Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the general thought on the carry method for these trigger types?

Cocked and the AS trigger as the primary safety
or
Carried using the decoker and the heavier first trigger pull.

Brett

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
I used to carry my compact precocked, but have since kept it decocked w/ a round in the chamber for the past 10 months or so...

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Mine's decocked with one in the pipe. Same as a DA revolver.

Jake's just a slide rack away, and would leave him with a long SA trigger. Just personal preference.

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
Jake's just a slide rack away, and would leave him with a long SA trigger. Just personal preference.
If someone walks up to U in the Wal-Mart (or other parking lot) and either demands your keys or wallet or both, how are U gonna pull out your gun AND yank the slide back and then use the gun?!?!

Granted, there are scenarios where U may have time to pull the slide back, but there are many more where U do not. Years ago when I worked loss prevention, a lady got her purse and keys stolen at gun point in the mall parking lot as she was unlocking her car.

Also. say U are in a convenience store. U are by the drinks in the back and someone pulls a gun on the clerk and threatens to kill him. How are U gonna rack the slide w/o him hearing? What if U are at the checkout line and this happens. Time to pull out the gun AND rack the slide?! U can maybe fake going for your wallet while U actually get your gun. That's hard enough. Ain't no way to rack the slide too?

U can think of 1000 other scenarios.

Terrible way to carry. I've said it before. I did start carrying that way when I got a glock and my CCW way back in the mid 1990s. But after a few months, I grew more comfortable with the idea of toting a loaded gun, and I started carrying a round in the chamber. To make that a permanent way to carry is asking for trouble, however

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
For the most part, I agree with you Ship. That's why there's one in the pipe for me. It is a preference however. Better to be carrying comfortably one rack away than not carry at all.

As far as the scenarios go, you're right. There are thousands where it's better to have your handgun "ready to go." As far as someone holding me up for cash or keys though; they can have it. I'm not shooting anyone for $50 or $5000 for that matter. That's LEO work as far as I'm concerned.

Now if lives are at stake...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I used to carry my compact precocked, but have since kept it decocked w/ a round in the chamber for the past 10 months or so...
Ship why did you change? I'm new to the CCW world and am carrying the Walther with a round chambered and decocked currently but am toying with the idea of carrying it cocked and not decocked which would utilize the longer AS trigger stroke as the safety factor.

For My sig, I carry with one in the chamber and decocked since the SA mode has much less trigger takeup before engaging and firing. With the Walther and AS trigger though, the longer SA trigger travel would meet somewhere between the two guns and I would think would be perfectly safe but want to tap into the vast experience you that all have before I do something that I may regret.

The difference is nominal in regards to firing the first shot really but I do like to hear the reasoning behind one's decisions

Thanks,
Brett

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
As far as the scenarios go, you're right. There are thousands where it's better to have your handgun "ready to go." As far as someone holding me up for cash or keys though; they can have it. I'm not shooting anyone for $50 or $5000 for that matter. That's LEO work as far as I'm concerned.

Now if lives are at stake...
Hey, I agree w/ ya - if I am in a store or bank, and no one is in serious danger... the gun stays put.

But a gun pointed at ya in a parking lot w/ a criminal 2-3 feet away... That's life threatening to me. Too many robbers shoot ya even after ya give them the cash... You're only SLIGHT chance to get your weapon out is to fake the money/wallet thing. Maybe grab their gun and hold it away as you bring your up to fire. Their reaction on that will be slower than yours - but that's assuming a lot of things... Them being in the right position, and you not having any friends with ya that might be in the line of fire. So, that depends on the situation.

But a guy robbing U with a knife is enough of a threat that I'm not gonna go along w/ it and HOPE that it will work out unless I don't have a choice (like TWO armed robbers at 1 time - then U are stuck)

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
Ship why did you change? I'm new to the CCW world and am carrying the Walther with a round chambered and decocked currently but am toying with the idea of carrying it cocked and not decocked which would utilize the longer AS trigger stroke as the safety factor.

For My sig, I carry with one in the chamber and decocked since the SA mode has much less trigger takeup before engaging and firing. With the Walther and AS trigger though, the longer SA trigger travel would meet somewhere between the two guns and I would think would be perfectly safe but want to tap into the vast experience you that all have before I do something that I may regret.

The difference is nominal in regards to firing the first shot really but I do like to hear the reasoning behind one's decisions

Thanks,
Brett
Well, I've gone back to the 1st shot DA kinda for the same reason U decock the sig. True, I say to keep your handaway from the trigger unless ya wanna fire. But, in a hectic, "bad guy has the drop on ya" scenario, one may not always think clearly. I figured the heavier 1st shot might keep me from doing something accidentally.

Plus, while I prefer the SA pull for bulleye paper shooting at 7 yards and further. The truth is that I can hit the target decently with the DA pull if I have to. I won't shoot as well on paper at 7 yards as I will with the SA pull, but I still hit the paper.

Truthfully, the DA pull on the P99 is still a lot lighter than the DA pull on many external hammer guns. Its a lot lighter than the HK USP DA pull, and lighter than the Beretta 92FS pull as well. So, I don't mind it.

Plus, for whatever reason - out of my P99 fullsize, SW99 and P99c, my P99c has the best trigger of the 3.

·
Registered
333 Posts
In discussing handgun readiness?.I think it deserves repeating what Shipwreck has mentioned:

Society has change [ a lot ] and people will shoot you for practically NO reason whatsoever. The experts ?use? to preach ????when approached and threaten ? do whatever you are told? . But they are slowly coming off that advice, recognizing that ?doing what you are told? no longer means you will leave with your life. Just the opposite in a lot of recent cases.

Yes , you may hand over that money without any arguments ? but don?t be surprised if the next thing you hear is a gunshot and a burning pain somewhere on your body. It is sad, but it is the reality of today. As one example - I handled a homicide at a 7-11 store where the 18 year old cashier was shot in the face and killed. I asked other store patrons if the cashier resisted in any fashion?.and they said NO ! After the robber got the money handed over to him----- he just shot the cashier point blank in the face. Well, we caught the shooter??.and back at the lock-up [ after reading him his rights ] I asked him why he shot the cashier. He told me [ and I will never forget his words ] quote ? I didn?t like the way the guy was looking at me? !
Made absolutely no sense to me to be facing life without parole, over a simple robbery case??.but thieves don?t care anymore.

So keep in mind, if you are carrying (CCW) and you are approached by a ?bad guy? and he tries to search you?.if he even sees the gun???? things could go bad real fast for you. So in that respect ?carrying? can sometimes place the extra burden of maybe having to react with force.

Everyone needs to have a mental plan for ? When the bad things happen in life?. No one can tell you when or how hard to fight or even how to react ????my message is just this ?compliance? is no longer an even bet that you will be left unharmed.

JF.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I knew my question would spark comments. I agree. I think Decoked is safer. I knew a guy who accidentally knocked his safety off his pistol why moving it on a table and shot someone. It was a custom 1911 so the trigger apparently caught on something, and i can atest the trigger pull was shorter then any Walther and most 1911's I have touched.

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
Everyone needs to have a mental plan for “ When the bad things happen in life”. No one can tell you when or how hard to fight or even how to react …………my message is just this “compliance” is no longer an even bet that you will be left unharmed.

JF.
Yes, U must have in your mind what you would do in various scenarios U can think of. Think of possible situation where U may be around an armed criminal. Think about what U might do in each scenario. Your mental one will never match a real one exactly - but it gives ya something to fall back on to start w/.....

·
Registered
113 Posts
Chambered & decocked

Not carrying one in the pipe doesn't make any sense to me either.

I see no reason to:
Carry a gun without one chambered, even if the magazine is charged.
Carry an unloaded gun with a charged magazine in your pocket.
Leave your carry gun in your vehicle.
Leave your carry gun in your safe.

If you've made the decision to legally carry concealed, do it right. And further more, make the commitment to do it ALL the time, not just sometimes or most of the time. That's my .02 anyway.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts