Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello- I am new to the forum, but not to Walther. I own a P99 and P22 set and love them.

I have great interest in purchasing in a PPK/S very, very soon. It is a stainless German, DA version. What is required to change calibers from .380ACP to 32ACP to 22LR ? Clearly barrel and magazine, but is there anything else ? Is it even possible ?

Any help you can give would be appreciated.

·
Registered
821 Posts
if possible, I'd bet it would be cheaper to buy a whole new gun.

Also, if it's German, I wouldn't be messing with it like that, ya know? Leave it be!

-stunks

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
First of all, only American PPk's and PPk/S's were made in stainless.  German PPK's are only in blue.

To go from 380 to 32 you would need to change the barrel, slide, recoil spring and magazine.  All of the slide interanal parts will work in both.

To change to .22 you would again need to change the slide, barrel, recoil spring & magazine.  However, the slide interal parts woul mostly need to be changed as well.

This is not a practicle conversion mainly because the barrel is very difficult to remove.  Some require a slide press, some can be remove by tapping with a hammer.  It is not impossible, but in the long run would be better just to have all three guns since the barrel is pinned and can be very difficult to remove and install.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Yes, I would think you would have more money tied up in parts and labor as you would another gun. By the way, most ppk/s you will find will be american. I don't believe that .22s were made in the US. There was a cheap conversion kit to make a .22 but it is for single shots.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay- I'm now the proud owner of a S&W Walther PPK/S in bright stainless .380. What I meant before was- a real licensed Walther PPK- not some knock-off manufactured by Bersa or someone else.

Let me know if you think this was a good deal:

Walther PPK/S - .380 pistol (2 mags) - $440
Two spare Walther .380 7-rd mags - $45
.32ACP replacement slide - $75
.32ACP replacement barrel/spring assy - $106
Three spare Walther .32 8-rd mags - $55.50
---------------------------------------
Total - $721.50

So not quite the cost of a new PPK/S for the conversion materials, but not cheap either. I'm extremely pleased with the look and feel of it, although I'll always wonder about the matte stainless I saw next to it. The price of the non-mag materials was very fair, I thought. Barrel comes out with some difficulty, using a small hammer I keep for these sort of things.

It turns out S&W doesn't have a .22LR variant planned yet, so that idea may be dead. The Interarms version might fit, but I'm hesitant about putting parts from different manufacturers into the same precison gun. Also, as banddr2 alluded, a portion of the striker mechanism might have to change for the 22LR conversion as well.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Yes, the .22 walther ppk's have the firing pin coming through where the loaded chamber pin would be in the center fire models.

Your prices for conversion parts for a S&W sound ok. For comparison, I just converted a German surplus postwar PP into a German PPK/S. I found a new German proofed PPK slide for $105 and a used PPK barrel for $45 and purchase a recoil spring from Wolff. Now I have an all German PPK/s with no serial number on the slide and it is a sweet shooter. If anyone attempts converting a PP to the shorter PPK barrel, be advised that you will need to cut a new channel for the pin since the barrel receiver in the PP is slightly longer than the PPK. I did it because I have always wanted a postwar German PPK, but can't afford one
, so I made the poor man's version all for about $450 in gun and parts. Surprisingly, my shorter barrel is more accurate than the original, longer pp barrel.

Since you are dealing with new S&W parts, I think your conversion is a good Idea. PPK's shoot much better in .32 than 380 IMHO. Enjoy.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Range Report

I took my new PPK/S to my range twice in the last 3 days to try it out. First I went on Saturday with the .32ACP pieces in place, and then did a barrel/slide swap to .380 after cleaning. I went back this afternoon to try again. The results were pretty good, as detailed below:

.32ACP
I test-fired 100 rounds. Ammo was Fiocchi 71gr FMJ Fed Classic for first 50 cartridges and Sellier & Bellot 71gr FMJ for the second 50. No malfunctions with either brand. I was surprised that the muzzle flip and recoil were as high as they were, but the pistol was extremely accurate for my first time out- I wasn't too concerned with good groupings but I had 2" groups at 10 yds, and 4" groups at 25 yrds.

.380ACP
Again it was 100 rounds. Ammo was Remington UMC 95gr FMJ for first 50 cartridges and Sellier & Bellot 92gr FMJ for the second 50. I had 1 stovepipe and 5 FTF caused by some kind of slide jam with the Remington. Each time I had to cycle the slide back about 1mm and release to correct it (no biggie). The S&B was fine with no malfunctions. The recoil was substantial with both ammo types, and my shots were all over the place (for someone who shoots 9mm and 40S&W, and who did fine with most of the same gun 2 days previous, it was a bit embarrassing).

I may not buy the Rem UMC ammo again- part of the appeal was that I can get the 250-rd mega-packs for $40; guess I know why now. What are everyone else's ammo suggestions ?

---------------

Overall, I'm extremely pleased with this gun, and I think it will be my favorite for a long time to come. I'm off to clean it now (the best part!).

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Congrats, I am glad it worked out for you. I think the PPK works best with .32. the 380 cartridge is too big and if things aren't perfect you get malfunctions. Ballistically I think the 32 is a little faster and some say they penetrate more, but the 380 makes a bigger hole. PPK in 380 hurts me alot, I can't do more that 50 rds, then I need bandaids, so don't be embarrassed. I currently us a ppk/s, the longer frame helps ALOT.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Kraut22,
Is your replacement .32 slide and barrel from S&W??
I was told that they never did manufacture the PPK in .32 and have since cancelled plans to do so.
Very curious...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Interarms.

You're correct- S&W manufactures only the .32ACP mags, not pistol/parts in .32ACP. When I called a month ago, they said it's planned for 2006, but there's no literature or advertisements on it.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Bumping this back up. Is there any updates to parts or conversion kits since this thread was posted a decade ago? I’m on the hunt for a blued .32 PPK or PPKS to add to the PP collection and as was mentioned before, they’re a bit harder to find.

And when I find this unicorn, opinions on a reasonable price range to consider (assuming a post-war vintage of less than 70 years) would definitely be valued and appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
7,359 Posts
What am I missing with all the ampersands and pound signs in the original post?
Moon

·
Registered
362 Posts
What am I missing with all the ampersands and pound signs in the original post?
Moon
Yeah ya gotta read through that stuff. I’m not the guy who can speak to the history of the site but that’s html and ascii code that snuck in somehow. For example each space in this sentence can be expressed by “%20” but you don’t see that because the system correctly translates. And somewhere along the line, something happened and instead of the code, it became literal text.

So back to the question at hand, I have a S&W Shield that was originally .40 cal. Talk about a snappy thing. I started to think about selling it and then discovered that a conversion barrel and 9mm mags were all that was needed, the slide, recoil spring.. all remained the same. As I researched and read the collective opinions were that S&W must have made some engineering mistake because they were out of whole lot of gun sales.

So, applying this to the Walthers, I read that even the slides were different between the .32 and the .380? Since the popularity of the Walther PPK(s) are noteworthy, I was wondering if some engineering young soul was able to come up with a way to shoot both sized rounds.

·
Super Moderator
7,359 Posts
Thnx for the comeback, oh wiseone. ;)

Rereading this thread (thru' the #s and &s), it is still amazing the OP was trying to do this, and even less clear why.
It bears a longer look at my .380 & .32 breechfaces, but the changing barrels thing is not easily done.
Modern Glock 9mms and .40s appear to be easy to interchange, and a lot of the Glock guys get all sweated up at the notion. But the PP-series? Not so much.
Moon

Reactions: WiseguyDS

·
Premium Member
8,647 Posts
It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than it is for a PP model to change its calibre.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Thanks for the opining, Moon n OS. You guys make me want to ask questions just to read the answers. Heh, let me think of some more. Well, the fixed barrel thing does make sense not to want to swap often.

·
Registered
629 Posts
MGMike has several responses detailing what would be required to do so. Machining would be required to possibly convert .32 to .380 but all parts would need to be swapped out as well. The shape of the trigger bars and sears are different for each and operate under different tolerances in order to function correctly. The hammer and recoil springs are also different. In short, you are basically building a brand new gun, so why not just buy one that was already properly made by Walther?

·
Premium Member
8,647 Posts
^Watcher isn't that what I stated when I said "It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than it is for a PP model to change its caliber."? :)

·
Registered
629 Posts
Some people need the long explanation for things to sink in... myself included at times.

Reactions: olsoul
1 - 20 of 21 Posts