Walther Forums banner

Buying online

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  onebigcubano 
#1 ·
Hey all, I finally picked up my p99 compact. A local gun shop I went to beat the price of CDNN's by getting one of Davidson's and not charging me the FFL, which was 30$. My questions are this. What is the best way to buy a firearm. My dealership said you always have to pay sales tax even when buying from out of state and shipping it. There is the 25$ brady background check, but is there anything else.  

To recap there is

Cost of gun             varies
Cost of shipping       varies
Background             25
Sales tax
FFL

Other than going to gun shows, how do you get arround buying a 400$ gun off Gunbroker and payig 525$ in the end to get it to you home??  Just looking for advice, thanks

PS is there the same breakin of 500 rounds on the compact as well??
THanks
Patrick

See less See more
#2 ·
25 bucks!??!?!?!  For background check!?!?  Here in Georgia, it's only 5 bucks.  Looks like it is time to get your concealed weapon permit and skip all future background check requirements.

I bought from Gina at ak-47man.com, and did not pay sales tax.  I paid her shipping and my FFL transfer fee, which was about $50 bucks on top of the price of the gun.

As far as pricing, you'll have to look for a good FFL holder that does cheap transfers, my guy was 20 bucks.  I'd expect 20 to 35 bucks for shipping.

As far as break in on your compact.  Dr. Lunde recommends that you use 124 grain or heavier for the first few hundred rounds to work that recoil spring.  I've been using 115 grain in my wife's new XD-9, and we've had ONE ejection failure in 300 rounds.  Perhaps had I used heavier bullets, we'd not have the problem.  Check out Lunde's P99 FAQ for other questions (http://www.praxagora.com/lunde/WaltherP99FAQ/)

-stunks

#3 ·
My experience:
I pay the seller for the gun + shipping, no tax since its out of state
I pay the FFL for his transfer ($20) + background check ($2)

I don't see why you should pay tax unless the FFL is buying the gun and you're re-buying from him, but I could be wrong. But in general I'd count on adding $50 to anything off the internet to cover shipping + transfer. Sucks, but I guess thats the price we have to live with for now.

#4 ·
It depends on how the paperwork is done. For example, I just bought a Romanian PSL from SOG. I payed for the riffle and had it shipped to my FFL. Since I bought the thing out of state there's not sales tax. The FFL charged me $20 to do the tranfer, which includes the backgound check, but since he's only facilitating the transfer and not sale, then I don't pay sales tax.

#5 ·
I've bought one gun through Gun Broker, two from CDNN, one from Ordnance Outsellers and one private sale...never paid sales tax. I did have to pay sales tax on my shotgun purchase through Davidsons, because technically I was buying it from the local shop. Shipping varied - generally $10-$20. Concur that your dealer is raping you on the background check...$2 here in Virginia. My dealer does $20 transfers.

I always try to give my local guy a chance to meet or beat any deal I find online. I ended up buying my CZ from him, even though he was about $40 higher...just because I wanted to support him. He's been great with me -- never questioning any of my transfers (i.e., not trying to pressure me into buying from him). YMMV.

Jim

#6 ·
Thanks for the info. I felt that the sales tax was a rip, but it being my first gun purchase I never knew better. I guess I will not deal with them in the future. 25$ is standard for background checks in Nevada. At least every dealer I went to for the FFL quoted me that for the check. I will make sure I don't get suckered in the future. Even with tax I got a new p99c for 516.22 OTD with everything. That made me happy. But I do not think I will like dealing with CDNN in the future, the guys on the phone were jerks most of the time hanging up on me before I could finish asking questions.
Patrick

#8 ·
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Wagemage @ Aug. 10 2005,17:56)]Thanks for the info. I felt that the sales tax was a rip, but it being my first gun purchase I never knew better.
If they got you the gun through Davidson's, then you were required to pay the tax because technically you bought the gun from that local shop. So that wasn't a rip off. But if you order from somewhere like CDNN, then you wouldn't pay tax living in Nevada. I don't think your dealer was being shady with you on this transaction.

If you call CDNN again, try asking for Brian. He's a real supporter over on our Steyr Club forum and he's always done right by us. The salesmen work for commission, so it's silly to be rude to (potential) customers! To be honest, I've always had good experiences with CDNN. If I call for a price, they've always given it cheerfully -- but they're careful to tell me their name in case I call back to order! Don't let a bad phone call scare you away from some really good deals!

Just my $0.02....

Jim

#9 ·
My dealership told me that if I bought through cdnn I would still have to pay sales tax, but if I bought through them (from davidsons) that I would not have to pay the transfer fee of 30$. So they lied to me about the sales tax through cdnn so they could make the sale to me. That is what bugged me. Oh well, I am now going to another range because they let me bring my own ammo, and even give me the police discount on the range fee. A loss for "the gun shop", and a gain for "American Shooters Supply"
Thanks for the info. I am more informed now.
Patrick

#10 ·
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Wagemage @ Aug. 12 2005,12:12)]My dealership told me that if I bought through cdnn I would still have to pay sales tax, but if I bought through them (from davidsons) that I would not have to pay the transfer fee of 30$. So they lied to me about the sales tax through cdnn so they could make the sale to me. That is what bugged me.
Ah...gotcha. Then yeah, that was pretty shady. The best thing to do is what you're doing -- take your business someplace else!

All in all, though, you didn't do badly. I paid $600 for my P99 AS because it was so hard to find...but I don't regret it a bit! I'm just glad I didn't have to pay the $850 that Earl's is charging now for the new imports!

Shoot safe,
Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.