Walther Forums banner

Carry Ammo

Carry Ammo

51K views 201 replies 116 participants last post by  waltherall 
#1 · (Edited)
Numerous threads about what your self defense carry ammo is. Decided a poll would show better than counting each post to see a consensus.

#4 ·
I use Federal HST 124gr and 147gr standard pressure rounds as my carry ammo. Powerful, reliable, and accurate without the extra muzzle blast, recoil, and wear and tear of +P.

#11 ·
there are at least 4 perfectly cromulent choices on that poll, but 124grain +P Gold Dots are the one I stock the most of, for whatever that's worth.
Of course, that's because I've had good luck finding them in 50x boxes at $0.50/round, sometimes less ... the differences between high-end defensive ammo are negligible because they're all formulated to pass the same FBI test.

#12 ·
#18 ·
I carry a wide variety. Anything by a quality manufactuer is good stuff. Most recently I've been using Hornady as carry ammo. Speer Gold Dot, Winchester PDX, even the Federal Hydr-Shock is ALL good stuff. You can't go wrong with any of those. Hell, even the Remington green/yellow box HP brick from Wally world is good stuff to be honest.

#21 ·
Federal 135gr hydra-shock low recoil.

The gun ain't designed for +P, and I don't see any distinct advantage to it. JMHO

#22 ·
Winchester Ranger-T 147 gr (RA9T).

Been using it in my personal guns since 2005. My Agency is transitioning to it this year. Hosted two ballistics workshops in November. Test guns were 4" M&P's. But included a 3.5" M&P9c and a 3" Kahr PM9 for bare gel shots to see the effect of a shorter barrel. Differences were slim to none.

My PPS shoots accurately and to the point of aim with this load. For me, it's a win/win.

#29 ·
I'm with you brudda. Says that for a reason, and there's no real benefit at the end of the day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.