Walther Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, new to the group and the Walther game. i work at a gun shop part time in AK and we had a huge collection of Lugers and P38s come in the other day. needless to say i jumped and bought both from my boss. my question is about my P38, it has all matching parts and the Serial Number is in the 4000 range with no letter. Im aware that the police issue guns were in the 1-6000 range, and if I'm not mistaken, the standard ones started in the 9000 range. my quandary comes with the markings. there is no E/L or other police acceptance mark on the right side of the slide. it just has the Eagle over WAa135 and Eagle over the swastika. any idea what i have here, and if its a police thats missing the mark?

thanks so much

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Pictures please.

·
Registered
923 Posts
What is on the other side of the slide BYF over 42? or 43 or BYF/44. At the start of production there was no letter suffix on the serial number from December 1942 until the A block in late Jaunuary 1943. Also BYF over 42 slide were used into 1943 and inter mixed with BYF/43 sides. Mauser again had NLS serial numbers from late October 1944 until mid November of 1944 for the BYF44 guns. Again the BYF44 slide were ued into the 1945 production inter mixing with the SVW45 slides. Current thinking is that there were two lines of production running concurrently at Mauser for the military and Police guns. If you gun does not have the Eagle over N proof and Eagle over L or F then it is not a police issue P.38 but a militray issue one.

·
Registered
923 Posts
We need the whole serial number to tell you anything specific to you gun. As with all collector oriented discussion groups pictures and the complete serial are required before we can get into specific details about the P.38 you hace been describing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts