Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems ridiculous to have to play guessing games but is the CCP, currently or soon, going to be available in .380?
A couple of online vendors are offering it (but “out of stock”) and it was reportedly shown at the recent SHOT show but I can only find one mention of it.
And, of course, the Walther website stands mute.

The reported issues (hopefully fixed?) with the CCP aside does anyone have good info on a .380 version coming soon?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you sir.
Surf this place on my phone and searching can be tricky but I’ll try again.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you. I just saved the first page (though it looks much better in your post) to remind me to check for it every once in a while. Guess I’m just a sucker.

·
Administrator
3,034 Posts
There is a forum member who will be attending the NRA show next week. He's promised to get whatever insights he can from the Walther reps who will be there.

I realize not everything the reps say come true but at least we should hear Walthers latest thinking and projections.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. Hope your right about solid info from the reps.
Guess I find the whole clogged information pipe from Walther confusing.
Wouldn’t think thing could be that complicated. They must have a PR guy/girl?
1) “We are.”
2) “We aren’t.”
3) “Still thinking about it. Should decide by....”
4) “We are with production slated for the end of...”

This would just be good for Walther too. Say I’m looking for a certain pistol type, and am a Walther fan, I would wait to make a purchase if I knew it was coming. With no information at all I am far more likely to take my business elsewhere if I need something.
Just my two cents.

·
Super Moderator
7,683 Posts
Duke', just happened to stumble onto this...if the .380 is the same size, and the 9 reputedly soft shooting, what is the interest in a .380 iteration. Not meaning to be snarky; just curious.
Moon

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No snark taken. It’s a fair question.
My interests are:
1) “New” Walther
2) .380 caliber.

I have shot the 9mm in assorted iterations (3 or 4 models of Sig, 2 models of Glock) all my professional life. Guess few would argue (though it is the Internet) that the 9mm is a “better”’round in almost all categories.

Really couldn’t tell you why I like the .380 so much.
Something new? Something different? Knowing it’s shot placement not caliber when it comes to pistols? The new, good performing, ammo available?
I don’t have a great answer for you sir. Just a quirk of mine in the end I reckon.

As an aside Gunbuyer.com now shows a CCP M2 in .380 now but, of course, out of stock.

·
Administrator
3,034 Posts
No snark taken. It’s a fair question.
My interests are:
1) “New” Walther
2) .380 caliber.

I have shot the 9mm in assorted iterations (3 or 4 models of Sig, 2 models of Glock) all my professional life. Guess few would argue (though it is the Internet) that the 9mm is a “better”’round in almost all categories.

Really couldn’t tell you why I like the .380 so much.
Something new? Something different? Knowing it’s shot placement not caliber when it comes to pistols? The new, good performing, ammo available?
I don’t have a great answer for you sir. Just a quirk of mine in the end I reckon.

As an aside Gunbuyer.com now shows a CCP M2 in .380 now but, of course, out of stock.
I’ll take a shot at it Moon.

While I agree with all of DukeIronHands points, for me at least, there is something more.

The CCP, despite being one of the best “feeling” smaller pistols out there, has earned a mediocre at best reputation (Its Easter after all so I’ll be kind).

The 380acp version represents a chance for Walther/Umarex another chance to get it right and improve the gun. The CCP m2 was an improvement over the m1. Perhap that trajectory will continue with the 380 version.

I do not know how big the market is for a larger 380 but it seems to exist. Walther still sells the long in the tooth and quirky PK380 and Smith has of course their EZ-Shield or whatever it’s called.

I go back to the CCPs best in class feel thing....if they can get gun to function reliably and not break down, they can finally retire the PK380 and take a bigger bite out of that EZ-Shield niche.

Just my two cents....

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And, in the FWIW category, had an LGS do some checking on the .380 CCP.
Knew it really wasn’t “out” yet but hoped for info.
According to their distributor they showed the gun as “New” and awaiting production/delivery.
Not sure if that means anything but...

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Did a “availability check” online and the CCP M2 in .380 is showing up (though “out of stock”) on more and more websites of online gun sellers so I guess it’s really coming?

Being relatively new to the Walther family do new weapons generally just suddenly show up at gun stores or is there some announcement from the, not so chatty, Walther company.
Guess the Q5 and PPK got some official press.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
I fully understand that many CCP owners are satisfied with the pistols performance and that virtually every person who has held the CCP immediately states it is one of the best ergonomic pistols ever. I will also state that I am a CCP owner.

Up until March of this year I had never fired a 380 in any firearm. I have seen posts in this forum both praising and condemning the 380 so there is a divide. In early March I attended a Walther day event at my LGS which I reported on in this forum and had the opportunity to fire (5 rounds) the PPK/S and the Q5 SF. I was impressed by the PPK/S 380 and shot it quite well....5 in the middle at 21'. I walked away wondering why so many feel negatively toward the round but like everything it's personal preference.

With that said and knowing the CCP "intimately" I can state that I would much prefer the PPK/S 380 over a CCP 380. I do not believe recoil would be much, if any, different and they both carry 7-8 rounds in a single stack and the PPK/S is much more concealable.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you for the perspective.
As a Walther (and .380) fan in general I had planned on getting one of each but now you have given me food for thought - kind of a desert for thoughts that have already occurred to me: Functionally, and in operation, are not the PPK/S and CCP M2 (in .380) basically identical?

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Functionally, and in operation, are not the PPK/S and CCP M2 (in .380) basically identical?
Functionally they are the same. Operationally they are closer to night and day. The PPK/S is a hammer fired pistol with a combination safety/decocker lever. The disassembly is again completely different. The PPK has an interesting slide release that's activated by pulling down on the trigger guard. Finally, the PPK/S operates very smoothly and has almost no side-to-side play in the slide.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well yes. I misspoke a bit but I get your point.
And finally someone who has shot both has cred with me.
Perhaps I’ll reconsider future purchasing plans.
Hell. Get a stainless and a black PPK/S! :)

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Don’t know if it means much (perhaps some of the Walther veterans can pipe up) but a CCP in .380 is not mentioned in the Walther 2019 catalogue.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.