1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
9 Posts
This is not a P38K. It looks to me like a P38 thats simply had the barrel cut down and a front sight dovetailed into the forward slide strap. P38K's do not have dovetailed front sights. They also come form a select serial number range.

You see these from time to time. Sometimes somebody's trying to pass them off as a K, other times theyre Man From Uncle recreations. Not uncommon to see the end of the cut down barrel threaded for a suppressor either. No standard to the length of the cut barrels either. 3 inch, 3.5 inch etc.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Just the fact that the pistol has standard government quality control stamps means it wasn’t any exotic prototype, but entered service as a standard-configuration service P38.

The modifications appear professionally done. It also looks like both the slide and frame were refinished very nicely, and all post-factory stampings are under the finish EXCEPT the importer stamp. That would lead me to believe the modification happened before PW Arms got it, so before import from Germany or via a third country.

I wish every seller would post pictures of that quality and quantity. Still not worth anywhere near 1500 IMHO. I think the P6 on the mag is a joke stamped by the guy who did the work.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
+1
It's a refinished P1 of German Bundeswehr w. shortened barrel and added mag.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
P1 is the service name of Walther's P38. Walther always used the international caliber designation.

·
Registered
95 Posts
P1 is the service name of Walther's P38. Walther always used the international caliber designation.
I'm confused by your reply. I'm well aware that P1 is the Bundeswehr designation for the postwar P38 based service pistol. However, I have a P1 and it is clearly marked on the slide "P1 Kal 9mm." I also have a commercial P38 and it is marked "P38 Cal. 9mm." I guess my question here regards your comment that the pistol in the OP is a P1. If so, why is it labled P38 vice P1? I do see that the receiver is stamped BW, but has the slide been borrowed from a commercial P38?

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Early P1 were marked commercial, P38. We also know about commercial P38 w. service markings. Walther used, what they had on stock.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts