Walther Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I have an opportunity to purchase a very nice looking P38 byf coded Mauser from 1943 g series.

First off, I get it…. people asking questions crossing out serial numbers is annoying and not well regarded. I’m sorry to do that on my first post, but since I don’t own the pistol I didn’t want to take the liberty of posting it.

The pistol is really nice looking as you can see, and all numbers match. There doesn’t appear to be any wear on the parts and looks to be relatively unused (officer maybe?).

My question is, does this appear to be privately refinished or arsenal refinished, or could this be original? I don’t see any indication of Russian capture either. I don’t have a lot of experience with this model so I can’t tell the difference between re-blued, dust blue, or regular issued. My experience is much stronger with milsurp rifles

It includes two correct magazines and an older REPLICA holster.

I tried to post plenty of pictures for the best responses.

Thanks so much! My first pistol was a Walther PPQ M2 a few years ago and it’s still my favorite. I look forward to diving into this site and building my Walther knowledge.
THANK YOU!

BFB1FD38-FA8D-4D83-B7D3-02F5F75300A4.jpeg
B076EE2D-5088-4AF1-92FA-A9A9D079C1FD.jpeg
43405EC1-1759-4C81-8834-98201FD064F7.jpeg
E9A23DDD-D1FF-4219-8A09-7A8B6E9B70D3.jpeg

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
Well i can promise you a few things. No buff wheel has touched the gun. The holster is probably a reproduction. If it was reblued, they simply stripped the original blue and, per ww2 era methods, hot salt blued it. The bluing is almost perfect which is not really common on ww2 guns.

My feeling, 60% chance the bluing is original and that is me just trying to be nice. My gut keeps telling me it is a really well done reblue.

Holster being a reproduction is not indicative of anything on the pistol except maybe if the owner claims the pistol has been stored in the holster for 75 years.

Can you see any wear patterns anywhere on the pistol? I can't see any at all.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well i can promise you a few things. No buff wheel has touched the gun. The holster is probably a reproduction. If it was reblued, they simply stripped the original blue and, per ww2 era methods, hot salt blued it. The bluing is almost perfect which is not really common on ww2 guns.

My feeling, 60% the bluing is original.

Holster being a reproduction is not indicative of anything on the pistol except maybe if the owner claims the pistol has been stored in the holster for 75 years.
The owner was very upfront on the holster. Reproduction from around 25 years ago.

Thank you for your response.

·
Registered
101 Posts
While it looks good to me and appears to be the original finish, you may want to post your pictures and ask your questions over on the P.38 forum. P 38 & PP-PPK Collector Forum

The members there are extremely knowledgeable and helpful. If there's anything not correct about it, they'll know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply and recommendation. I registered, but I’m waiting to be “approved” before I can post.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Looks good to me. Mauser seemed to have better looking P38's than the other two manufacturers. The import mark would be a deal breaker to most collectors but it is in a discreet area and won't be noticed. I think it would be a nice first P38.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts