Walther Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was happy as heck to see the brown box laying on my doorstep. My Fobus ankle holster had arrived!!!! I ran in the house and opened her up. Then I pulled my jeans up and attempted to attach it to my ankle/leg. ACK!!! The dang velcro strap wouldn't reach far enough to secure on the loops!!! This dang thing must have been made for a stick man. :mad:
I'm not all that big a guy and it should have been no problem to attach. I have used a Bianchi ankle holster in the past. Oh well....back it goes and the search goes on for a decent concealment holster for summer use. :(

Dep

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
117 Posts
Sounds to me like time for a good IWB, and a pair of loose fitting pants! :cool:
It sounds like that's what it's boiling down to Dep. You don't have a lot of alternative solutions left. :p I wear my PPK/S IWB with jeans and a t-shirt. Because of how flat the PPK is it doesn't really show.

Here is my test: My girlfriend is very anti-concealed carry (I'm working on it but that's another story). If I can go an entire day wearing my gun and she doesn't notice, it passes the test. So far the Walther has a flawless record. ;)

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
Dep: Don't forget the "Gunderpants" rig that was so was so highly regarded a few weeks back. It's got your name all over it! hehehe

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
Exactly. And it's calling to you, Dep. I can hear it now. It sounds like a ... a yodel. Yeah, that's the ticket. :D

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
With respect to the CCW holsters, here are my observations:

One mistake I never failed to make with concealed carry holsters was NOT buying my pants one size bigger to accomodate the bulk of the pistol when worn in a IWB holster.

Once you do that many of the problems of the gun sticking out disappear. I would advocate getting one of the newer stiff leather holsters that allow you to re-holster. I always liked the suede variety - but they don't do much for holding the pistol in, and reholstering is impossible. I would also buy some square cut Hawaii style shirts and forget about the "T" shirt when carrying. Not only will the square cut button shirts conceal a pistol better, they are cooler.

I think that a pager holster and the ankle holster are just too complicated to be of much value, especially if you are carrying to protect against a "sudden" unexpected attack. Pager holsters and the ankle rigs are fine for cops to carry their BUG, but I think less than ideal for civilians.

The best holster in my opinion is leather, form fitting to the pistol it carries and free of thumbsnaps. It should be worn on the outside of a stout leather belt on ones strong side. I like a holster that does not drop below the line of the belt - but that is very hard to find. With such a rig it is necessary to dress in layers to conceal it, but that is fairly easy to do. The difficulty of CCW is that you have to dress around the W, which becomes more difficult to do the less you wear!

The only alternative is to go to smaller guns like the Seecamp, but while fun to play with, are best used by LEO's as back up. You can learn to shoot one well, but in a high stress situtation I would not bet that I could properly employ a pistol of that size at any distance beyond five feet - and that is too close.

I did not mention the pocket holster or the shoulder rig. But my expierence with those is limited. Prehaps someone else will offer observations on the best of those.

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Well I already tried a pocket holster and that didn't work. And shoulder holsters are made to be worn under something. So that won't work either.
I'm not going to increase my pants size to carry inside the waistband because I only have this worry 3 months out of the year. So 9 months I would have oversized waistband pants. I look goofy enough already without having the exposed buttcrack look :D
I think I am probably going to buy a Fobus belt holster and see how that works. I have one for my .45 autos and it works great in the Winter. Since the PPK is pretty small to start with, it may not be too observeable if I wear the right shirt over it. At any rate, it's only a worry if I am in a public place like Wallyworld or a burger joint. I am fortunate in that NM has open carry, so if I am spotted wearing it I am not in trouble. Plus I already have the CCW license. So I am covered both ways. Technically, I could wear my 1911A1 right out in the open in a tactical thigh holster and not be breaking any laws. I have been in public places where a guy walked in with a large semi-auto on his waist and nobody paid much attention to it. But I came from Illinois and still have the "best to hide it if you don't want a hassle" mentality. :)

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. ;)

Dep
P.S...I am not crazy about leather because leather attacts and holds moisture. Not something you want for your guns.
P.S.S. There is always the Rohrbaugh in 9MM
http://www.rohrbaughfirearms.com/
Or the Semmerling LM-4 in .45ACP
http://www.amderringer.com/lms.html
But they are big $$$$.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 9 of 9 Posts