Walther Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AS type trigger system. When striker is cocked, trigger in its rearward position, taking up the slack prior to striker let off produces a "click" that is both audible and very noticable with my trigger finger. The feel of the click is such that it feels just like when the striker releases to fire. I've also noticed that the short trigger pull is very inconsistent as to both feel and weight. I am confuzzed! One pull will be approx 5-6 pounds, recock the striker by retracting the slide for the next, it may feel like a 10 pound pull.

·
Registered
150 Posts
If this is a new weapon to you or you are unfamiliar with the AS trigger this may help. If it's not the following explanation then I am as clueless to the issue as you may be.

If I am not mistaken you must have an AS model P99. When first cocked, you have the long light pull. If you pull the trigger half way back it clicks at a stopping point where you can let off without firing, but now the trigger will still be cocked half way back. If you decide to then take the shot it will not have the longer pull to fire. this where the trigger will reset to for each additional shot, unless you decock it. Under quiet conditions you are probably hearing that trigger at its half way position and you can feel it too. Unload the gun and pull the trigger back to that point and you will understand what I am talking about. Notice the firing pin does not release.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What I'm wondering is when the striker is cocked, trigger is in its at rest position (short pull), from there when taking up the approx. 1/4-3/8 inch of travel before the striker releases, this trigger movement produces a loud click and this takeup also requires about three or four pounds of pressure. I'm trying to find what in the trigger mechanism might be in need of a bit of either fitting or polishing. Wit the slide off the trigger is smooth so it has to be something between the contacting surfaces of the slide and trigger mechanism that causes this. Thanks!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thorn, to be honest, none. I have dry fired and also worked the trigger just short of dry firing too many times to count. As I'd said earlier, this pistol is a SW-99 NOT a true Walther. Had it to do over, knowing what I know now, I'd have held out for an original no matter the extra price. Leave it to an American company to take an excellant design and through less than 100% quality effort, turn it into a SIGMA with the look of a Walther. I thing I found the culprit in this case...The cam? on the trigger bar that raises the striker lock? had a sharp corner on it. I polished this enough to chamfer the corner, its much better now. I'll address the tool marks inside the striker channel in the slide next. Tomorrow I'm gonna run at least 200 rnds through it. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Everything sounds like the weapon is firing, and I can't really understand what you are saying. Try shooting it and see if it fires like it dry fires. I believe you are experinceing the actual fireing of the pistol (fireing pin going forward) which happens before the trigger is all the way to the rear.

Shoot it and let us know, as the SW-99 is very similar to the P99, bit wotj a bot rpigjer trigger. Modification of the trigger wont be necessary just lots of shooting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts