Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some time ago I E-Mailed Carl Walther's German office to inquire about the future of the PPX. I received a response today from an Emre Korkmaz. The text is as follows:

Paul,

sorry for my late reply, the PPX is discountinued. Sales have not been like we´ve expected.

Best regards

Emre

So, pretty much as expected, unfortunately.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Any time you see a pistol for sale on the CDNN Sports website at discounted prices, it's a good sign that the manufacturer is closing it out. CDNN closed out the SP22 line as well for Walther.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Time to look for one in .40 S&W. Guess I should check out CDNN...

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Well, as we all know the PPS is getting it's prices slashed.

Walther gonna drop it too?

I'll be damned if I could understand why, if they were to discontinue the PPS.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Well, as we all know the PPS is getting it's prices slashed.

Walther gonna drop it too?

I'll be damned if I could understand why, if they were to discontinue the PPS.
Who knows? Maybe it's time to get an extra one if you don't already have two.

It looks like a stainless PPX is now on my radar. :)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Maybe we should take the answer at face value: the PPX didn't sell enough.

I am no industry expert, but, for what it's worth, I fail to see the market niche the PPX was supposed to fill. Ppl are borderline compulsively obsessed with their guns' reliability and most buyers on the legal market don't want low priced guns with no track record of (assumed) reliability. Especially American buyers want to get what they pay for, no matter how invalid this once sound principle is nowadays, in parts at least.

What I also find hard to see is the concept behind selling a gun relatively cheap to calculator-rational-type of customers and then charging high prices for additional mags.

Gun manufacturers are only there to make good guns inasmuch it helps them make money. That the market didn't accept the PPX is no reflection on its quality, engineering concept or soundness of philosophy of use. I still like it as a defensive weapon.

I hope Walther does the right thing and continues to support the gun with spare parts etc. for a decent stretch of time. This will highly influence future purchase decisions of mine.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
As far as cheap handguns, the sub-$400 Turkish guns are starting to make some inroads in the market. By many accounts, some of them really shine in the quality, reliability, and accuracy departments.

BTW, I believe the market niche the PPX was intended for was the low-priced, entry-level 9mm market. Evidently, that didn't work out as planned.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
BTW, I believe the market niche the PPX was intended for was the low-priced, entry-level 9mm market. Evidently, that didn't work out as planned.
If this is truly the reason why the PPX is getting the axe, then it makes me recall the Cadillac Cimarron.

You know, the luxury car that was nothing more than a gussied up econobox?

NOT saying the PPX is a cheap POS in a fancy suit, indeed, I've handled 4 or 5 of them and regretted not bring each of them home with me.

I will probably be getting one before long..

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, the PPX is definitely low priced but, examining mine, I can't see anything "low quality" about it.

Why didn't more people buy them? Probably various reasons. A friend of mine passed on the PPX because it was "just too damn bulky". While in a gun store, I heard one person remark about the PPX "that's one ugly gun".

·
Registered
254 Posts
Yea, with the Walther brand on it which isn't for cheap gun. Kinda like an economy model luxury car, jsut doesn't tango.

As others said, the aesthetics sure didn't help either. I don't care about the looks of a gun, but a lot of ppl do.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I happened to be in the right place at the right time when I bought my first PPX. I knew nothing but the Walther name and of course the PPK and P99 from James Bond. Two PPXs were sitting in a booth at a gun show surrounded by tons of Gloocks, S&Ws, Taurus and etc. The Walther name and the price ($449) is what attracted me to it but I still had to do some research since I knew nothing about the PPX. Heck, I had not even heard of the PPQ. I left the show and researched online. I believe I found this forum that day and saw the positive responses regarding the PPX. The next day I returned to the show and the PPXs were still there. The guy let me have one for $400 and the rest is history.

Having said all that, I believe marketing and support is what works against the Walther brand where I am from. Once I got my first PPX, it was several months later before I ever saw a PPQ. Even now, unless I go to a large gun store and not always then, I see very few Walthers. When I do it's normally P22s, PK380s, PPSs and sometimes PPXs. Very rarely have I come a across the flagship PPQ or P99.

I am glad I found my way to Walther! :)

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
It is (or was) an entry level pistol that just happened to have a great trigger and really nice grip. Maybe it's not as handsome as a PPQ, but ask the target if the looks of the gun matter.

;)

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
The PPQ is not that attractive from my vantage point. The PPQ and PPX look like they were both derived from the profile of the star creature from the movie Alien. The Q is just a bit more refined but an alien still it is. They're both great guns though and I won't be dating either of them. :D

·
Registered
462 Posts
That's too bad as IMO it's a great entry level gun (that really looked and performed more like mid level gun), good ergo's and a great stock trigger. Just from my observation, nothing scientific, the general feeling I saw about the gun was the looks. There is a particular Youtube firearm tester, one of the more popular ones and one of my favorite. I contacted him about testing the PPX when it came out, offered mine. His response was courteous but thanks but no thanks, too ugly of a gun, no interest.

I just think the size and looks of it was its downfall...along with lack of advertisement. Doesn't help that the PPQ is out there as well but I will say the PPX trigger is close to being as good or better than the PPQ, IMO only. The reason I recently purchased an HK P30SK V1 Light LEM was only becuase it was a compact gun that had a trigger similar to the PPX. I will buy another one, Cerakote bronze, make it look a bit different. At $280 bucks, why not.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
I think most of the people who *****ed about the looks of the PPX never put one in their hands. I too thought it was so ugly and bulky that there was no way it could feel good....till I held one. I'm STILL kicking my own ass for not buying one (or more) of the 6 I've held, handled, dry fired, and actually put rounds through. At the time, getting all the parts and machine work done on my engine/heads was the priority....well, the engine still isn't in the car and I've lost motivation with the thing...

Who wants a project Mustang...300 horse 5.0, 5 speed fun car...? :D

It's even a coupe! ;)

Next time I'm in my favorite LGS, and they happen to have a PPX, I'll likely be putting it on layaway.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts