Walther Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a ccp m2 .380 for my wife. I watched a few videos on it and it was given good reviews. After I bought it iv read alot of bad reviews about FTF. And the trigger is really bad. Did I make a mistake in getting this firearm For her for when I'm not home. How dependable is the ccp m2 .380.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Can’t really speak with authority about the 380 version but as far as Walther goes, I have had a CCP M2 in 9 mm for about a year and a half and it is a quality piece of hardware. Have put over 200 rounds through it with no issues of FTF or FTE...only recommendation I would offer is "keep it clean"...the gas piston on mine will cake up with powder residue rather quickly....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
80 Posts
I read all the bad reviews about the CCP with a grain of salt.

I bought my CCP M1 9mm with a Comp-Tac Infidel Ultra Max IWB holster for $100 just over a year ago.
Original owner said it was unreliable with FTE's and FTF jams. You can't limp wrist this gun. The original owner said he wasn't but.....
Took it home, field stripped, and gave it a good cleaning. Been a reliable handgun for me with no issues.
Range use, I use 115 gr. FMJ Federal Champion brass ammo and Remington UMC 115 gr. JHP as carry ammo.

Reactions: Pokalolo

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought my .380 yesterday, and immediately put 60 round thru it just to make sure it worked with my hand loaded ammo. I load 90 gr Hornady XTP into once fired brass with CCI small pistol primers and I use 3.2 gr of HP-38. No failures. I took it home, disassembled it and other than the annoying rattle from where the piston is attached to the slide (I made another post on this in detail) I'm very happy with the engineering and assembly. Remember that you are buying a quality engineered firearm that is mass produced. They do not have individual craftsmen working on your handgun from start to finish, much of the manufacturing process is by machine, and that leaves room for flux in tolerances.

My rule of thumb to break in a handgun is 500 rounds. Until I can put 500 rounds successfully through that weapon, it's a range gun. Until I put 300 rounds through it the slide and lower are just beginning to get used to each other, as are the trigger components. When I bought mine I paid just over $400 for it, and I didn't expect it to be smooth as glass. Handguns costing 4 times that still have a break in period. I expect it to be a bit rough around the edges and if I really wanted it to be glass smooth I'd take it apart and polish all of the contact surfaces. Will I do that ? Probably not. I actually enjoy making the ammo and I enjoy shooting this handgun.

Remember, the more familiar your wife is with actually firing the weapon, the safer she will be at home when you can't be. If I were you I'd buy her 500 rounds in a bucket, put a bow on it and tell her she has 3 trips to the range to empty it, and then you'll cook dinner. By the time that bucket is empty, your wife will feel confident that she can handle the weapon, put rounds on target and your steel components will be broken in. If you have many FTF or FTE take it back to the place you bought it along with the details about what ammo you're putting through it, and ask your reseller what they think. If you bought it from a large retailer try calling Walther Arms customer service and be prepared to describe your experience in detail and see what they say. Unless you end up with some really nasty ammo, the odds are in your favor of having a good experience. You can also try to find an indoor range in your area that has staff on hand willing to help if you think your wife might benefit from independent instruction. I remember when I taught my wife how to drive and I swear I should have sent her to driving school and saved myself the headaches.

Keep us posted and when you serve dinner, have fresh flowers on the table. Remember, everything you read here is just someone's opinion. ;)

Resistance is essential !!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just got a ccp m2 .380 for my wife. I watched a few videos on it and it was given good reviews. After I bought it iv read alot of bad reviews about FTF. And the trigger is really bad. Did I make a mistake in getting this firearm For her for when I'm not home. How dependable is the ccp m2 .380.
Ok the wife just got done with here one on one class with her ccp m2 .380 I dont know what all these people are talking about but but her first time shooting not one ftf/fte not one problem. As soon as she got out of class she was ready to turn around and go right back in. I would definitely recommend the ccp m2 .380 for anyone with hand strength problems.

8 Posts
I purchased the CCP M2 .380 a few days ago. Already own a Ruger LCP .380, but wanted something bigger.

First use was backyard target shooting, just to get the feel of the new gun because I was scheduled to take a pistol shooting class and didn't want to look like I had never touched it before. Had no issues with the first 32 rounds fired, but was questioning my sighting ability as I had to make compensations for left sided groupings. Chalked it up to not knowing the gun AND being cross-dominate.

Attended an NRA pistol shooting training yesterday and took my brand new CCP M2 .380 and the Ruger with me. In class, I was able to use laser sighting equipment so the instructor knew I had good sighting skills.

After using the little Ruger, which has almost NO sights, the CCP is a welcomed relief. During the training, I was required to have 5 shots inside (4) 4" circles, repeated at various distances, and 16 shots inside a 6" circle at 45-ft. I accomplished this without too much difficulty, but I quickly learned that my rear sight is really off. I can visually tell that it's positioned too far to the left and needs adjustment! The instructor assured me that my sighting skills are very good and so is my ability to group the shots close together, sometimes placing 2-3 shots in the same hole (once I compensated for the rear sight being off).

I used Blazer brass 95 grain ammo, exclusively, and fired a total of 150 rounds. By the end of my live fire training, I had NO failures of any kind. The gun is pretty dirty, though. Being new, I am not sure if this is an ammo problem or a gun quirk... but, I don't remember the Ruger being this messy. My CCP is also the "Angel Blue" color, and I am now thinking that buying a colored gun may have been a mistake (if I can't get it clean).
image.jpg

·
Registered
22 Posts
I purchased the CCP M2 .380 a few days ago. Already own a Ruger LCP .380, but wanted something bigger.

First use was backyard target shooting, just to get the feel of the new gun because I was scheduled to take a pistol shooting class and didn't want to look like I had never touched it before. Had no issues with the first 32 rounds fired, but was questioning my sighting ability as I had to make compensations for left sided groupings. Chalked it up to not knowing the gun AND being cross-dominate.

Attended an NRA pistol shooting training yesterday and took my brand new CCP M2 .380 and the Ruger with me. In class, I was able to use laser sighting equipment so the instructor knew I had good sighting skills.

After using the little Ruger, which has almost NO sights, the CCP is a welcomed relief. During the training, I was required to have 5 shots inside (4) 4" circles, repeated at various distances, and 16 shots inside a 6" circle at 45-ft. I accomplished this without too much difficulty, but I quickly learned that my rear sight is really off. I can visually tell that it's positioned too far to the left and needs adjustment! The instructor assured me that my sighting skills are very good and so is my ability to group the shots close together, sometimes placing 2-3 shots in the same hole (once I compensated for the rear sight being off).

I used Blazer brass 95 grain ammo, exclusively, and fired a total of 150 rounds. By the end of my live fire training, I had NO failures of any kind. The gun is pretty dirty, though. Being new, I am not sure if this is an ammo problem or a gun quirk... but, I don't remember the Ruger being this messy. My CCP is also the "Angel Blue" color, and I am now thinking that buying a colored gun may have been a mistake (if I can't get it clean). View attachment 93907 View attachment 93907
My sights were spot on, just low, so I put the #2 front sight and now I'm pretty dead on. Though with this trigger, it wouldn't be surprising if people were jerking their triggers. Still, I love how it shoots.

·
Registered
172 Posts

I used Blazer brass 95 grain ammo, exclusively, and fired a total of 150 rounds. By the end of my live fire training, I had NO failures of any kind. The gun is pretty dirty, though. Being new, I am not sure if this is an ammo problem or a gun quirk... but, I don't remember the Ruger being this messy. My CCP is also the "Angel Blue" color, and I am now thinking that buying a colored gun may have been a mistake (if I can't get it clean). View attachment 93907 View attachment 93907
Love that tiff blue. A dirty girl...

·
Registered
80 Posts
My sights were spot on, just low, so I put the #2 front sight and now I'm pretty dead on. Though with this trigger, it wouldn't be surprising if people were jerking their triggers. Still, I love how it shoots.
The same with my CCP 9mm, just low. Changed the front sight and I was good to go.
I am also right hand/left eye cross dominate.

8 Posts
The trigger does seem to have a long pull and breaks/resets kind of weird. But, she'll get used to it. What matters is that she develops her skill and comfort with her gun.

I just bought one and took it to a pistol shooting class. It helped me to have a trained and experienced person there to check out how I am handling my weapon and get his opinion on possible issues with the gun.

I love the CCP M2 .380. It has a great feel, minimal recoil, and after 150 or so rounds, I had no failures.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Which of the two extra front sights did you go with? I suspect my gun shoots a little low, too, but I need to resolve my left/right issue first.
I think they are delivered with the middle height front sight installed. I went with the shortest height one. I was able to change it without removing the piston. YMMV.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts