Walther Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the range today with my P99. I put 25 rounds through at 10, 15 and then 20 yards and every shot went exactly where I wanted it having my sights lined up. Then my shots started going way off the mark, usually off the paper. It was that abrupt, first 25 or so were on the mark and then all of a sudden my shots were going all over the place. I didn't drop the gun or bump against it and I certainly didn't touch the sights, so I can't think of why my shots changed like that all of a sudden, it was weird. I put another 25 rounds through and I had no idea where they were going so I stopped shooting after that.

Maybe this just seems like a phenomenon to me cause I don't get to shoot much and it's well known to you guys, but is it possible for the sights to move about while shooting, maybe from the recoil or something?ca

·
Registered
432 Posts
A lot of things could cause this.

I would first check to see if the sights have moved or are loose.

Sometimes I get tired at the range and my shooting accuracy falls off. In my case that could be my diabetes. A blood sugar drop could easily cause this.

·
Premium Member
8,637 Posts
Any time accuracy has a sudden radical decline stop shooting and immediately inspect your weapon.
Look at the sights to make sure they are not loose, remove the slide and inspect the front sight screw. There could be a number of causes besides loose sights but check this first.

(If these are the Walther windage adjustable rear sights make sure the square screw head is properly seated in the detent. I've seen that cause a few issues in the past.)

If the sights are fine inspect the frame for cracks and the slide, inspect the mag....rack the weapon a few times to make sure it seems to cycle properly. Is it on the rails?

Now have someone else CAREFULLY shoot 3 rounds...still off target? Send it to Walther. It is too dangerous to operate safely.

Reactions: Vandal320

·
Premium Member
8,637 Posts
Open your eyes while shooting???

·
Premium Member
13,797 Posts
Do your shooting from inside the barn. No one will ever say you can't hit the broad side of a barn.

Once you've followed Olsoul's advice and done a complete check, let someone else shoot it. Oh, grab your front sight between your finger and thumb and see if you can move it. Is this a steel or plastic front sight?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I honestly don't think it was any fault of my own, I didn't do anything differently than I've done every other time I go. I've been shooting enough so that my hands don't hurt and I didn't get tired. Sure, my stance changed but every time I go to the range I'm walking around, checking the target, getting a drink of water etc., I never stand in one place (I don't shoot indoors). I don't think it was my technique, it was so sudden. One mag and every shot was were I want it, next mag they're going all over the place. This has never happened before, that's why I'm at such a lose for an explanation other than the sights changing. I'm gonna take a look at the sights again, thats got to be it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts