Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok - so my new FE PPS arrived (beautiful pistol) and I am trying to decide on the carry condition. Let me preface this by saying that I have NOT range tested the gun and until I do I won't be carrying it at all. I mention that because I need to qualify the statements I am going to make about the pistol. My original intention had been to carry this gun in "Condition One" (round in the chamber) but since testing the pull on the trigger and getting a feel for the action I am a bit concerned about doing so.

The pistol relies on the trigger safety and the fact that it is DA only to ensure that there will not be an accidental discharge. With a heavy enough trigger pull that would be fine, but I was a bit surprised at just how light the pressure required to bring the weapon to the "cocked" position is. I am concerned about it enough that I have actually been carrying it as a 2nd gun for several days with the slide racked as if there was one in the chamber, just to see how easy it might be to accidentally "drop" the hammer. So far no issues.

Can anyone help allay my concerns about the safety of the weapon for concealed carry in Condition 1? I know the gun is supposed to be as safe a Glock for carry, but I seem to remember the Glock having a heavier pull.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I am also interested in the opinions of the pps carried cambered. Wouldn't be the most effective defense weapon if there wasnt thus defeats using it as a primary-immediate-threat-defense mechanism. But if easily tripped, it would be dangerous to carry with one ready to rock......

I'm personaly waiting for the all-black but if it turns out to not be in favor of being an effeciant pistol for conceal carry then I might just have to resort to the p99c.

Please update us from time to time about your test trial with the pps cocked but not chambered.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I'm quite a believer of the idea that a gun carried for self defense needs to be ready to use and that if you aren't comfortable using a gun as it was designed to be that you're better off finding one that you are rather than trying to work around it. Ymmv.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Perhaps you'd feel a lot better about carrying with a round in the chamber if you looked at a quality holster as part of the safety system. Not that such a thing seems to be available right now, but if you had a good, well fitted holster that covered the trigger guard you'd feel a lot better about that chambered round.

I am looking forward to holster manufacturers to get up to speed with the design and really feel this is the missing link as far as safety and concealed use of the PPS.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Perhaps you'd feel a lot better about carrying with a round in the chamber if you looked at a quality holster as part of the safety system.
I think this is the right answer. Of course the gun should be carried with a chambered round. The trigger should be protected by the holster. In addition, I always use a locking holster for my Glocks (Safariland 6377) because the thumb release effectively acts as an external safety, with the added advantage that you can't be confused about whether the "safety" is engaged. If the gun is out of the holster the "safety" is not engaged.

By the way, I would drop the "Condition 1" stuff. That terminology is really for 1911 pistols and isn't relevant to striker fired weapons like a Glock or Walther PPS. And the fact that you have to explain it (chambered round) sort of illustrates how useless the terminology is. :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Too bad holsters probably won't be available for the pps till alittle while, so even if you had the pps you'd would really be able to CC it....at least to its most potential.

And even when they ARE available many will probably fall into the case of backloged holster makers that they prefer......like milt sparks.....backlogged for half a year the last time I checked.(a month ago) that was one of the BIG reasons why I eneded up not purchasing a holster from them. Now I'm interested in the pps so ill prolly buy a nice holster for that to CC when I finaly locate a non-FE and an adequite holster.

·
Registered
335 Posts
FMOFO:

If you don't have complete confidence in that you can carry your personal defense pistol with a round in the chamber then I respectfully suggest you have the wrong pistol.

If the trigger/striker setup on the PPS scares you, get a traditional DA/SA (like the P99c/AS for example).

If you ever find yourself in a potentially lethal confrontation, which generally escalates very quickly, you certainly want a round IN the chamber suitable for immediate use.

In years past I had the same problem when I tried a Glock 26 for cc.. I just didn't feel "safe" with the Glock trigger, and I got rid of it and continued to use my Sig P239 for that duty, until my P99c/AS came home with me.

Traditional DA/SA sounds like what you might be comfortable with. I plan to buy a PPS (in black), but if I find I have the same concern you do with the trigger I will not use it for cc..

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

·
Banned
154 Posts
FMOFO:

If you don't have complete confidence in that you can carry your personal defense pistol with a round in the chamber then I respectfully suggest you have the wrong pistol.

If the trigger/striker setup on the PPS scares you, get a traditional DA/SA (like the P99c/AS for example).

If you ever find yourself in a potentially lethal confrontation, which generally escalates very quickly, you certainly want a round IN the chamber suitable for immediate use.

In years past I had the same problem when I tried a Glock 26 for cc.. I just didn't feel "safe" with the Glock trigger, and I got rid of it and continued to use my Sig P239 for that duty, until my P99c/AS came home with me.

Traditional DA/SA sounds like what you might be comfortable with. I plan to buy a PPS (in black), but if I find I have the same concern you do with the trigger I will not use it for cc..

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

+ Perhaps carry something non-lethal.

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
This entire debate brings to mind the beauty of a traditional safety, such as the one that adorns the PPK or the PPK/S. You can chamber a round, flick on the safety, and go about your daily tasks with nary a concern about what you are carrying inside your holster. When and if trouble ever rears its ugly head -- and we all hope and pray to the firestorm gods that it never does -- then a simple flick of the safety readies you for instant action.

If the more modern trigger systems tend to give you pause, there's nothing wrong with relying on a weapon for concealed carry that sports a tried-and-true external safety. These guns have been around for decades; there are plenty of good reasons why they are still being manufactured today, and from my perspective, the external safety is a perfect example. :)

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
I tend to follow Col Coppers views on DA/SA and relience on safety devices. (Not saying youre wrong, just my opinion).
Not a problem -- that's what makes a horse race. Nor am I espousing a particular point of view here. My point is that if a person is not comfortable with the various modern trigger configurations that are available, there are alternatives ... and the external safety is among them.

Salute

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had the opportunity to spend some time at the range with the pistol on Friday and I am not yet ready to pass judgement on what I think of it. Right now I can't say that I am 100% thrilled, but I can say that I am not worried about an accidental discharge as a result of trigger play. Unfortunately I can also say that the action really projects the point at which the gun is going to discharge. There is nothing smooth or pleasant about the trigger pull. Hopefully I will get used to it soon.

Thanks for all the feedback - and I tend to agree with Searcher, the DA / SA pistols with a manual safety still have a place in this world and will for some time to come. IMHO, YMMV

·
Registered
169 Posts
the trigger pull on my GLOCKS is 5.5lbs.thats standard.
1-dont buy a 500.00 pistol and put it in a $20.00 holster.if your concerned about the trigger safety buy a good kydex holster.make sure when you draw and reholster there is nothing obstructing the path of the firearm to and from the holster.i.e.shirt,retention strap,a cheap flabby holster that doesnt retain its shape,your finger,a mag or something that will get inside of the trgger guard.after a little practice it will all be second nature.
DRYFIRE,DRYFIRE,DRYFIRE.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
the trigger pull on my GLOCKS is 5.5lbs.thats standard.
1-dont buy a 500.00 pistol and put it in a $20.00 holster.if your concerned about the trigger safety buy a good kydex holster.make sure when you draw and reholster there is nothing obstructing the path of the firearm to and from the holster.i.e.shirt,retention strap,a cheap flabby holster that doesnt retain its shape,your finger,a mag or something that will get inside of the trgger guard.after a little practice it will all be second nature.
DRYFIRE,DRYFIRE,DRYFIRE.
Powerful wisdom right there.

An astonishing number of ADs occur on re-holstering a pistol against interference of one sort or another. That is when any thrust applied to the trigger is in the same direction as would normally cause the pistol to fire. Poor holsters are a leading cause of unwanted bullet holes.

M

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
For decades the semi-auto pistol was shunned by Police and CCW wearers in part because it was felt the safety flip switch arrangement could slow down the ability of the user to employ the pistol under stress - a fumble trying to flip a safety up or down could result in a loss of time - and a win by the "bad" guy!!

Of course there were other issues, bullet shape and reliability being the most commonly cited. Nowdays semi-autos seem to have won the hearts and minds of most shooters. Reliability and bullet shape are no longer an issue, and the manual safety switch on firearms like the Glock and the PPS is a thing of the past!!! The King of Handguns is the old 1911 Colt (Clone) - and I don't dispute that.

Still a five pound pull on a pre-cocked semi auto is a pretty scary set up for alot of folks, myself amoung them. Thank goodness for the P99 with the DA/SA trigger which partially solves the problem. Thank goodness for photohause and PX15 for posting the ultimate solution for us folks who are still "uncomfortable" with the plastic formula.

I really like the semi-auto pistol, but grew up with the DA revolver - truth be told IMHO it doesn't get any better than a well tuned S&W or Colt in good hands for self defense.

Walther's are amoung the finest handguns ever made. But when the SHTF you would most likely find a six-shooter in my paw.

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
For decades the semi-auto pistol was shunned by Police and CCW wearers in part because it was felt the safety flip switch arrangement could slow down the ability of the user to employ the pistol under stress - a fumble trying to flip a safety up or down could result in a loss of time - and a win by the "bad" guy!!

And in Germany it still is this way
The PPS was developed for the american market. At this time the PPS won't pass the technical guidelines for police issued guns.
No external safty can be present and the gun needs to be fully decocked when holstered, in order to pass the test.
Right now it is the P99 (AS/DAO), P2000 (V3) and the P30.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts