Walther Forums banner

41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
I think I was in Arizona, maybe Texas but I saw a plain clothed officer and on his hip was a Walther PPX. So I asked him, is that what his department issued. He said no but he was allowed to pick whatever gun he wanted and said his budget was limited but he tested several guns and the PPX won out due to affordability, ergo's, accuracy, he loved the trigger and round capacity. He said he carried HST 147gr as his choice ammo. I thought it interesting as that was the one and only PPX I've ever seen carried by law enforcement. His was a small department as well.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
I was honestly surprised when I saw/read that the first .45 Walther was the PPQ...I'd honestly thought and even hoped and then gave up hope it would be in the PPX instead of a new...possibly hit-or-miss design like the CCP, or at worst, an upscaled PPQ that was, by and large, an Arnsberg gun that resembled a PPQ but was basically a clunky hunk.

I know it's probably a very tiresome phrase from me at this point...BUT the only thing the PPQ 45 is lacking to 100% please ME is the paddles.

I've examined photos closely of people holding both the 9/40 version, as well as the .45.....the wee bit extra grip length will be just right for my hand. I recently swapped to the large backstrap on my 9mm, and it fits even better.

As with the PPX, Walther has nearly cornered the market on comfortable, accurate and easy to shoot handguns...PPQ, PPX, P99....
I'm ruined on about anything else, save for the HK VP guns...the VP9 is right there with the PPQ and PPQ in terms of comfort, though I've not shot one...yet.

If you have a "must have" poly gun list, those 4 definitely should be on it.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Over 2000 rounds between my PPX 9 and 40. No problems with any of the magazines. Doubt Walther would not work on a PPX if it's discontinued.
thanks, I couldn't resists a good Walther at this price point. had to grab one. $294.63 to my local FFL from CDNN and since I already have a shield on the way from budsgunshop it will only cost $20 in FFL fees for the pair of guns (he does $15 for the 1st and $5 each gun past the 1st)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Bought my first handgun in December last year. I read alot and chose the PPX. It fit my budget and fit my hand like a glove. I didn't have anything to compare it to, so I could not judge it.
I would recommend it to any noob.
Certainly not conceal carry, but otherwise an awesome "entry" level piece. Aced my CWP class in August. Now I'm shopping for my IWB choice.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Sad to see the PPX go! As much as I'd like to attribute its demise to a lack of paddles, I think it's more a matter of timing.

My 2 cents on the PPX demise:
When the PPX was introduced it was in the heat of the gun rush. Walther was smart to add a low margin gun to try to push volume in the rush. But now that it's a buyers market, a low margin item doesn't make much sense since you can get flag ship models of various makes for solid deals presently.
Around here you can find P99s and PPQs for $500. The most expensive new Walthers I've seen are P99Cs.

I like the X, but it doesn't do anything better than any other gun I own. If I find one local for a good deal I may jump just for fun... Still say a paddle would make it better...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Truly sad news

The worst part being is one of if not THE best full size budget gun. Dont know if i want to get one now but it is too good of a gun for the price not to get one.

i think they are making a mistake stopping production .They need more marketing . BUy a Q get an X for $100 ... :)

·
Registered
215 Posts
If you go back to the days of the PPX's introduction, you'll see all the reviews - and the posts on this forum - talking about how the PPX was being offered for a street price in the $430 range.

I handled one back then and did not like the hump in the grip. My overall perception was that $430ish for a PPX really just made the PPQ and P99's - and some other poly pistols - look that much more desirable.

IMO, If Walther wanted to position the PPX as an attractive entry level option for those desiring Walther quality and trigger superiority, they should have priced it accordingly at introduction.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Have to agree VP70Z.

For $100 more you could have a P99 AS/P99cAS back then.

Also, the look of the thing really hurt it. I cannot believe that the slide couldn't have been made a lot more svelte. That really hurt the sales.

I know that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but honestly, the PPX was probably not even loved by it's own mother.

·
Registered
10 Posts
So I heard Cabelas was selling the mags for sub $10 today but by the time I got there all the 9mm were gone, still had some .40 in stock. I called them and they said the mags were discontinued and they were liquidating their inventory, no new ones coming in. Hopefully this doesn't mean Walther will stop selling mags for this gun or supporting existing customers in the future?

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I got the last PPX Mag at the Cabelas in Ft Worth this morning. I asked if any were in the back. They looked and said I had the last one in the store.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Bought my first handgun in December last year. I read alot and chose the PPX. ...
I am also new to firearms and the PPX was my first gun. It came with an extra magazine, a double mag holder, and an OWB holster. With that holster I could not conceal carry under a polo shirt. I bought an AlienGear IWB for it and now It conceals under a polo shirt. This is my motorcycle riding concealed carry choice. I am bigger than average.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I'm tempted to pick up the Two tone just to have alongside my regular black one. the price is just too cheap to pass up. and besides. you can't have too many guns, right?

my only concern would be with the firing pin issue some seem to be having. my walther ends with 1583, so hoping it's not one of some low batch that had issues.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Gallery of Guns has a special on the PPX M1 9mm again. At least in the Tucson area you can get it for $270, might check the pricing against your zip to see what low sale price is for your area.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Thanks for the tip Speed Racer. I looked it up and I would be paying about the same price using my normal pawn shop that does my transfers if I go this route. Hopefully they will have this sale for a bit when I'm ready to add on another PPX in the coming weeks.

41 - 60 of 76 Posts