Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I am new to this forum and seeking information, if anyone can help that would be great!! Also FYI for the below info I am a NC resident and suppressors and threaded barrels are completely legal.

My dad bought me my first pistol, a Walther P22, years ago as a young teen. Now I am 22 and just recently purchased a suppressor and am wanting to be able to use my P22 suppressed and just found out it is California compliant. I Contacted Walther and talked to them about this and they informed me I would have to switch my barrel for this to work. So I ordered the shorter barrel since mine is the target version. I then went to remove the barrel and hit the snag of the lovely CA compliant. Why Walther sold me the barrel kit knowing I had a CA compliant P22 I have no clue and customer service has been AWFUL!

Now I finally removed the barrel nut and have the threads exposed but the sleeve for the barrel is still stuck on there. All I need to do is remove the target barrel so I can replace it with the shorter non stupid CA compliant barrel. Has anyone had any experience switching the barrel of a CA P22 or know what I need to do. PLEASE HELP!!

Thanks,
Justin

·
Registered
10,537 Posts
Welcome Justin....and, uh......Happy New Year. The CA version of the P22 is simply a P22 with a loctited on barrel nut that has no wrench lands. All you really needed was a new barrel nut, one with lands for loosening and tightening. Everyone else gets a small wrench with the pistol for this.

Both the short barrel and the long barrel use a barrel sleeve. The 5" version is longer as is the barrel of course. The sleeve is indexed with a small slot at the chamber end. Once the nut is loosened the sleeve should come off with a simple pull. The barrel slide out to the rear.

The 5" barrel also comes with a stabilizer that must be removed in order to remove the slide in order to remove the barrel. Since you have gotten the barrel nut off, the sleeve should pull loose. I've never seen one that is stuck......unless Walther has changed something and I don't think they have.

You can continue to use your long barrel and sleeve with a thread adapter. The adapter screws onto the end of the barrel and replaces the barrel nut... It is used to keep the barrel tight. Then you remove the thread protector cap, if installed, and screw on your suppressor. The net is full of adapters. M1911

The rear of the barrel sleeve looks like this and should be indexed with a tab on the frame before tightening. It is simply a sleeve that fits over the barrel. As the barrel nut is tightened against the sleeve it pulls the threaded barrel forward tightening it against the frame.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info! I thought it was weird myself that the sleeve itself is stuck on considering the barrel nut is now off. Do you have any ideas of how I could remove it?

·
Registered
10,537 Posts
I can't think of anything that would be holding it on. It is a simple system. The barrel is fed through the frame from the rear until the front of the chamber rests against the rear of the frame at the chamber area. You then slide the barrel sleeve over the barrel and against the frame making sure the notch lines up properly. Then you tighten the barrel nut until it is pretty snug. There never was anything holding the barrel sleeve on the frame that I'm aware of. The CA model simply had a barrel nut tightened on with something akin to red locktite and the nut didn't have any lands for unscrewing it. Try lightly tapping the sleeve from the side with something like a plastic screwdriver handle and see if it doesn't come loose. It should not be stuck. M1911

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lol I couldn't get it done in time last year. I did work on it some more and no luck getting that sleeve off :\. Thinking about just giving up on the barrel switch and just putting my suppressor adapter on it and leaving it with the target barrel.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Here are some pic I don't see anything hanging it up. There is a screw right below the feeding ramp portion and I have unscrewed it but it doesn't come out all the way. Not sure if that has anything to do with it or not.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,537 Posts
The screw on the right side of the frame is one of two that hold the frame together. It has nothing to do with removing the barrel/sleeve. The spring under the feed ramp presses the magazine disconnect safety foot down.
Screw the barrel nut back on, engage plenty of threads but do not fully tighten. Tap on the end of the nut to drive the barrel rearward. See if that helps. I can't tell from the pictures...is there an indentation on the muzzle end of the sleeve? M1911

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes there is an indention on the top part of the sleeve. The indention is where the set screw for the "stablizer" goes.

·
Registered
10,537 Posts

Pictured above is where the sleeve fits into the frame. You can see the tab that fits into the notch on the sleeve. There is nothing here that holds the sleeve in place. We don't see to much discussion of the CA model. I'm not aware of any extra steps to hold the barrel sleeve in place. M1911

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Took your advice on threading the barrel nut back on, but not all the way, and taping the end of it. This finally broke the barrel free from the sleeve and I got the barrel and sleeve separated! It seems that on the CA models not only do they attach the barrel with some sort of epoxy but they also do the sleeve as well. As soon as I was able to take off the sleeve I could see all sort of gunk in there keeping it on. I let the sleeve soak in acetone and cleaned everything and now good as new! My short barrel should be here in a couple days! So I know have a CA model that is not California compliant! Thanks so much for your help!!

·
Registered
10,537 Posts
Glad you got it off. I didn't know there was extra glue under there. Like I said, there hasn't been much discussion over the years on the CA model and I've never read of anyone having your issue. You can get these nuts from Walther, Arkansas. M1911

Above are what normal barrel nuts look like. Both are the same ubut way back....say, 2005, Walther began adding an O ring at the base to help keep the barrel nut from loosening. One year the owners manual even said the nut was to be kept finger tight....:p No, that barrel has to be screwed on tight so the zinc frame doesn't take a pounding.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Now I finally removed the barrel nut and have the threads exposed but the sleeve for the barrel is still stuck on there.
I have a Kalifornia compliant one, as well, and now live in a free state. I was wondering about the same thing that you just wrote about, but my question for you is, how did you remove the barrel nut? Did you have to use a blow drier to heat the thread locking compound and then use vice grips, or did you use something more refined?

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Someone came to me to have a Kalifornistan P22 converted to a free pistol a few months back. I had the SAME trouble getting that piggin' sleeve to fall free. Looked and looked and looked, but I couldn't find anything holding it on.

Threaded but back on one or two threads shy, and tapped with the plastic hammer. Fell free immediately. Soaked the parts to get the loctite off, and fitted everything back together flawlessly.

Took maybe 2 hours to do it all. Glad you got everything squared away jty.

Welcome to the forum, and we look forward to hearing from you again. Wishing you many successful future purchases. Walther's are top shelf products. I have bought and sold many. Own one now, one on the way, and a "replica" setup on a .22 rifle. Couldn't be happier, plus the forum members here are really great.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Think1st

I had a suppressor adaptor that took the place of my barrel nut so I was not to concerned about my barrel nut. So I soaked the entire barrel nut with a spray lube like break free and did so generously and let it soak. Not sure if that really helped to loosen anything or not but after letting it soaked I used a pair of vice grips and it twisted right off. It did damage the barrel nut but everything else was okay. Also you can by a barrell nut or a suppressor on ebay. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
JTY,

When you say you have a suppressor, are you talking about the "can" that they sell that just goes on and doesn't really do much aside from looks, or are you talking legit sound suppression??? Would be interesting to see your rig once you get it tip top.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts