Walther Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to buy a Walther PP "Carl Walther Waffenfabrik Ulm/Do." I have the serial number. How can I find out the date of manufacture?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is 2 pistols I'm interested in. Here are the pics, maybe someone can give me more info about them.

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Nice pictures. That PPK with the heal mag release is somewhat rare. If you could get the complete serial number I might be able to help out with a date. It is probably in the 1940ish range. The PP, as I said earlier, there should be a two digit number in the ejection port next to an antler symbol, if not there may be a two letter date code such as "KC" or some other letters signifying the date of manufacture. The serial number you gave indicates somewhere between 1954 to 1975, parts made at Manhurin and assembled and proofed at Walther in ULM.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
I bet that PPK is real pricey. Look to be in good shape. ;)
Up in that price range, one needs to do one's homework before plunking down hard-earned cash.

In this particular case, the grips are incorrect replacements. Deduct at least $200.

M

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Up in that price range, one needs to do one's homework before plunking down hard-earned cash.

In this particular case, the grips are incorrect replacements. Deduct at least $200.

M
According to pictures I have, those grips are correct, they should have the cut out for the thumb mag release if that's what you are referring to. Or is it something else, please educate me.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
According to pictures I have, those grips are correct, they should have the cut out for the thumb mag release if that's what you are referring to. Or is it something else, please educate me.
Yes, that is what I was referring to. One that I have examined which I concluded was original did not have a cutout in the left grip for a non-existent side button release.

It is possible that cutout grips were fitted at the factory to some pistols with bottom mag catches, but I would want to carefully examine a few more actual guns, and do some serious research, before I spent a LOT of money on that assumption.

M

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
That's is a good idea. I am only going off of "Know Your Walther PP & PPK" book by Hoffschmidt that shows a heel release ppk with the cut out mag release grip. But it is not possible from that picture alone to know for sure.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
I have enormous respect for the late Ed Hoffschmidt, but his book was a very early treatise written before a great deal of additional research was devoted to this subject by others, and his book is not without some obvious errors.

I have not taken much interest in the subject of bottom release magazine catches, but one point is immediately apparent: PPK grips made for a side release will not fit a PPK with a bottom catch without alteration, as the frame of the latter is larger at the heel. If additional routing has been performed at the factory to enlarge the inletting inside the grip, I would expect it to have been neatly accomplished on a milling machine in the usual Walther style, as done on c.1941 P.38s with the experimental sear. Unfortunately this can be verified only by a visual examination after removing the grip. I would not expect to see it chiseled out by hand or ground out with a Dremel, in which case the grip would most likely be a post-production replacement.

M

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
I am going to take a stab at this... bare with me it's early
I think that the grips are not correct. But this is just a observation by what I have seen on PP's with the heel release.
PP's with heel release have specially made grips without the indent for the mag release on the top of the frame... so I would assume as proudly as Walther built these, that they also made special grips for the PPK with heel release.
Keep in mind that these early PPK grips often cracked, and as scare as the heel release PP and PPK's are it might even be harder to find a original grip replacement for it....
I am watching this thread on the P38 Forum also, and am waiting on Dieter to give his opinion on this as I am making assumptions here.

Soheil... no matter what, the PPK would be worth owning, as long as you don't get robbed when you pay for it....:eek:
as to the PP.... as already mentioned, the date should be stamped in the ejection port with the last two digits of the year it was made

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Mike & Uncut, you are probably correct and both of you bring up good points. The grips are always the first things to get replaced with incorrect ones. Here is a picture of a heal releas PP I found in the same book. Notice it also has the cut out for the thumb mag release:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts