• No

Votes: 30 24.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To those that have had the new PPK/S for a while, any regrets on owning one? Just looking for some feedback from current owners.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Ammo was my biggest issue. Once I found a brand it liked (CCI mini mags) my enjoyment rose. A little customizing and I really like the gun. Replacement of the grips and painting of the sights was all it took for me. DA pull will never get better, but I have fun with this one.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Unlike the other thread, I think the intent of this one is to limit the discussion to actual owners of the new PPK/S .22LR who have had one for awhile, rather than folks who tried one once or heard about someone who tried one once, or who knew someone who heard about someone who tied one once, or who had a cousin who knew someone who heard about someone who tried one once.
(Milspec): Anyone may post in any thread. Vote in the poll if the question applies.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unlike the other thread, I think the intent of this one is to limit the discussion to actual owners of the new PPK/S .22LR who have had one for awhile, rather than folks who tried one once or heard about someone who tried one once, or who knew someone who heard about someone who tied one once, or who had a cousin who knew someone who heard about someone who tried one once.
Yes, that is the intent of this thread/survey. It will help to consolidate input from actual owners themselves. Maybe, we can learn from each other as to how to best improve/tweak our new PPK/S 22LR for better performance and increase its reliability/enjoyment of its use.

·
Premium Member
8,498 Posts
Nope...it sure isn't a keeper as far as I'm concerned...but I can't in good conscious sell it to some other unsuspecting slob. I bought one of the first available believing the advertizing and expecting a real Walther.

Build quality just isn't there. The materials are inferior and there is play between the frame and slide. The DA trigger is way too heavy (dare I say insane?) and hasn't loosened up over almost 1K rounds ( no one can say I haven't given it a fair trial). The black finish easily wears and scratches and the mag feels more like a leggo toy.
It has not been ammo friendly....

While it isn't as accurate as I would want, in all fairness it is accurate enough for a plinker.

I had originally purchased the UPPK/S as a trainer weapon for my wife who EDCs a Manurhin PPK/S 9mmk, in that, it has failed miserably. She has been much better served by using my L66A1.

If you folks figure out how to correct this I'll be extremely interested. My feeling is that one shouldn't need to "tweak" a weapon to get it to run like a top....

And if you limit this thread to only those who own this replica, you'll get lots of fanboy comments thrown in. There are a number of folks who have handled and shot this weapon and found it was not for them.

There are a couple forum members who I respect greatly that are pleased with this weapon and feel their money was well spent. I'll look forward to hearing from them... Wish I could say I found my money was well spent on this weapon.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
It would depend what you are looking for in a .22. If you are looking for a James Bond look a like, no, that it is not. James Bond's was a PPK, not a PPK/S. James Bond's was blued, mottly brown grips not painted black with black grips.

If you are looking just for a fun plinker, that it is. I have put over 2000 rds through it. The only round that the weapon didn't like was a Winchester 1240 JHP. However, the only .22 that Winchester did work in was a Ruger MK I. Also the mags worked with the full load of 10 rds.

The finish on mine has very little wear on the inside, the outside like the day that I purchase it. However, I have the black finish not the nickle. Mine is also very accurate, as accurate as any of my Walthers. I can and have bounce cans at 50+ meters with this one. However, I also like my steel PP in .22 and the new PPQ in .22.

A negative thing was the rear sights (actually the rear and front sights are hard to see with old eyes.) allen screw came loose and the sight move back and forth. I retighten it and now it if off. I will have to take the allen wrench to the range with the weapon to re-sight it in.

No .22 is a good trainer unless it is a conversion kit that will sit on the same frame that you are shooting. Other wise the non competition pistol is only good for plunking and assassination.

There are other .22's out there other than the Walthers, Ruger, S&W, Sig, and etc. I had a Sig for a while hated the trigger travel and reset, so I sold it. Never did like the looks of the Ruger MK I, not a big fan of any of S&W products.

Sorry Bill, In my opinion the Walther sports .22, the Olympia, and the OSP are some of the uglyist Walther designs they have ever made. There is noway you can justify one of those to me. I guess that "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

So the new PPK/S in .22 is about as good as any other .22 on the market in their price range. You can get a used steel PP for about 2.5 to 3 time as much money or 4 times for a PPK.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought one of the first available believing the advertizing and expecting a real Walther...Wish I could say I found my money was well spent on this weapon.
I tend not to buy anything newly released in the market. I like to wait and give the manufacturer time to work out any possible bugs encountered during the initial year or two of production runs. Since mine is a recent new purchase, it should have the latest fixes, if any, at production time. I never really expected too much from this pistol since I considered it more as a novelty 22LR plinker. I haven't had time yet to take mine to the range, so I won't know if it's a keeper. Hopefully, it will be.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a ppks .380 in stainless, a ppks .32 in stainless and a ppks .22 in shiny whatever and I love all three. I had a few problems with the 32 but a local gunsmith fixed it. The 22 was a little ammunition sensitive to start with but has improved with usage. I bought all three new and have no plans to part with them. If Walther ever decides to make a matching 9 mm I'll buy it too.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Mine, serial # WF012185, is absolutely fine. As I had reported in the past, the only ammo I have had issue with is the Winchester 333 bulk pack, even Remington Sub-Sonics cycle through it. I have 2K + - rounds fired through her now and have used a snap cap as well as the palm of my other hand to prevent damage while dry firing (keep the firing pin from hitting hard metal to metal). I must have the equivalent of 5k trigger pulls and I can say without doubt the SA pull is now like SA on my Interarms .380. Far far better then when new. The only other drawback is the black finish on the front of the trigger has worn off and is now a polished metal from all these pulls. I may take the trigger out and just polish the whole thing out since the black parts on a basically all nickle finish look campy to me.
Funny, you don't see many posts from owners doing a first reporting on their new PPK/S .22 knocking them down. And what complaints I see here mimic those points brought up by others who say they will not, never, ever, give this pistol a try. As it is an open vote, I suspect the vote is being voted on even by those who don't have one. May require a serial # reported with this vote to keep non-owners from voting. Just a thought.
Oh, and yes, this topic should have only OWNERS chime in, as that is who is being asked about this pistol. Those who never bought it, for WHATEVER reason are not going to have any remorse and thus should pass on this topic and definitely not vote on it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
my only regret, I wish it was cheaper ;-)
everybody at the range always wants to see it, but its been 100% reliable as long as I don't use the cheap federal or Winchester white box, cci and everything else I tried will work all day.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I took one look at the new PPK .22 and said "Yikes!"

I can't believe Walther would allow their name to be attached to this cheaply made piece of junk. I examined two of these in a local shop, the trigger pull DA was about 15 pounds and rough and even the lettering on the slides was uneven.....Products like this could put a company out of business. I have a PP22, PP32, PPK/S 32, PPS 9mm, and a PPK .22 (German). This current joke of a gun is not even in the same universe as the previous producton.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I can't believe Walther would allow their name to be attached to this cheaply made piece of junk. I examined two of these in a local shop, the trigger pull DA was about 15 pounds and rough and even the lettering on the slides was uneven.....Products like this could put a company out of business. I have a PP22, PP32, PPK/S 32, PPS 9mm, and a PPK .22 (German). This current joke of a gun is not even in the same universe as the previous producton.
A meaningless post in this thread. How does this answer the question of having buyers remorse if you don't own one? This post is why the responses to the question needs to be confined to owners, not those who choose not to own one for whatever reason. Feel free to post your feelings on this handgun in a new thread if you feel so inclined, just don't respond to this thread unless you own one.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I agree with the above post that you're not qualified to make the post in the first place, under the OP's criteria, as you don't own one and have not shot one, let alone shot one enough to render a solid and knowledgeable opinion. You're basing it solely on an impression formed handling one in a shop.

I agree with you however that the PPK/S is not in the same universe as the older Walther made PP .22 LR and PPK in .22 LR. Just looking at what a new in the box PP or PPK in .22LR would cost (assuming you could even find one) will clearly demonstrate the separate universe concept, as those pistols won't be in the $400-$450 price range that the new PPK/S has to compete in to be viable in the market with similar .22LR replica plinker pistols. They'd be at least 4-5 times that price.

----

With that said I've made a habit out of inspecting the new PPK/S .22LR pistols I find at gun shows and I have found one that would not properly de-cock, so the QA on that particular pistol was clearly lacking.

But, as a buyer I also carefully inspected the PPK/S .22LR I bought, and as such added a final QA check. That's one more reason why there is a potential difference in opinion between those who bought one and have shot it, versus those who just looked at one.

·
Premium Member
6,722 Posts
Well..it's not really a Walther...it's a Umarex replica of a Walther PPK/S. People who understand they're buying a zinc alloy replica are very likely to be pleased with their purchase. Those expecting a real Walther PPK/S are not likely to be happy. Look at it as a replica and you may find that it's not a bad little gun. It functions perfectly with most ammo, mags are cheap, and it's a great first Walther to take the kids out shooting. Who uses double action anyway?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just sold mine today. I put several hundred rounds through it and I didn't like it nearly as much as I thought I would. It loves CCI Mini-Mags and other higher velocity ammo, but I can't find any right now anywhere. I tried it on standard velocity 22 and it jammed on EVERY round (Yes, it was cleaned, oiled, broken in, etc....). So back in the bag it went and out came my Buck Mark- which so far has loved everything I put through it and was $50 less in price when I bought it. It's not to say the PPK/S is a bad gun. It's just very ammo sensitive and I am not willing to pay big bucks for high velocity 22. So in the end, it's my cheapness that made me sell the gun.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I just sold mine today. I put several hundred rounds through it and I didn't like it nearly as much as I thought I would. It loves CCI Mini-Mags and other higher velocity ammo, but I can't find any right now anywhere. I tried it on standard velocity 22 and it jammed on EVERY round (Yes, it was cleaned, oiled, broken in, etc....). So back in the bag it went and out came my Buck Mark- which so far has loved everything I put through it and was $50 less in price when I bought it. It's not to say the PPK/S is a bad gun. It's just very ammo sensitive and I am not willing to pay big bucks for high velocity 22. So in the end, it's my cheapness that made me sell the gun.
Wow, other then Winchester bulk, mine ate everything I put in it, even Remington sub sonics's. However I agree that compared to my Uberti 1873 SAA in 22 (12 rounds per load) which shoots EVERYTHING, even CB's, it is fickle, but the Uberti cost $150 MORE then the Walther did.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I Really like my new Walther PPK/S, it shoots everything. I have owned a 1966 Walther PPK in 22LR and just did not shoot it much due to it's Value.

Never thought I would buy a PPK/S as I only own PP and PPK pistols, but it is very nice to have a PPK/S in 22 LR that I can shoot and not care about the finish or parts that might one day break! And the mags are way cheaper than the 1966 22 LR Mags!

For those that think the new PPK/s is not original well, all PPK/S pistols are not really original to me anyway because of the 1968 law.
Some say the S&W and Interarms guns are not real Walthers too! But then again with that logic the Ulm and French Walther could also be considered Copies compared to the Pre 1945 Thur Walthers.
I have owned all the above Walthers and liked then all, the Pre-1945 guns are my favorite but I still consider all Walther pistols true Walthers.
I do not carry my German made Walthers at all and do not shoot them near as much as I shoot this new 22 or my Interarms PPK. I will CC my Interarms PPK when I want to go with 380 ACP.

I consider my new 22 LR PPK/S a great buy and will keep shooting it!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, new member, just want to chime in with my limited yet informed opinion.

I bought my Umarex PPK/S knowing full well what it was. My experience has been nothing less than positive. It has the same features and faults I remember having in my old Walther USA stainless PPK (which I foolishly sold 20 years ago). The sights suck and the double action pull is less than desirable ... just like my old PPK. On the other hand, the single action trigger is pretty awesome and despite the crappy sights it hits pretty much where I point it. The reliability is above par for a 22 rimfire auto pistol. I've shot about a 1,000 rounds through it, some supersonic, some sub, and it's not given me any problem.

Oh, and the other thing: The threaded barrel fits my Form 1 suppressor and makes for a pretty cool little package. I've wanted a suppressed PPK or PPK/s for years but was unwilling to spend a thousand bucks for a gun and gunsmith work. For less than $400 I got what I wanted. If I wear it out -- which I don't see happening, considering the lack of wear I'm seeing so far -- I'll just buy another. Try that with your vintage German made all steel collectible.

Aside from the crappy sights and lousy double action trigger pull, the only other fault I've got with the gun is the deeply engraved 14 point font "Fort Smith, Arkansas" markings on the slide. Why couldn't they have made that a bit less obtuse? I mean, my James Bond fantasy doesn't include "M" ordering gadgets from Arkansas, of all places. lol! Other than that, I can't fault the gun.

Seriously, it is what it is: a copy of a classic firearm, meant to sell to the masses who appreciate the Walther legacy but don't wanna spend a fortune to live in it. My buddy drives a $60K Corvette and gets his jones on by generating G-forces going through the gears on his commute. I drive a used Mazdaspeed3 turbo that cost 1/3 the price of the 'Vette and I get just as much satisfaction. Sure, he's gonna impress more people with his American supercar ride, but I'm out to impress only one person: me.

To each their own. I like the little alloy Walther and intend to shoot the heck out of it.

BTW, nice forum. I just bought a in-pretty-good-shape P-1 (I know, it's not a "real" P-38) for a decent price and am studying up on how to keep it running. Thanks in advance for creating this treasure trove of knowledge and experience.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Love it

I use CCI ammunition and the gun fires perfectly. Couldn't be happier. And it looks nice next to my WWII PP 7.65.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts