Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I’ve been carrying a 9mm PPQ (either a QFE or a Q Navy) for 2 years now and thought I’d share some observations about the platform now that I have enough hours with it to make some valid conclusions about the weapon platform.

I will state my Qs have been 100%. The Q First Edition has well over 14K and the Navy has over 6K using a variety of ammunition… I’ve pretty much settled upon Speer Lawman 147 as range ammo and Speer Gold Dot 147 as my carry round…although neither Q has met ammo it didn’t seem to like.

You all know how accurate the Q is and it certainly is an easy weapon to maintain as any combat type pistol should be. I’ve found that even with the rounds through the weapons I can’t really see any signs of undue wear on any parts…there is a bit of bleaching on the slide of my QFE, which may have come from so cross contamination with hoppe’s #9….past that both have withstood daily use very well.

I did put a DPM recoil system in the QFE because I found that my follow up shots were more accurate (I shoot one handed). I mounted a Jarvis unthreaded barrel on the FE for EDC, I mounted a set of steel factory night sights on my Navy Q. Other than that both are as they were from the factory. Incidentally when my FE graduated to HD with the Osprey suppressor and laser, I of course remounted the threaded barrel and factory recoil spring. For some reason I don’t need the DPM in my Navy Q.

Holstering the Q was when it first came out a bit of a trial as there were few options but being a fan of Theis IWB, I decided to see if he couldn’t supply one…and I feel his horse hide holster really fits my needs….when I must OWB, the DeSantis Speed Scabbard has suited me as well. For my shoulder rig I prefer the Miami Classic, great for meetings when I’m in a tie and Jacket.

The best belt I’ve found for carry has been a 511 tac belt…it looks nice is firm enough to support the weight of the weapon without pulling away from my body or flexing when I move. Even though this isn’t a really heavy weapon you still need a good belt to support it.

I carry 12-14 hours every day, likely even more as I carry at home too. While there are times I will carry my P99c AS or my Ranger PPK, these are the exceptions. I find I’d rather carry a Q whenever possible. The weapon is compact enough to conceal easily and light enough that it is comfortable through long carry hours.

The real strong point of the weapon is ergonomics…the design naturally puts the webbing between my thumb and forefinger high on the grip and allows the forefinger to naturally rest on the frame above the trigger guard. My middle, ring and little fingers curl firmly around the grip in a secure hold on the weapon.

The design of the weapon allows for a fast and extremely consistent draw stroke and as I push out toward the target it almost points itself. At SD combat distances this is a huge advantage. The fact that there is no external safety allows me additional speed on target (again remember all my weapon manipulation is one handed). The paddles and ambi slide releases make for fast mag dumps, jam clears and reloads…

I think it is clear that I find this system to meet all my requisites. The weapon was designed for carry and after two years of use and one incident of true need, I can state that the PPQ is a great platform for those who want a reliable and versatile carry option. I trust my life and the lives of my loved one to it on a daily basis. My final observation is that one could do far worse then give the PPQ serious consideration as a carry system.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts of the PPQ.

I pretty much agree with everything you've stated in your first post. The PPQ is reliable, accurate, durable, and it is the closest I've come so far to finding the "perfect" pistol, for me.

·
Premium Member
8,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Balance....in a way I hated sounding like a gun magazine but with the exception of the bleached spot I don't have bad things to say about the platform...
and it might give others more confidence in carrying this piece.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thanks for the guidance on ammo. I'm awaiting delivery of my PPQ, but as a PPK owner, I keep a wary eye on what type of ammo goes through. I'm glad to see that that doesn't seem to be an issue with the PPQ.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Great write up! It definitely gives me confidence to carry it over my P99c QA. I do need a better belt though

·
Read Only
5,165 Posts
I can answer that question.

He arm-wrestled Chuck Norris. He won. The Smithsonian asked to have his winning hand for a permanent display of the feat.

As to the "incident of need".....that was the last person that asked the questions you just did. You got a free pass. Live life to the fullest from here on..

I kid! :D

I feel the same way about the PPQ, despite owning some other handguns that are (arguably) a little more CC oriented, on no small part of olsoul's advice, as well as IAOF, I decided to give the PPQ another go at CC, and with a minor adjustment of my Theis, it became suddenly so much more comfortable that I just keep going back to it.

I can say that I don't really think I could pull off concealing anything bigger though, let alone in warm weather.
Besides, there's not much out there that I'm interested in with as good of a trigger, but I say that with some reserve....I've not had any "play time" with an HK USP .45....and that's something I really want to change sometime this year. Perhaps not to own, but to simply experience.

The PPQ will ALWAYS be my mainstay. It does everything with equal aplomb, reliability, and comfort, both in carrying, as well as shooting.

·
Premium Member
8,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
UH,
I sent you a PM to answer your questions as I feel this thread should be more about the weapon then the user....

I love Tbirds summation:
The PPQ will ALWAYS be my mainstay. It does everything with equal aplomb, reliability, and comfort, both in carrying, as well as shooting.

·
Registered
655 Posts
PPQ is my easiest carry of all my full size handguns. I love the Blackhawk Serpa or leather shoulder rig. Its so light weight.

·
Read Only
5,165 Posts
looking for a holster, so what was the issue and what was the adjustment?
The as-delivered cant of the holster caused it to be a bit uncomfortable. I tilted it forward on the next adjustment hole, and learned to wear an undershirt tucked in between my hide and the holster, and it has been great since then. Also, simply wearing the holster as much as possible will help to break it in. Now, when I get a new IWB holster, I wear it, and alternate with the holster empty, then with a pistol in it, back and forth.

·
Super Moderator
15,040 Posts
Yep, CANT is everything.....and it's the cant that allows me to carry my full size pistols at 2:00. I also carry em' deep with the rear sight just bearly peeking out over the top of my pants. Again, it's the CANT....and I run about 30°. And with the cant and depth, then the location/position becomes very important...an inch or so either way will make a difference. But find that sweep spot and you're good to go....all day comfort. Not to mention the neoprene back I use on all my holsters....really nice and soft.

View attachment 10956

View attachment 10957

·
Registered
913 Posts
I've been carrying the Classic PPQ daily for 6 months now from the time I get up until I go back to bed. I shoot primarily S&B 115gr 9mm for range and 124gr & 147gr GDs. Aside from these I have also shoot just about everything else under the sun I can find and my daily carry PPQ hasn't had a single failure in anything. It feeds, goes boom, extracts and feeds again 100% perfectly, every single time. I haven't looked in awhile at round count but its upwards of 9000 at this point over the last 2 years. The only change to the firearm is a set of Meps night sights.

My rounds will be changing soon. I've been saving most of my brass and have just completed my reloading setup. With 2500 plated bullets, 22lbs of various powders delivered last week and just over 30k CCI primers I'm looking forward to starting to test up different reloads over the upcoming months. Load testing will be done with one of my CZ 75 BD handguns first then to the Qs and others.

For any of the new folk with PPQs load em up with good quality name brand factory ammo, shoot several hundred rounds for a nice break in then start shooting anything you find factory and have fun. I've yet to find any factory rounds that didn't shoot. S&B or Lawman if you can find them, Federal, WWB, Champion usually available at local Walmart shops, etc are good for initial shootings.

I have to agree with everything Olsoul stated about the PPQ. It's easy to conceal carry, its dependable, point-shoots like a child shooting with their fingers, combat accurate, comfortable, durable, easy to clean and down right sexy IMO when compared to most other poly handguns. While I have a different holster setup I agree the right holster makes or breaks the comfort aspect and the belt is the single most important 'carry' factor! I use the Comp-Tac MTAC holster with their kydex reinforced belt and 12-16 hour days go by effortlessly with the PPQ IWB carry. That Miami Classic shoulder rig is on my list to own this year.

Personally I think Olsoul just likes to taunt us all with that sweet can on his FE ;)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Okay- question from a new PPQ guy- what does FE mean? Which model? I can't find it anywhere. . .

·
Premium Member
8,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Okay- question from a new PPQ guy- what does FE mean? Which model? I can't find it anywhere. . .
QFE or PPQ FE means First Edition.... the slides are marked First Edition and the weapon has a threaded barrel,15 and 17 round magazines, factory steel night sights and a nice carrying case.

Although we can't verify the exact count there were supposed to be 1000 First Editions made. The serial numbers were to range from PPQ0001 to PPQ1000, mine is PPQ0273.

I don't think we have verified numbers past PPQ0500.

Reactions: ruddogg

·
Registered
81 Posts
QFE or PPQ FE means First Edition.... the slides are marked First Edition and the weapon has a threaded barrel,15 and 17 round magazines, factory steel night sights and a nice carrying case.

Although we can't verify the exact count there were supposed to be 1000 First Editions made. The serial numbers were to range from PPQ0001 to PPQ1000, mine is PPQ0273.

I don't think we have verified numbers past PPQ0500.
Thank you! I had no idea. . .

·
Registered
181 Posts
Been carrying my Navy all day, every day since I got it :)

Wife's a little miffed at the holes in my jeans from the threaded barrel, but she patched them so it's all good.

Now, if Walther US would get some 4" non-threaded barrels in stock I'd be all set :)

·
Read Only
5,165 Posts
Been carrying my Navy all day, every day since I got it :)

Wife's a little miffed at the holes in my jeans from the threaded barrel, but she patched them so it's all good.

Now, if Walther US would get some 4" non-threaded barrels in stock I'd be all set :)
Buy yourself a second PPQ, a standard length one, and there you go. ;)

("What new gun, honey? This old thing? Why, it was almost free!" :D)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts