Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have the 1935 PPK. 32 and I was wondering if I can dry fire or should I consider buying some snap caps. ????

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
What you have is a treasure. Snap caps are a small price to pay for treating you PPK as such. As for whether it is actually safe to dry fire a pre-war PPK, I cannot say, I would err on the conservative side.

R

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
What Loren said. Snap caps are inexpensive and well worth the time it takes to put them to work in your pistol.

How about a photo of two? We always like to see pictures of pretty Walthers.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dry fire

Thank you! The caps are on order then, pictures coming to soon.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Your gun appears to be in great shape for the year. Very nice find. And just to re state what has been said so many times on this forum before..Use snap caps in all your guns whether the mfgr says you can dry fire the gun safely or not. This just ensures no undue premature firing pin failure. Plus, look at all the time you spend loading and unloading. Great practice!!

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
<DROOL>!!!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got my snap caps the other day, and had some dry firing practice, have some 80's ammo to try out see if ot is still good. I'm going to the range this weekend so we will see.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Range

I’m back from the range and it was a blast!!! This was my first experience shooting PPK and I only have good things to say about it. Starting with the trigger, short pull and does need much effort at all. I had to get use too the size of the gun, I’m use to shooting full size pistols. Other thing was the sights, no white dots, which I’m accustomed to. But after 50 rounds or so I started getting the hang of it. I used some older ammo Western brand as well as Fiochi brand that was available at the range, all in FMJ. Pistol worked perfectly, no problems whatsoever, only one thing with older ammo, it shot dirty. Gun shoots beautifully, after 150 rounds I was able to get groups of 2.5 inches at 21 feet distance. I had a fly away here and there, but all in 4 inch circle. I know that this is not perfect, I imagine that shooter with more experience could get 2 inch circles anytime. What I’m saying is that gun is very accurate, but the shooter needs more practice….The recoil was minimal and it was a really fun time, can’t wait to go back to the range.
https://picasaweb.google.com/117496647841737138512/DropBox?authkey=Gv1sRgCOKFzeDX08zS8QE#5729747740357045858

·
Registered
211 Posts
tommyb what is the serial no. of the pistol ( first three digits are fine if you what to keep it private) and what is the stamping on the frame below the mag release button say? Excellent looking PPK and very good shooting.

Tony

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tony,
I did some research on my own and this is a 1935 model used by German Postal Police before WW2. My uncle took it from a German officer during WW2 and brought it home; I wish he was still alive to tell its story. The pistol was unused for at least 15 years, but it was kept in excellent shape cleaned and oiled, this was my first range trip with it. This PPK has been part of my for the past 7 decades and I don’t intend to change it. Here is the serial number 913XXX and markings D.R.P, by the way it shoots great.
Best regards,
tommyB

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm workin on my studio set, more pictures coming this weekend.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
I'm in awe. And anxious to see more pix!

That is a stunning example, IMO. Interesting back-story, too. My dad related that when they took an officer prisoner, the guys would see how far they could throw his "toy" pistol... he brought back a P-38, I sure wish it'd been a PPK (or two) instead. Wonder how many of them are languishing in some French field, turned back into ore. Whadda shame.

Reactions: tommyb

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I completely agree wit you DrE, if they only knew...

·
Registered
211 Posts
Tony,
I did some research on my own and this is a 1935 model used by German Postal Police before WW2. My uncle took it from a German officer during WW2 and brought it home; I wish he was still alive to tell its story. The pistol was unused for at least 15 years, but it was kept in excellent shape cleaned and oiled, this was my first range trip with it. This PPK has been part of my for the past 7 decades and I don’t intend to change it. Here is the serial number 913XXX and markings D.R.P, by the way it shoots great.
Best regards,
tommyB
tommyb what a treasure you have. Be careful with those grips though. Very fragile. Don't over tighten the grip screw. I suggest some repro grips if you are going to shoot it regularly. One piece PPK repro grips are about $50.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
tommyb what a treasure you have. Be careful with those grips though. Very fragile. Don't over tighten the grip screw. I suggest some repro grips if you are going to shoot it regularly. One piece PPK repro grips are about $50.
Great advice, my grips are in perfect shape no cracks or scratches. Do you have an idea where to look first?

·
Registered
369 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts