Walther Forums banner

Carry Ammo

• Total voters
41 - 60 of 202 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Has anyone tried shooting any of this ammo from thier PPS into ballistics gel? I have seen recipes for it online before and it is on my list of things to do but I have not gotten around to it yet. I would like to see the penetration and how some of these rounds opened in the gel when fired from the PPS.

·
Registered
446 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Normally I run the heaviest round I can find in most all calibers I carry, but I'm starting to buy into the lighter is better outa the short barrel theory. Just picked up a PPS this week and ran 300 rounds through it without any problems at all. Great carry gun IMO. Ran a box of the 115gr Critical Defense stuff in it and this thing just soaked up the recoil. Needless to say I'm quite impressed both with the PPS and the Hornady CD 115gr standard pressure round.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I like the Hornady CD round also because it is supposed to open at differant velocities because of its rubber plug which I guess is one of the reasons Hornady markets it for short barrel ccw weapons like the PPS.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I'm starting to buy into the lighter is better outa the short barrel theory
May I ask what this theory is based on? Because I've come to the opposite conclusion... Based on testing I've seen (like mentioned above). It seems to me you can get the smaller, hottest load possible (which has its own obvious drawbacks) or you can go with bigger/slower which seems to be affected much less by the loss of barrel to begin with.

A smaller +p load is going to exit the barrel faster and leave a lot more powder burning outside the barrel... Which would mean increased recoil and flash (much of which is doing no good) trying to chase that extra velocity.

... I guess I may have just answered my own question... And given the reasoning of why I've dismissed it. Just curious if I'm missing something that others might shed some light on.

·
Registered
12 Posts
May I ask what this theory is based on? Because I've come to the opposite conclusion... Based on testing I've seen (like mentioned above). It seems to me you can get the smaller, hottest load possible (which has its own obvious drawbacks) or you can go with bigger/slower which seems to be affected much less by the loss of barrel to begin with.

A smaller +p load is going to exit the barrel faster and leave a lot more powder burning outside the barrel... Which would mean increased recoil and flash (much of which is doing no good) trying to chase that extra velocity.

... I guess I may have just answered my own question... And given the reasoning of why I've dismissed it. Just curious if I'm missing something that others might shed some light on.

In one word, "velocity". Heavier slower rounds tend suffer less expansion due to the slower velocity outa the short barrel. +p is not an option for me. I'll take a standard pressure 9mm in less weight over a heavier +p any day. That 10% extra ump is highly overrated IMO. Also MO, the standard pressure 9mm is plenty strong enough to do the deed, if you can put it where it'll do the most good. If you can't do that, well you know the rest. ;)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Also it can depend on the specific type of round. The Hornady CD rounds were made with short barrel ccw guns in mind. They are supposed to produce less flash with less recoil and expand at varying velocities.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Also it can depend on the specific type of round. The Hornady CD rounds were made with short barrel ccw guns in mind. They are supposed to produce less flash with less recoil and expand at varying velocities.
This proved to be troublesome for me. I'm quite good at shooting and I don't limp wrist at all. However, these rounds failed to feed 5 out of 20 rounds. I can't confidently carry these in my PPS.

·
Registered
446 Posts
In one word, "velocity". Heavier slower rounds tend suffer less expansion due to the slower velocity outa the short barrel. +p is not an option for me. I'll take a standard pressure 9mm in less weight over a heavier +p any day. That 10% extra ump is highly overrated IMO. Also MO, the standard pressure 9mm is plenty strong enough to do the deed, if you can put it where it'll do the most good. If you can't do that, well you know the rest. ;)
Again, that doesn't jive with the testing I've seen (done to FBI criteria). Some of the most robust expanding JHPs on the market are 147gr rounds. Said rounds also tend to show minimal velocity loss in barrels down to 3".

·
Registered
12 Posts
Again, that doesn't jive with the testing I've seen (done to FBI criteria). Some of the most robust expanding JHPs on the market are 147gr rounds. Said rounds also tend to show minimal velocity loss in barrels down to 3".
Are you telling me that a heavier slower bullet will expand better than faster lighter bullet out of a short barrel say, 2.75" or snubby 1.78".... I seriously doubt it, but with the advances in propellants, I could be wrong. Keep in mind that there are all kinds of variables involved and some of which I imagine would be hard to replicate outside of a lab/controlled environment. As for deeper penetration, the heavier round on average will penetrate 1-2 inches more, but that too is dependent on bullet design and propellants.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I haven't looked anything sub 3". As the PPS is the smallest gun I own (or have even considered). 3"- 3.25" seems to be plenty of barrel for a quality 147gr to perform as designed.

·
Registered
146 Posts
This proved to be troublesome for me. I'm quite good at shooting and I don't limp wrist at all. However, these rounds failed to feed 5 out of 20 rounds. I can't confidently carry these in my PPS.
Is your PPS broken in? Since Hornady CD is a low recoil round it may not generate the force to fully cycle the slide if the slide is stiff. I tried Hornady CD after I had several hundered rounds in my PPS and they worked fine. However someone else I know had the same issues you had but it was within his first 500 rounds. After he fired a few hundred more rounds through his gun they worked fine. I guess the real lesson is always test your self defense rounds because you don't want to find out there are issues with them in a life or death situation.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Is your PPS broken in? Since Hornady CD is a low recoil round it may not generate the force to fully cycle the slide if the slide is stiff. I tried Hornady CD after I had several hundered rounds in my PPS and they worked fine. However someone else I know had the same issues you had but it was within his first 500 rounds. After he fired a few hundred more rounds through his gun they worked fine. I guess the real lesson is always test your self defense rounds because you don't want to find out there are issues with them in a life or death situation.
Have about 1000 rounds through my PPS. I've changed to Federal Hi-Shok 147gr and love them. I'm actually more accurate from a distance of 25yds with the 147 than the 115

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
The engineers from ATK I spoke with at this years SHOT Show said that their 147+P HST is their #1 9mm round. It was followed by the 124+P Gold Dot. `124+P HST was next then the 147 Gold Dot was either 4th or 5th. Can't recall right now.

41 - 60 of 202 Posts