Walther Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking to buy a new PPQ in 45 ACP.

For some reason I started looking at the year of manufacturer codes on the pistols and have been surprised. If I am reading the code correctly, many of them appear to have been made in 2015 and 2018.

First, is there any reason to prefer a new code from 2019, if any exist?

Second, is it possible some places are just using old photos so the number looks older than stock?

Third, have I just been working at home for so long that I clearly do not have enough to occupy myself and am looking into something that is just plain no big deal?

·
Premium Member
13,613 Posts
Howdy englishteacher. No worries.

First, as far as I know, all the PPQ 45's are the same...no changes that I'm aware of.

Second, many web sites use pictures they grabbed from who knows where.....or when.

Third, yep, its no big deal.

Forth, I love retirement. Work, what's that?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I love my PPQ 45. I ordered it from Bass Pro in February. Feels great in the hand and the trigger is pretty sweet.

Not sure how to look up manufacturing dates, but I could look up mine and let you know.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Jarine88

Here is what I found about figuring out the date:

If you want to know the date of manufacture, find the letter code on the side of the slide. DE stand for Deutschland (Germany). To the right of the German DE proof mark, there will be two more letters. The 2 character letter code represents the 2-digit year manufacture. The next two letters on the PK380 shown below are BA (B=1, A=0 ) the date of manufacture would be 10 or 2010.

A = 0
B = 1
C = 2
D = 3
E = 4
F = 5
G = 6
H = 7
I/J = 8
K = 9

I think I am overthinking this whole thing. I just did not want to end up with one made a few years ago if there was a problem with that but I think I am good to go.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks Jarine88

If you want to know the date of manufacture, find the letter code on the side of the slide. DE stand for Deutschland (Germany). To the right of the German DE proof mark, there will be two more letters. The 2 character letter code represents the 2-digit year manufacture. The next two letters on the PK380 shown below are BA (B=1, A=0 ) the date of manufacture would be 10 or 2010.

A = 0
B = 1
C = 2
D = 3
E = 4
F = 5
G = 6
H = 7
I/J = 8
K = 9

I think I am overthinking this whole thing. I just did not want to end up with one made a few years ago if there was a problem with that but I think I am good to go.
Thanks for the information. I brought my PPQ 45 2 weeks ago.

·
Premium Member
8,579 Posts
Curious - what does the date code indicate?
Actually the date code indicates when the weapon was proof fired but it also is a good indicator of the year of manufacture. You'll find the date code and a symbol which shows the proof house where it was done. There is seldom much lag time between manufacture and proofing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks. I was curious how recent the date code was on @KG Collins purchase.
I’ve read that with the recent buying surge some shops are putting older stock out, like the PPQ M1, but I would have thought, “assumed”, they would have sold through older stock before putting all new out. I figured M1s “in the box” were gone years ago.

Walther doesn’t make the M1 with the paddles anymore, right?

I actually can’t find the 4” PPQ in 9 anywhere. Even Cabellas is only showing the 45.

Although I’ve shot for a few years now, I’ve never purchased, so maybe I’m doing it wrong. The prices I’ve seen seem really high right now anyway.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks Jarine88

A = 0
B = 1
C = 2
D = 3
E = 4
F = 5
G = 6
H = 7
I/J = 8
K = 9

Odd as I just bought my Q45 and it's BH so 2017.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Purchased new or used? If new....was it in factory box with full compliment of accessories?
Yep, brand new with trigger safety tag. I always lube before shooting and the slide and frame were new and looked great with just test firing. Definitely not used.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Mine is a "BI", bought in the first quarter of 2019, sourced from Bud's. Absolutely love it, and carry it like ALWAYS. I would EDC it even if it was a steel frame pistol, I like it that much.
I have shot it enough that the trigger reset has grown to about 7.5mm but is still extremely "positive pressure" in it's return to ready to fire engagement. I have not changed anything internal to the pistol, just shot it a bit over the last two years, all factory ammo, with exactly zero issues. I want a Q4 and Q5SF so bad it's driving me crazy.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I suspect the distribution chain is affected by demand, these days, meaning buds is probably buying up what others didnt sell a few years back. mine is clearly new, and an amazing design. I’m in Seattle, where we have no functioning police force, and I’m too old to run.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
I totally get the "too old to run" factor. Fortunately my area of Raleigh has only been slightly affected by the riots and looting.
I put +4 round magazine extensions on several of my magazines. Wish someone made a flared mag well extension for the Q45.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts