Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone have this gun....looks pretty good to me, and especially for the price...also how does it compare to PPQ Match5

·
Super Moderator
3,907 Posts

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
IMHO, life is too short to own/shoot "value" guns.

Nothing ruins a range day better then leaving with a non/semi-functional firearm, short of getting shot of course.

Also, personally, I shoot ALOT of quality ammo (SIG Elite Perf, Win PDX1, Hornady XTP.....), makes NO sense to save ~$200 on an "almost like -INSERT BRAND- gun", then spend $Ks to feed it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Nothing ruins a range day better then leaving with a non/semi-functional firearm, short of getting shot of course.

Also, personally, I shoot ALOT of quality ammo (SIG Elite Perf, Win PDX1, Hornady XTP.....), makes NO sense to save ~$200 on an "almost like -INSERT BRAND- gun", then spend $Ks to feed it.

Have seen a lot of favorable videos on the Canik....on one a guy is hitting an outside 18" target repeatedly at 50 yds.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Have seen a lot of favorable videos on the Canik....on one a guy is hitting an outside 18" target repeatedly at 50 yds.

I agree, it's every bit as accurate as the Walther.

You need to look at some of the videos where parts break, and sellers wait months for replacements.

Also on the plus side, that Canik has the Legendary Lifetime Canik Warranty. No, wait.......forget that last part.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I saw Jerry Miculek hit an 18" balloon at 1,000 yards. With a revolver. He did have a red dot.

Good point.

There's a vid of Hickok45 ringing his steel gong @ 220 yds with an iron sight 50AE DEagle Mk XIX......

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,907 Posts

While it has a very nice price point, there's nothing about the TP9SFX that suggests "value gun". I had both it and a Q5 Match in my hands the same day, and it was the Canik that went home with me (and I'm a Walther aficionado)!

Why? As noted in the thread I linked, above, "the differences that immediately jumped out at me were the Q5 Match's higher price point, lower capacity (only 15 rnd magazines), heavier OEM trigger pull, longer trigger reset, and pricier magazines." I like good triggers, and the TP9SFX's was, quite simply, better than the Q5 Match's both in terms of how it felt when pulled (and in the quantifiable/measurable ways I just mentioned) … for a superior price point.

Also, check this video out -- you can put the Q5's slide/upper on the TP9SFX frame … and vice versa … and they'll each run. As I understand it, this is the result of Canik licensing from Walther. :)

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I would go with the Walther without question. Though I probably will never need it with an ULM Walther I like the peace of mind of their lifetime warranty and parts availability. Also the resale value of the Walther will be much higher if you ever decide to sell it or trade it.

All my power tools are Bosch, Milwaukee, or Makita. I don't use them that much and could have saved money with lesser brands but I have been well served by them and I never give a second thought to the extra I spent on them.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
.......All my power tools are Bosch, Milwaukee, or Makita. I don't use them that much and could have saved money with lesser brands but I have been well served by them and I never give a second thought to the extra I spent on them.

Hahaha, same here, except it's Bosch, Milwaukee, or Rigid.

Attachments

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lifetime Warranty

You need to look at some of the videos where parts break, and sellers wait months for replacements.

Also on the plus side, that Canik has the Legendary Lifetime Canik Warranty. No, wait.......forget that last part.

I believe they have lifetime warranty for the original owner

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lifetime Warranty

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Yeah Ridgid is sweet too, great warranty, and Home Depot makes it easy if there is a problem.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts

But a warranty is only as good as the company that stands behind it including turn around time and who pays shipping on newer pistol.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts

I was not aware Canik had that warranty.

Parts availability was/(is?) an issue though.

There were plenty of Canik owners complaining online a while back, spending months with inoperable firearms due to limited part availability.

Significant changes in US/Turkey relations could become an issue in this regard too (as mentioned in the thread linked in my first post in this thread).

Reactions: halfmoonclip

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Let’s assume both guns are the same. One says Canik and the other Walther. One good reason to buy Walther other than parts support would be resale.

I work as a contracted instructor at an LGS that has 6 locations. They won’t carry Canik not take in a used one. The reason....no one buys them. It’s not a good business for them.

I am trading up on my Q5 and was offered almost $600 on a trade. If it were a Canik, they wouldn’t even take it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Which is the small & which the large backstrap?

I own a TP9SFX and think it's a tremendous value for the money. Here's a thread on the topic from back when I bought it. :)

Link: https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/free-range-time/81682-canik-tp9sfx-enters-stable.html

Just received my TP9 SFX...can't see where the backstraps are marked large and small...all I see with magnifying glass is what appears to be a 1 inside the backstrap in the case. It appears to me that the larger one is on the gun, but I thought everyone else said theirs came with smaller back strap.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts