Walther Forums banner

Is your new PPK/S 22LR a keeper?

• Yes

Votes: 100 76.9%
  • No

Votes: 30 23.1%

Buyer's remorse on your new PPK/S?

34K views 102 replies 56 participants last post by  Ron K. 
#1 ·
To those that have had the new PPK/S for a while, any regrets on owning one? Just looking for some feedback from current owners.

#37 ·
Sold mine too. Got every penny I paid for it including the cost for the extra wood grips, mag and the Sneaky Pete holster I bought for it so not upset in the slightest. Reason. Over time the safety lever got progressively harder to move until one day it just snapped in half. The barrel part inside the slide, not the external lever. Just cheap pot metal. Walther did fix it for free but it just changed my whole outlook on this thing. And since I didn't loose a dime I don't feel I got took. Used the money towards a Bushmaster AR M4 before they decide to put a ban on them again. At least I know it is aluminum and plastic up front. 'Course ammo is a lot more for it....

#38 ·
New to the whole gun thang, but here's my dos centavos. I have a Umarex PPK/S .22 LR and it's great. Over a hundred rounds with CCI Mini Mags and Fiocchi (CCI brand I'm told.), no issues. Sights could be better. I've painted mine. I'd love a mag without the pinky tab, but that's all you get. Haven't hit a consistent bull yet from 20', but everything is within an inch or so. Works for me. Don't know why folks keep dissing these.

#40 ·
Perhaps if you read my post rather than glancing over it you would see why I'm "dissing" this firearm. I put over 800 rounds through mine and then the safety barrel snaps in half? That's quality? No, that's cheap pot metal to go along with the low cost alloy for the rest of the firearm. I also found that it easily dents thus marring the nice nickle finish. Yes, I was a big supporter of this firearm when it first came out but not any more. For barely $100 more I bought a real steel and wood Uberti full size Peacemaker 12 shot .22 that oozes quality all over the place. Now that's how you build a quality .22.

#41 ·
I have a early French made PP in .22 and the newer PPK/S in .22. I have put over 3000 rds through the PPK/S and have never had any problems with this firearm. Nor have I had any problems with the PP.

Because most Walther owners are of the all steel variety. Any weapon made by Walther that is not all steel is crap. Hence the new PPK/S is made of alloys, it was crap from the beginning. Also know that S&W PPK/PPK/S were, to some, crap because they were not made by Walther. Then there were the ones produced by Interarms, called Rangers, that were crap, and then there were the French made ones. Then we have the ones said "made in W. Germany" these were actually french made parts sent to Walther in Germany. Where they were fired, stamped "made in W. Germany, blued, and assembled. Technically they were still made in France and assembled in Germany.

So now we come to the real Walthers. The ones actually made by Walther in Germany until the end of WWII. Also the new Plastic (polymer) ones that are made in Germany today along with the PPK/S .22.

Walther owners are SNOBS. They are very conservative in their ownership of these weapons. If it doesn't fit their criteria, then they are crap. How many of the all Steel Walthers have had a similar problem with the safety barrel breaking on their Walthers, with using the decocker too much? I have read on this forum of people Walters that have. They must of been maybe made of pot metal.

If you like Plastic striker fire weapons (I Don't) then the Walther made PPQ, P99 are excellent weapons. I prefer all metal weapons with a safety or a decocker, is why I am a SNOB and own only all metal Walthers from WWII, French, "Made in W. Germany, Ranger, and the new PPK/S .22.

If you want a really nice all metal Weapon that will fire 9mm and .22's reliably. Look at the Sig or CZ 75. I have a M11-A1 (P228) with the .22 conversion kit and a CZ 75 D compact with the Kadet .22 conversion. They are both accurate and never have a problem with ammo, due to the longer barrels. Were as the PPK/S, PPK in .22 do have problems with some brands of ammo.

Remember the .22lr ammo is made for long barreled rifles not for your short barrel pistols. They need enough time to burn the powder to build the pressures to work the action on your weapon. Some Manufacturers use faster burning powder than others like CCI.

So enjoy your PPK/S and shoot it. If it falls a part then maybe they were right. mine hasn't yet and I have own it since it came available. Remember 95% of the Walther owners on this forum will think of your PPK/S as crap. I guess I am of the 5%, because I don't. But hey! I think plastic (polymer) weapons are crap. So as soon as my PPQ M1 classic is sold the happier I will be.

#45 ·
Despite not being a real Walther to the purist out there, and the crappy double action trigger pull, it is a decent .22 plinker and trail gun. Use decent ammo (you'll find what works best) and it runs great. You can even trim the magazine follower to hold another round for 11 in the mag and one in the chamber for 12 if you carry it. Not as light as the pocket guns out there, but so far in a Bianchi minimalist holster on my strong side I often forget it's there. It has proven sturdy enough to ride around with me on farm equipment and not get in the way of anything. Would I like a steel gun with a better double action, heck yeah, but as far as small .22 pistols go it's better than most. Believe me I've gotten rid of several small .22's that don't work. This isn't my first rodeo, so I'm going to be keeping this one.

#46 ·
I initially gave this two thumbs up. Gonna back it down to one thumb. Why? Trigger pull. The pull in DA is excessive. Compared to my S&W 380 the 22 is a beast. Also I can't cock it one hand as I can the 380. Maybe my 22 isn't broken in yet. Still love it, but if I had to choose i'd go with the 380.

#47 · (Edited)
In terms of trigger pull...that's about right. I suspect that even NYPD duty-handgun double-action trigger specs are '..light..' by comparison. I also suspect that it's as heavy as it is for the same reason...passive 'safety'.

Insofar as being able to cock the hammer with one hand....that's a mystery. I've always been able to 'thumb-back' the hammer single-handed without any difficulty.

#49 ·
While mine is almost brand new (less than 1000 rounds thru it) the DA trigger pull while heavy (remember all walther PPK DA pulls are heavy) this one feels a bit gritty. However, even my old SIG 228 had a DA pull from Hades.

Keeper? Most Probably.

One nice thing is that a black magic marker touches up the holster wear on the finish really nicely

#50 ·
Blame the CLP. I had issues with the DA trigger pull on my 22 LR, but I put on a Hogue sleeve and I can cock the hammer just fine. I used CLP very sparingly a few weeks back, wiped and wiped with a dry cloth and the metal is still slick so I was having trouble getting a good grip. So I'll take the blame on this one and chalk it up to user error. Still doesn't cock as easily as the 380, but it's okay.

#52 ·
Well, so far, you've resurrected threads from 2015 (this one) and two from 2016 (Direct thread a supressor for PPK/S .22LR and PPK/S .22cal is being discontinued?). That's not a problem, but you might want to stick to participating more recent threads that haven't long ago run their course.

#55 ·
Well since its come back alive, I've owned one of these ( PPK/S .22 ) for over a year now. It's been back to Walther twice for repairs due to ammo issues and the service has been great. It is NOT a collectors piece but is a whole lot of fun to shoot, especially with better ammo. I also own a newer P22 and it too provides a good time on a weekly basis at the range taking out those dastardly evil thugs dressed all in black. Should they perhaps be a little less expensive? Should Walther make a higher quality version of the "Bond" gun in .22 or .32? Yes.

#56 ·
Wildtoad when you sent it back for service did they ever replace the extractor/spring?

I sent mine in for service after owning it for a week and they said they replaced the barrel on the invoice.

Now it works fine for the first five magazines loaded with 7 rounds each and then shortly thereafter it has extraction issues.

I only shoot CCI mini mags through it

I am wondering if I will just live with it or send it in for visit number 2?

#58 ·
>>>...I would be curious to know just how many of the folks who voted Yes did so out of legitimate personal issues they had with the gun as opposed to how many were simply turned off by all the negativity surrounding it.
Just sayin' it's kinda hard to feel good about a purchase when so many folks keep saying that it was a mistake, and it's hard to want to keep using something when so many folks keep telling you that it will break, especially when they are lead to believe that it will fail catastrophically which in turn could lead to personal injury.<<<

I've had my PPK/S .22 with the nickel finish since 2013...and shot the hell out of it...in the ten-thousands of rounds now. With the exception of problems created by ammo, this little pistol has functioned flawlessly. Painting the front sight and 'striping' the sides of the rear sight aperture improved function...and my marksmanship.

I've often suspected that many of the '..critics..' of the ZAMAK PPK/S .22 don't own one and have probably never even fired one. I suspect that they simply repeat the greatly respected(??) 'wisdom' of '..what some guy at the bar (or on YouTube) told me..'

Were I going into combat in foreign lands, would I want a ZAMAK firearm ??...Probably not. But if all I'm gonna' do is go to the range at my local shooting club and punch holes in paper, 'ding' steel 'poppers' & 'spinners' and blow Diet Pepsi cans to hell 'n gone....this is a great little pistol.

#59 · (Edited)
I own one....I have buyers remorse.....about 1000 rounds....Insane DA, inferior workmanship, rotten finish.

I bought it as a trainer for my wife who carries a Manurhin PPK/S. It certainly never came close to being a good trainer. I bought a L66A1 that has been more then adequate for the purpose.

I've seen better built CO2 pellet guns....but to each his own. The zamak 22 will sit in its box and gather dusk because I just wouldn't feel right selling it to someone else.

#60 ·
Never owned one, but considered it. Then I inspected one at the gun store. Nope. Nope. Nope. Shoddy construction compared to my Ulm .22 PPK/S, and an absolutely stupid double-action pull at over eighteen pounds.

I'll stick with Ulm.

#61 ·
I've had mine for a few years now, I still enjoy shooting it, and it still shoots as well as my L66A1 - better in fact in a couple respects.

It does use a cast frame and slide, using a Zamak alloy, and the small parts reflect a much lower price point than one of the steel Walthers, but it's functional and very much a design in the Walther PP series tradition when it comes to operation.

Accuracy is comparable to my L66A1, but unlike my L66A1, it is reliable with a full 10 round magazine, where the L66A1 stumbles a bit with more than 8 rounds loaded in the magazine.

The magazine is in fact something Walther/Umarex got right. They increased the angle of the rounds in the magazine, and allowed for a bit more stagger side to side at the rim, while keeping the noses aligned. The end result is that it is less prone to rim lock and the feeding is much more consistent.

If there is downside, it's that the finger rest is not just an extension but an integral part of the magazine.

#62 ·
I love the rationale that the '..vintage..' Walther PP & PPK (or a PP-L66A1) chambered for .22LR better pistol. But, if anyone wants one in top-condition, they're gonna' have to put a whole lotta' money where their mouth is.....somewhere in a range from $7-800--to--well over $1,000. As good as these pistols are; how many of the critics do ya' suppose are gonna' pony up those amounts for a .22 LR pistol ??

http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?Keywords=+Walther++PP+.22&Sort=13

A Mercedes C Class is a better automobile than a Hyundai Elantra....but for $20,000+ MORE....it damned well better be. Both do the same job.

#64 ·
Everytime I see one of the Nickel models I regret my decision to get the one with the matte black finish...

Seriously, the Nickel finish looks so much nicer and I can tell it's more durable as well. Eventually I'm gonna have my brother refinish mine with Durablue, which will look infinitely better as well as more durable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.