Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought I new ppq 45 last month and had less than 200 rounds through it. All the rounds were factory reloads I bought online that I've used before. About 40 shots in last night after I reloaded a magazine first pull and bang. The gun exploded. Thankfully I am ok but the gun not so much.

Attachments

·
Registered
655 Posts
Obviously Ammo failure. Had many of these over the years in my line of work. It’s never fun but most times the damage is controlled. Did you have a squib in the barrel? Most times when a case let’s go, it just vents and doesn’t cause the chamber to be compromised. The 45acp is a low pressure round but it’s weakness has always been case strength. It doesn’ happen much in the 45acp. I have had many in 10mm, 9mm, and 38 super let go from compromises cases. I have seen crap brass used in case manufacturing that was rejected yet some other company will buy it and use it. Reloaded Ammo is o.k if the standards and components are held to a high standard. This is why when bargain Ammo shopping, you better know the standards used.

Reactions: Fritzdecatze

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As far as I know it wasn't a squib. To me it looks like the explosion was in the back of the chamber and the casing.

I e-mailed I the federal armament today. Hopefully they take care of it. I know walther won't because they were reloads.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
I'm over 5.5k rds thru my Q45. All SIG Elite FMJ & V Crown JHP, and Win Defender/PDX1 JHP/BJHP.

Ammo delivery a few weeks ago (1000rds 230gr 45acp, 1000rds 124gr 9mm, 700rds 300gr 50AE) TargetSportUSA FTW!.......

Attachments

Reactions: Fritzdecatze

·
Registered
655 Posts
As far as I know it wasn't a squib. To me it looks like the explosion was in the back of the chamber and the casing.

I e-mailed I the federal armament today. Hopefully they take care of it. I know walther won't because they were reloads.
Take macro pics of the case failure and document it well. Did the case rip open the entire length of the case or blow out from a buldged spot back at the rim? Since it was a Walther barel, it was a supported chamber so it’s not the guns fault even if it had a over pressure load.
Try to locate the unused rounds in the same box right before the compromised round. My guess is the loader malfunctioned and may have inconsistent powder charges in the rounds around the one that let go in your gun. Look at the primers of the rounds you shot before it let go and see if the primers are flattened out. I know and have worked with high end ammunition manufacturing. Every round and stage of manufacturing has its picture taken. We can single out one round in a lot of 500k. I have also seen other garbage churned out by other manufactures with standards so low, it’s sent to 3rd world countries.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I agree with mystro this is mostly the result of poor quality control at the reloading facility.

By the location of the barrel it looks like the round detonated in the chamber, notice the the serial number on the barrel is visible in the ejection port. Also the case basically retained it’s shape which would happen only if it was held inside the firing chamber. This only occurs when the slide is in the battery position. My first guess would be a barrel obstruction, because the force of the detonation was directed rearward. This is generally cause by an under charged bullet being lodged in the barrel. However, the resulting damage is usually a bulge in the barrel not blowing the firing chamber apart. My second guess would be an overcharged round which usually results in damage to the firing chamber. Both are the result of improper load and not a gun malfunction.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Of the rounds left I'd weigh them on a micro scale. See if they vary significantly in weight. Powder is the lightest component but the variability from round to round should not be that great. Look at the head stamps and see which maker it was that failed. I'd also check the barrel because a squib sounds pretty likely as a cause.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I agree with mystro this is an ammunition issue. If you look at your picture you will see that the slide was probably in the battery position, note the serial number on the barrel is clearly visible in the ejection port. This only occurs when the slide is forward and the barrel has rotated up. The case is relatively intact because the firing chamber kept most of the detonation contained until it finally ruptured. If the barrel was obstructed you generally see a bulge in the barrel at the obstruction. In your case the detonation occured in the firing chamber driving the slide back and blowing down and out. My guess is this was an overcharged round. These being reloads make even more sure this is the case. Reloading myself I know how easy this can happen and why I never buy reloads, there are just too many things that can go wrong. There are probably a few things that can be gleaned from inspecting the gun but, these are the most obvious observations.

·
Registered
284 Posts
It's very good to try and resolve the issue as simply as possible, but in the end, I guarantee ammo company will blame Walther and Walther will blame ammo company. In my opinion, if someone does not accept responsibility quickly, you'll have to engage the services of a failure engineering company, and possibly an attorney. The companies count on you not wishing to go through that hassle over $500...

·
Registered
156 Posts
I absolutely agree, so if you have to go the legal route make sure you go for all legal and court cost. Heck it wouldn’t hurt to tag on pain and suffering. The idea is in their best interest to settle for buying you a new gun. Remember there is really no way to prove they didn’t overcharge a round while you have proof of what happened.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Sold an old war horse of a SIG P6 to a gent who collected them. He took it to the range and was using reloaded ammo and about 5 or so rounds in, he hit one that was overloaded. Got shrapnel in his face and had to get checked out. On the bright side, he said that his GS checked the P6 out and was still in good shape. Tough old gun.

I’m glad you came out of it ok.

Reactions: Jimbo80

·
Registered
322 Posts
Glad you're ok, IIRC there was a similar thread on another forum a year or so ago, where gun OEM confirmed it was ammo, the reload ammo company apologized.

Why I won't run reloads, unless I or a friend loaded the rounds.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am no expert and its hard to tell from a single picture but it looks like the chamber split at its thinnest wall section. From over pressure and/or low strength steel chamber. Lab analysis would yield a better understanding.

Since the chamber supports the brass, as a tire supports an inner tube, its hard to understand why a weak case splitting would destroy a high strength chamber. If the case splits it should vent around the case and lower the chamber pressure, not the reverse. You may not like the gas flash out the ejection port and trigger area but I don't understand how that event fails the chamber. If it did guns would be blowing up all the time.

Call Walther and be reasonable and they may offer you something for exchange. My experience is they are very good people. Don't hire a lawyer. Then you are part of the problem, not the solution.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts