Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,618 Posts
Yep, it was a great ride for quite a few years. So, I'll just say this.

Happy Trails to you.......until......we meet......again........................

·
Premium Member
8,585 Posts
Jimbo If I do another Greet and Shoot or something similar I'll get in touch by email.
I understand your frustrations with both the format and present quality of the product. My count down timer is also on.

·
Premium Member
8,585 Posts
No Balogh not completely. It is the same bland format you see on every single forum everywhere. In fact unless you look at the title you have no idea which forum you are on. But by product I wasn't referring to the software.
I'm talking about the general discourse. I suppose I too have become lazy in my ways and terminology. I should have been more precise in my terms.

Knowing Jim personally I think I understand that the format change was the final straw. I think we both miss discussions on the finer points of Manurhin blued weapons in the 50s, why one should avoid refinishing certain older weapons, or how to completely break down a P99c.

Reactions: GeoNole94 and mpgus

·
Premium Member
8,585 Posts
"I see through a glass darkly"

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
Walther has become a more mainstream brand in the US. I see a lot of people shooting Walthers now. Mostly PPQs but other guns as well.

It's no longer that niche European brand in the US that brings with it a certain, sort of elitist feeling from its devotees. The feeling one gets when they know something not everyone else does.

It's mainstream now. Used by house wives, elite competitors and everything in between.

The forum reflects that shift. Some will like it and some will not. There is room for everyone though. Hopefully, some of the "old timers" choose to stick around and help the newer crowd in their journey as shooters.

Once again, there is room for everyone and the forum is ultimately we make of it.

·
Premium Member
8,585 Posts
The sad thing here is that Jim who works in the firearms retail sales had a unique window into areas of industry that most of us are not aware of.

We have lost a number of members who made up a valuable part of the Walther Forums "Brain Trust". Members who had the deep knowledge, expertise, and patience to help others here with issues or just help them with skills.
Once lost, these "brain trust" members are almost impossible to replace, as those with the prerequisite skills will have slight inclination to remain after visiting this site.

Reactions: GeoNole94

·
Registered
243 Posts
Hate to say it but Forums are already a dying thing. Leaving with knowledge to pass onto passionate newcomers like myself will only perpetuate the death of a place like this.

Wish you all well nonetheless. Was great absorbing the knowledge of an old era.

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
Facebook groups have taken over a lot of people who used to participate in online gun forums. ALL of the various gun forum websites have less traffic now because of it.

But yes, I too agree that the new software here on this site is horrendous.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I too am sorry that several of the experienced members are leaving the forum. I too had no issues with the old forum software but understand that time marches on, and there are advantages to the new software. I belong to 4-5 sites that use the same software and am getting used to it. I may at some point leave this forum but it won’t be due to a software change.

·
Premium Member
8,585 Posts
Upon returning here after so long away, I was horrified to see the changed format. It's all gone now.

-Pilotsteve
It certainly isn't the same Forums you remember. Many of your friends have left due to the changes in ownership and format. Old trusted members like MGMike left in disgust, balance got sick of some of the idiots here and left...

The few "Salty Dogs" left seem to be hanging on by threads. The wonderful brain trust that existed for so long has vanished.

I'm still on a fence.

Reactions: GeoNole94

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
”Threads”.... Hahahaha good one!!!

I joined a few years ago when those same brains behind the operations were still here. I can’t say I have complaints about the forum or new management, but many of the people I had come to look to for advice on here no longer come around. Sad.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Like several others, I am not happy with how the WF has devolved and the loss of the braintrust and sense of community. I find myself looking in a couple of times each week at one or two forums, then moving quickly on to other places on the interweb. All good things come to an end, and I am essentially there with the others who have departed. YMMV

Reactions: Andyd_is_PzGren
1 - 20 of 23 Posts