Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that CCI makes shotshells for various pistol calibers like 9mm Luger, .357 Mag, 40 S&W, 44 Mag, and 45 ACP.

What are these shells intended for? From my logic, if you're going to go varmint hunting you're better off using a rifle with a .17 HMR, .22 LR/Mag, or even .223 Rem.

The shot inside one of these shotshells is truly tiny. Its a little larger than the ball on a large point ball point pen. Are they any good for self defense?

Would they damage the rifling on a handgun barrel? I'm curious if anybody has tried these through a P99 or similar weapon.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I am having trouble pasting the information from the actual page, and I cannot get a link to the exact page where the info is, so I'll just have to give you the address for the base page and tell you how to get there;

CCI Ammunition

From this page, click on Centerfire. Then in the upper left, click on Reference Chart. In the main area of this page, there is a Shotshell section; click on Start search. It will show the pictures of the various shotshells and their specs.

·
Registered
32 Posts
We always called this stuff "ratshot". Can't say I've ever used it other than just fooling around. Doubt you'd kill a squirrel with it, but rats? , birds? , snakes?, vls (very large spiders
)

I think we are talking:
small pests
inside or neighborhood environment
moving targets

Doubt that this could hurt a bbl, but I'd inspect to see if a cleaning is needed after use.

HTH

·
Registered
16 Posts
A guy I work with uses the shotshell in a 38 revolver. He goes up to the mountains and does prospecting and looks around with a metal detector in historic areas and such. He uses the shot shell for close incounters with rattlesnakes.

As far as it being used in a P99, I am curious as well, I go camping and hiking a lot and would love to use it for the same thing, close incounters with rattlesankes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I also just noticed the date on this, talk about bringing back an old post!

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
From what I remember the shotshells were designed for revolvers. I don't believe there is enough back pressure to cycle an automatic. Don't quote me but I am almost positive I read this somewhere. I have some for my SAA .45 Colt but have not tried it in an auto. Wouldn't be too much fun if you had to rack the slide after every shot unless you are practicing clearing a jam or something....:cool:

PS. I did some checking and I can't find anything that says they "won't" cycle an auto...but they are virtually useless unless you are shooting ballons....

·
Registered
130 Posts
In a small caliber weapon, the shot charge is very limiting. In an autoloader, you are stuck with a single shot weapon until you can cycle the action for the next shot.

Lead shot is much softer than steel and will do nothing more than leave lead deposits that can be a pain to clean. Copper bullet jackets are harder and would cause more wear.

I used to carry them in a S&W .44 Magnum while exploring on my ATC. The one time I had occasion to use it on a Western Diamondback, it worked well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts