Walther Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a brand new PPK/S stainless and noticed that there are a couple of burrs on the frame where the trigger guard catches so the gun can be disassembled.

They were there when I got it. I plan on putting a business card in between the guard and frame in order to keep from scratching up the frame, but is there a proper way to smooth out these burrs/deep scratches or would a risk just making it worse?

I might just be acting a little OCD, but it's a new gun and I'd like it perfect at least to start.

Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
9,923 Posts
Well, you're on the right track using something lodged between the trigger guard and the frame. I usually use a coin when disassembling.

I had something posted on the burr situation, but then I noticed that the burrs are on the frame rather than the trigger guard tang. That's going to be a bit more tricky because it's in a visible area. I'll let some of our better-qualified experts handle that issue for you.

·
Premium Member
6,722 Posts
It depends on what the problem is. The gun has a dog bone pin in the trigger guard so you can pull the guard down and push it to the side. If these marks bother you take a green Scotch Brite pad and carefully rub with the grain. The marks will go away with a couple of light strokes. Only do this on stainless guns.
If the slide is peening the block on the trigger guard you have a different issue. Slightly bevel the front facing edges of the block with a small fine file.
If the frame is dinged post photos. Generally you'll need to do carefull file work but only enough to remove displaced metal that interferes with opening the guard. You won't want to file out gouges.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a Sept. 2013 made stainless .380 made by S&W. I put about 100 rounds through it so far. I have had 3 failure to fires so far using cheap blazer ammo and 2 failure to fires using 90 grain Federal Hydra Shock. I have read that you need to put about 250 rounds through to brake it in. I love the way it shoots and how well it groups.

Thanks for the info so far guys.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
.... I have had 3 failure to fires so far using cheap blazer ammo and 2 failure to fires using 90 grain Federal Hydra Shock. I have read that you need to put about 250 rounds through to brake it in ...
That's not encouraging performance. Maybe you are not stamping on the pedal hard enough.

M

·
Premium Member
6,722 Posts
I'd clean and lightly lube it with BreakFree CLP. Buy some good quality brass case FMJ target ammo. Give the gun a guick clean & lube every 50 rounds until it's working reliably. Then try JHP and see how that goes... :)

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
"Brake it in." -- typing malaprop.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have had MANY failures to fire with Hydro shocks in my I/A .380,They would dent the primer but would take 2-3 hits to fire. I now carry Hornady critical defence, I have had no failures of any kind with them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All I know is that a Stainless PPK/S might be the prettiest gun ever made. I can't wait until it is broken in and flawless.

What do you guys use to clean and lube it?

·
Premium Member
8,637 Posts
All I know is that a Stainless PPK/S might be the prettiest gun ever made. I can't wait until it is broken in and flawless.

What do you guys use to clean and lube it?
Simple....Ballistol....cleans, lubes and protects....check out the threads on cleaning your PPK/S, lots of useful info there.

Some PPK/Ss have spent 30+ years on Ballistol and the weapons are pristine looking and function just fine.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
30+ years? 80+ years... ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts