Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Left side of slide AC
1001-0-Cal. 7.65
ZELLA-MEHLIS (sp)-Germany

Right side . Serial # oooox
(magazine matches)

I only gave a couple hundred dollars for it .
ANY info GREATLY APPRECIATED .

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Pictures would help

·
Registered
283 Posts
Hello,
Without having seen any pics I guess this is a German ex-GDR made "P1001" pistol, which was "embellished" for the US market by adding the old Walther code "ac" and "Zella-Mehlis Germany". This was done in the US for marketing purposes.
Dieter H. Marschall.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I might add that for “a couple hundred dollars” I could happily live with the added decorations. A serious collector might spurn it, but this unlicensed variant from the early 1950s is quite interesting. Contrary to the stamping, the pistols weren’t produced in Zella-Mehlis, but nearby in a part of the VEB Ernst-Thälmann factory in Suhl (formerly Haenel) where later the East German Makarow was manufactured.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I might add that for “a couple hundred dollars” I could happily live with the added decorations. A serious collector might spurn it, but this unlicensed variant from the early 1950s is quite interesting. Contrary to the stamping, the pistols weren’t produced in Zella-Mehlis, but nearby in a part of the VEB Ernst-Thälmann factory in Suhl (formerly Haenel) where later the East German Makarow was manufactured.
The single digit serial # is what had me intrigued. Is this a weekend shooter ot a 'collectable gawker'?

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
For me personally and probably nobody else here, it would be a collectible, since it was made in my home state of Thuringia. I had an East German Makarov too, for the same reasons of Ostalgia, until I got tired of fixing it.

·
Registered
496 Posts
The single digit serial # is what had me intrigued. Is this a weekend shooter ot a 'collectable gawker'?
Although I’m not from Thüringen, I‘d be in the same boat as Kar98. It‘s not a “white glove” treasure and I’d feel free to shoot it, but not abuse it, and keep it for the historical curiosity.

i don’t know whether anyone would place added value or particular importance on the low serial. I guess it definitely places the pistol at the beginning of regular P1001 production in 1953.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts