Walther Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been loading for my 9mm BHP and two Sig 228 with never a problem.  Done by the book.  Some months ago I ordered several thousand cast bullets from Laser Cast.  Top quality stuff!  However, none of the bullets, when seated to manual depth and even following the reference material from Laser Cast, chamber fully in my Walther.  The bullets include: 115 grain, 122 grain, and 125 grain round nose.  Also included is 125 grain truncated nose.  Not one of these bullets will drop into the chamber of the Walther.  
Prior to loading I wanted to make sure the bullets would seat properly in the barrel.  I pulled the barrel to make sure and that was when this became obvious.  Seems the bearing surface of the bullet ogive is too long.  Federal HP ammo fits fine.  Looks like I need to find another bullet profile that matches the chamber.  Any input?  Are Walther barrel chambered shorter than most?  Thanks

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have contacted the company and am expecting a reply.
I seated the 124 gr at 1.095 and it will still need to be seated at least another 32nd of an inch to chamber properly. If I recall correctly, they recommended seating the bullet out much further. But what I do not understand is it not working in just the p99.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I know it's not popular but there's probably nothing wrong with the bullets, it's the P99. The problem is with the Walther chamber. You are correct that the bullet's ogive is too long but it's only with the Walther's particularly short rifling leads. I've had problems with my Walther chambering factory ammunition from Speer, Fiocchi and Corbon. I have learned to always check first. The short rifling aids accuracy but can cause potentially fatal malfunctions for both the shooter and the gun. As long as you know what works your OK and the gun is uber-reliable. I wouldn't beat up Lasercast too much on this, it's not their fault. I don't see this problem with any other pistols. It's been documentd on some of the Walthers.

Tim

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you sigmundsauer for that information. Knowing that, I can at least redirect my efforts into finding a proper bullet match for my barrel. I shall also comment on this to Laser Cast and give them a heads-up. Those are at least three brands that will need to be function checked before I purchase. Thanks again.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Incidentally, the Speer GD and Fiocchi JHPs that I had a problem with were 1st generation stuff that has evolved over the reason. Current off the shelf products from both companies seem to work fine in my P99. I still always check.

Tim

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Again, thanks for assisting me with this. I have gone through about six or seven hundred round of Federal red box and have yet to experience any sort of failure. However, I still have that nagging problem with the pistol shooting too far to the left. I moved the rear sight so far to the right that it is a distraction. I had already sent it back last year and they said it was fine. Drives me crazy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts