Walther Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to buy the Walther magwell and three +0 extended mag baseplates.
But, whether as a business choice or as a victim of ITAR, shop.waltherarms.com doesn't seem to offer shipping to Canada.

Now, I could have the parts shipped to a mail drop near the border and pick them up. Canadian customs won't care. But I don't want to risk the fines and jail from the USA side associated with exporting firearms parts without a licence.

So any Canadian owners have any sources for these parts on our side of the border?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Try NOrth Silva the Importer. They just replaced my sear block fromstock so they have parts.

Don't try crossing the 49th going North with ITAR parts. The US Gov't regards Canada a security risk and things could get ugly for you in a hurry. US Border Services were stopping cars going North looking for illegal export items when I crossed in 2017. They were not there in 2018 on the day I crossed.

Take Care

Bob

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But isn't North Sylva just the distributer? Didn't think they dealt with the public.
I'll ask at the local store, and the one I bought the Q5 from.

·
Registered
233 Posts
North Silva is the Canadian Distributer. They should be able to put you on to a retailer who might have what you are looking for. You should be able to buy a magwell for the gun from Brownells if they carry Walther parts. They would have the permits to ship to Canada. The magwell I would think is less than $100US.

Part of the problem is Walther in the US is not allowed, by Walther to ship to Canada. This is to protect the Canadian Distributor outside of any Federal Laws they do exist. It is my understanding we get all our Walther product from Germany through their International supply chain. Two different markets with two different needs.

Good luck with your quest.

Take Care

Bob

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, I contacted North Sylva through their FB page.
https://www.facebook.com/northsylva/

Very quick response. Was told they don't deal in aftermarket parts and to look to local retailers. The Walther magwell and baseplates on the Walther USA site must be Walther USA products and North Sylva does not deal with them.

Found nothing on Brownells except a listing for a black +5 TARAN TACTICAL INNOVATIONS magazine baseplate. Not what I want and not legal here.

North Sylva's website is spectacularly ancient looking and uninformative. I get that our market is small, but I find it sad how bad the available information is on so many sites.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Well I then would be looking for a friend in the US who could buy the part and mail it to you. I doubt a magwell for under $100 is going to violate any US export laws. You could always contact an ATF office in the US to confirm what a magwell's status is. I have had an occasion to talk to them about brass one time and they were very helpful.

Take Care

Bob

·
Registered
12 Posts
This might be an option for you: https://hwhff.biz/

They are a freight forwarding service about 2 hours from Montreal that happens to sit on the border with both a Canada and a US address. Ship it to the US side and you walk in the door on the Canadian side to pick it up. Voila, no ITAR issues.

I was referred to this company when I was looking for a Cryptic Coatings BCG for my AR. I have no firsthand dealings with them though as I ended up going a different route with my build.

·
Registered
12 Posts
And BTW, if you do go ahead with this I'd totally go in on an order with you and split the shipping cost if you would be willing to then forward my order to me via Canada Post (I'd pay for that obviously). Half-Way House wasn't able to do that for me when I last inquired and my other forwarding options were far too expensive.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ship it to the US side and you walk in the door on the Canadian side to pick it up. Voila, no ITAR issues.
Not exactly how that works. Freight forwarding doesn't absolve you of US law or the consequences of breaking it.
The risks of random checks are probably similar, but a professional bonded freight forwarder would mean less likelihood of being able to do something illegal.
A forwarder is used and paid to make sure imports/exports are done legally and all the paperwork and payments are completed. Paying them on a non-ITAR controlled firearms part would remove the risk of a random customs agent challenging the export and make life easier by avoiding needless red tape.
But if a component is ITAR controlled, they'll be charging cost plus to file the paperwork and acquire the required export permits. At which point you really want to find a retailer in the US that already has the required export permits and is familiar with the paperwork.
I've driven down to Plattsburgh to pick up packages at a mail receiving facility. Very handy when a US seller doesn't want to ship to Canada or charges ridiculous international shipping rates. Last case for me was free shipping to Plattsburgh or $50US to ship to home. A quick detour on the way home from work and pay the taxes at the Canadian border and I had that plus a shipment from a company that wouldn't ship to Canada.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And BTW, if you do go ahead with this I'd totally go in on an order with you and split the shipping cost if you would be willing to then forward my order to me via Canada Post (I'd pay for that obviously).
Update:
I've contacted Walther USA, will contact Taylor Freelance as well.

If neither can/will ship to Canada, I've also sent an inquiry to US Customs about the specific parts and if I'm allowed to drive across the border export them without a licence.

When I figure it out, I'll provide and update. If I'm having parts delivered to the border I'll solicit for any Canadains who also want parts. I'll absorb the gas and time myself as I want the parts, but exchange rate, duties/tariffs, taxes, and Canada Post shipping might add a chunk to the cost.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts