Walther Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if it's possible to remove the spring and retain the plastic rod and blue cap for reassembly on a PPQ M2?

I'm asking because I just got a new BT guide rod (which I'm assuming somehow comes apart although there's nothing to indicate it does...)

I'd like to put the old spring on the new guide rod for the time being... simply because I know my loads are balanced to the "well used" older spring... then at some point put the new orange spring back on (the one that came with the BT rod)...

What I can't find a thread for here, or Google, or YouTube for is - how you take apart the plastic factory guide rod with the blue cap to get the spring and retain the guide rod for a rainy day... NOR can I figure out how the BT thing comes apart...

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
13,800 Posts
Thoughts? Yep, the BT guide rods are 2 piece. They have a small screw that screws into the end of the rod to retain the spring. Of course the rod can be disassembled/reassembled to replace the spring....it just takes the right tools. BT offers the tool kit on his site.

Can I remove the spring from the Walther factory guide rod? Yep, but I use a pair of wire cutters to cut the end off the rod to release the spring. The rod is toast after that. No, you can not remove the end cap from the factory rod....it doesn't screw on....it's snaps on...into a groove. But even removing the factory spring from the plastic rod requires some forethought and the manufacture of some specialty tools to compress the spring to allow you to cut the rod and then slowly release the pressure on the spring....that sucker is about 6" long, uncompressed. You also have to compress the spring onto the new rod prior to screwing in the end cap.

You probably should have just sent Bill your old rsa and let him harvest your spring and install on the new steel guide rod.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks... leave it to the Germans to make the rod single use :p

I see the pics online of the standard BT rods... I think this extended one is a single chunk of steel... no screw anywhere to be seen...

I emailed BT - I'm so impressed with his fast turnaround I'm sure I'll get an answer later today... just figured someone here (like you) would know about the plastic one.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
I was recently informed by another member on this forum that you can "unscrew" the spring off the factory guide rod from the front of the guide rod. The forum member claimed that Earl from ERS stated that this was possible, and advised that I call Earl and ask for myself.

I have never attempted to do this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you can "unscrew" the spring off the factory guide rod
Funny - as I sit here looking at it - I was wondering the same thing... getting it started will be the hard part but then after that I think it should be easy going, getting easier every revolution...

I'm also thinking there's a 80% chance that thats what BT is gonna tell me was the method to "spring" the extended 5" PPQ guide rod...

As I hear back from him I'll post - and if I try the unscrew, I'll also post that here as well...

Spring poking my eye out photos will be behind a paywall tho... gotta cover those bills :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It can and does easily "unscrew" over the small black end of the plastic rod.

You compress the spring, use a small set of needle nose pliers to separate the end of the spring and start it over the button... be careful not to gouge or score the end as you work the 2 rotations that are "tight together" making the end of the spring... then - after that - it's cake until you get the other end - and just be careful there too - spring is off - and plastic rod is in factory condition...

Now to figure out the extended BT rod...

·
Premium Member
13,800 Posts
I've used the BT 'tool kit' to allow me to loosen/tighten the retaining screw/cap. Not sure if this kit will work with the extended rods available for the PPQ 5". You'll need to check with Bill. I can assure you, a pair of pliers are certainly not recommended.

As for unscrewing the recoil spring off of the guide rod....that's a new one on me. I can't help but think it'll be a little trickier putting it back on.

Personally, I built a little jig/apparatus to allow me to compress the spring onto the rod in seconds and while holding it there, simply screw the cap/screw into the end of the rod.....then release the pressure. Next, I'd have to use the BT tool kit to actually tighten the screw. Still, a piece of cake.

Sta-Tite Toolkit

The toolkit is the secret to the Sta-Tite Guide Rod. Using it, anyone can quickly and easily dis-assemble the rod for spring swapping or an obsessively thorough cleaning.

Sta-Tite collet clamp block

A purpose built collet block firmly clamps the head of the guide rod without damaging it and provides a place for the spring compressor to twist-lock the spring down.
sta-tite spring compressor

button collet clamp block
Another collet block firmly clamps the screw allowing a plain round button to be used for cosmetic purposes. With these tools, the user is able to apply more tightening torque than when using a pair of pliers and a hex key.

With 3X normal thread engagement, a generous counterbore to guide the screw, hardened material for the rod and ample material to allow the screw to stretch, the assembly is virtually bullet-proof and will “Sta-Tite without loc-tite”

Sta-Tite rods are available with springs installed, meaning you don’t need a toolkit unless you’d like to dis-assemble the rod to swap on a new spring or clean it with the spring removed.

Who should buy a toolkit?
A shooter who has already noticed a need to replace the recoil spring frequently. Recoil springs can last 3-5 thousand rounds but it’s a good idea to test your spring to know that it’s functioning properly. If you’re shooting 500-1000 rounds a week using a 13 pound spring in a Glock 34, a toolkit would be a good idea as this spring will be replaced frequently.

If you’re a casual shooter who shoots 100-200 rounds per month, your spring may last a couple of years. In that case it may make more sense to simply send your rod back to B~T for a new spring.

Or hey… you can always grab some vise-grips and scratch it all up!!!

-

Purchase any toolkit for $38.00

1 - 7 of 7 Posts