. I’m not rich and can’t just do an “oh well” and buy a second pistol. As soon as financially able, this extremely disappointing pistol is gone!! Bottom line is that I would avoid Walther altogether

Hi first poster, welcome to the forum.

Hope you enjoy your new Walther handgun.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Maybe a better comparison would be Chevy Aveo vs Corvette. One's made in Korea, the other one in Kentucky.
But they both have that nine letter word on the back.
atrocious. (which is also 9 letters, come to think of it...hmmmm.);):D:rolleyes:

·
Registered
201 Posts
I’m not being argumentative and am asking out of curiosity... you said you have numerous “misfires”. What do you mean? To me a misfire is when you pull the trigger the round doesn’t go off. Did you have that? That would indicate the striker pin not making good contact with the primer or bad ammo. Likely you had failure to eject the spent casing issues or failure to feed the next round issues.

I have a CCP M1 with about 3000 rounds through it. My ex wife wanted it. When it was new she was unable to get though a single magazine with out a failure to feed issue. I would pick up the pistol and have no issues at all. Now at the round count on the pistol she can go though a day at the range with out any issues.

I’ve said before I wouldn’t recommend the CCP to anybody based on others experiences but I personally haven’t had any issues.

The CCP is definitely sensitive to “limp wristing”. But it seems that as if breaks in it becomes more tolerant.

I mean no offense, but how experienced of a shooter are you? You stated you are a 65 year old woman. Do you have the hand wrist strength to keep a firm grip on this pistol, considering it is sensitive to the grip?

Have you had someone more experienced shoot it? Did they have the same issues?

I agree about the take down and reassembly. The take down is not so bad but the reassembly is a bit tedious.

All that being said, and despite the small recessed dots on the sights that are hard to see, it is a great shooting pistol. It’s Easy for me to be accurate with, quick to get on target and quick to get follow up shots on target. I shoot it better then my PPS M2 even though the PPS has more then double the number of rounds through it.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts