Walther Forums banner

CA's approved list?

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  romeo_alpha01 
#1 · (Edited)
Are P5's on CA's approved list? I've looked up the list but it seem that mainly 22's are on there and I'm not sure how it works.

I live in WA and have a buddy in CA that recently inherited a P5. He knows nothing about firearms and has no need for it and if he sells it am wondering if it should stay in CA or even can stay there, or will it have to be 'exported'. I don't know CA laws and tried to research them but am still uncertain of how things work there.

Thanks for your help.

#3 ·
The P5 and P5c are not on the roster of approved handguns. Because he is a CA resident, he can sell to you but not get it back. It would be an FFL transfer to you if he chooses to sell to you.

I would keep it in CA, as a lot of rostered guns command a larger premium, typically twice the amount you would see outside of CA. Plus once the pistol leaves the state it’s really difficult to acquire in state again. He can only receive it back if he moved to WA, transferred directly from you, and moved back. These rules do not apply if he is a sworn LEO however, as they are “roster exempt”.

Tell him to post it on Calguns. Or have him PM me and I’ll walk him through the process.

#6 ·
Yeah it’s a pretty sad state of affairs. Another alternative to get off roster pistols into the state is through “intrafamiliar transfer”. This is a gifting option from direct family, namely parent to child and inverse. Also requires an FFL transfer along with other lengthy paperwork.

Of course, if you move here you could bring your off roster pistols with you, with a voluntary declaration of what you brought into the state. If it’s got a threaded barrel, you must remove it and install a standard barrel, otherwise it’s “an assault weapon”.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.