Walther Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you get a DA/SA on a striker fired system. Could someone explains how each mechanism in the walther acts to create the second strike ability.

I have been looking at many gun designs and want to understand the Walther from a engineering point of view.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Not me, although I think I understand it, but sure not enough to explain to any one. I have a hard enough time trying to get people to even know what "second strike capability" is, and of it's importance!
I'm sure glad the P99 has it however!
Hope you do get your answer, as I'd like to see it too!

·
Registered
525 Posts
What is the question really? The P99 can fire from double action.  Double action takes either a striker or hammer at rest, cocks it, and releases it.  Each time you pull the trigger this happen.  You can call it double strike if you want to market it, but it isn't a marvelous invention or anything.

This brocure has a decent little cutaway of the P99 that might help you understand its operation a bit better http://www.carl-walther.info/Ersatzteil/P99E.pdf

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
I assume he meant that most Striker based pistols work as a Glock - the P99 is unusual. He wants to know how the mechanism works to differentiate it from the Glock or QA trigger.

·
Registered
471 Posts
It was never a big deal with me until I didn't have it, and needed it. Albeit it was not in a combat situation, but it got me thinking...
I'll not use for defense purposes/probably buy another pistol that does not have the double strike capacity!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks soybomb thats exactly what I was looking for. On the page with the cut out Walther, you get a diagram of how the trigger moves.

If you take a glock apart, although they function in a similar way, they are drasticly different. Not to mention the glock is a ugly gun inside and out.

I have been looking at armors manuals for the HK SIG GLOCK 1911 to better understand why things are engineered in a certian way. It gives you a better understanding why a manufacturer has done something.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]So, other than rapid dry firing, what is the point?  (Besides being able to de-cock from SA to DA.)
Well I guess that depends upon your training and situation. If I were an LEO or had competent training and I had a FTF the sure thing to do would be to rack the slide and chamber another round. Yet I would say that most people, with little training, would instinctively try pulling the trigger repeatedly before thinking of racking the slide, unless of course they have been Glock trained. Let’s face it most LEOs don’t get enough training either. One of the complaints made from our department's firearms instructor is that most LEOs are concerned with how many Gigs is on their laptop rather than their proficiency with a handgun.  On a few occasions, with hand-loads and in shooting competition, I have found that having a double strike capability has been handy. I once but some IDF subgun ammo by mistake and didn't realize that they had hardend primers and the double strike was very useful...think of a LEO who is holding a light or his off hand is not available, there may be some occasions were a double strike would be advantageous, albeit I would say, rarely.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Good point.

Now I wonder, with all the LE contracts for glock, why haven't they added this evolutionary trigger?

Or, if Walther has had this AS trigger in the P-99s since the mid-90s, why didn't S&W (now partners w/ Walther and in the SW-99) put this trigger in their new M&P?

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
Most LEO departments pick issued guns not just by features but also cost.... well I wonder why Glock gets the contracts and why is it that military spec-ops and HLS picks H&K and Sig...
S&W is no longer making (at least not listed on the homepage) the SW99. They only had the SW990(L) left which is DAO.....

Walther also offers the "same" action in the "QA" like th Glock does... with one big difference... it does have a decocker so you can remove the slide without having to press the trigger...

The last thing I wanna say here.... Walther has nothing to do with S&W but that it is a strategic alliance. Walther is owned by UMAREX not S&W. I doubt S&W has any say in how Walther makes a gun....

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
One thing I guess I wanted to add.....
If you look at the H&K's and Sig's that are DA/SA. They all have the second strike "option" due to having a hammer...
So if the P99 was not a "strikerfired only" gun it would not even be a big deal.....
Walther did something that was just a given for them,,,, they made the PP which was one of the first fully functional DA/SA autos and carried it over to a striker fired pistols...
enough said... I love the the "heavy" DA trigger with lighter follow ups

1 - 14 of 14 Posts