Walther Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Roger is holding his wrist with the support hand - is this to keep from "slide bite" and is it better than "no support" at all?

·
Registered
629 Posts
Brosnan tea cupped his. Movies always embellish action moves. I would have to go back and look at that specific seen, but he appears to be bringing the gun in a downward motion to obtain sight alignment. That is the only reason why I could see his support hand being where it is.

Reactions: STEELINOX

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can understand that if you had experience with "slide bite," as I have with my PPK; and I have tried this particular "hold" of Roger's - that resulted in a somewhat effective "stabilization" of the grip; resulting in good groups at 5 meters...

Supposing a "limp wrist" danger can be induced; would such a firm gripped hand supported by a "wrist lock" be a determent?

I am sure an armorer "on set," would have commented on this particular hold...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The PPK has a "smallish" real estate to grip the tiny pistol - I suppose even a blank firing "prop" can still induce a bite.

Holding the PPK with both hands wrapping the grip has resulted in slide bite and a cautionary, handling somewhat feels all too encompassing but if held firmly results in very good groupings.

Just thought it interesting that Moore's character held the PPK like this...

·
Registered
592 Posts
Gripping the wrist of the firing hand does nothing to avoid slide/hammer bite. However, lowering one's (firing hand) thumb, as done in the picture, does help avoid slide/hammer bite. (Locking the elbow of one's firing arm, as done in the picture, also helps ensure proper cycling of the blow-back PP series.) The depicted technique does provide some minor enhancement of firing stability. However, doing so improperly (in haste) increases the change of placing one's non firing thumb in the path of the rearward moving slide.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Remembering the era, that was considered good form to hold a pistol.

It was one generation removed from shooters holding a handgun in one hand. Squatting and, placing the fist of the off hand over your heart to catch a bullet.

Techniques have evolved. Slightly.

And, it’s a movie.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
It's Hollywood!

I grip my PP(LOL:D) like I would a Revolver. Weak thumb over my strong thumb, with the strong thumb pointing down. There used to be a video on the forum with the "correct grip" to mitigate slide bite.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
“Roger” was very anti-gun, so likely as not he was holding that pistol as far away from him as he could. There is nothing in his stance that has to do with good marksmanship. His hold is typical of folks who have no experience with firearms.

Don’t look to Hollywood for lessons on how to shoot.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
In the case of Bond, it's Pinewood, not Hollywood 😉
And nobody connected in any way to the Bond franchise including Ian Fleming, had Clue One about guns.
Good observation K, the funny thing is that without Fleming’s clueless choice of the PPK for his fictional secret agent, the Walther Forum would be a subsection in the Old German Pistols Forum.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Brosnan tea cupped his. Movies always embellish action moves. I would have to go back and look at that specific seen, but he appears to be bringing the gun in a downward motion to obtain sight alignment. That is the only reason why I could see his support hand being where it is.
I saw this from PB. Is this a good “grip” in anyone’s opinion, “teacupping?”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
629 Posts
It does not provide the stability of better grips, if that is what you are wondering, but it is a better grip for speed than Moore's in my opinion.

Reactions: STEELINOX

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Good observation K, the funny thing is that without Fleming’s clueless choice of the PPK for his fictional secret agent, the Walther Forum would be a subsection in the Old German Pistols Forum.
Quit being reasonable! This is the internet! :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
He's holding his arm to stabilise against hand wobble. It helps with accuracy if you have a shaky hand or find the pistol heavy, but has basically no effect regarding recoil.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts