Walther Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else experienced this? I have some walther 16 rounders, the bullets rattle, sounds like a BB in a coke can. Has not impaired function, just wondering if i am the only one this happens to.

·
Registered
39 Posts
kbr80: Do you have real P99 magazines made by MecGar? Any identifying markings on the magazine body or floorplate?

The reason I'm asking is that I've seen a few "high capacity" magazines at gun shows that looked homemade... unmarked floorplates, unmarked magazine bodies, magazine bodies with no numbered witness holes, weird Frankenmag welds, etc.

I ordered a 16 round P99 magazine from WalterAmerica when the ban ended and received a high quality magazine. Walther logo on baseplate, MecGar and Walther markings on magazine body, numbered witness holes, caliber marking, LEO warning, etc. No rounds rattled at all in this magazine... they are all nicely snug in there.

This weekend I went to a local gun store looking for some more 16 round magazines, as the owner told me he thought he had a few in back. Unfortunately, the gun store owner came back with P99 .40 S&W mags, and Frankenmags at that.

He said they would take 9mm rounds and after he loaded them up, the rounds rattled pretty bad in there. When he tried to unload the rounds with his thumb, to show they fed just as well, a round would twist and jam under the feed lip. This happened more than once.

I ended up wishing I ordered more 16 round magazines from WaltherAmerica before they switched to the 15 round magazines.

·
Registered
39 Posts
kbr80: It turns out I'm having the same problem you are.

As I mentioned earlier, I've been looking for 16 round magazines for a couple of months, after I ordered one from WaltherAmerica. None of the gunshops in my area had any.

I was about to try ordering online... Earl's Repair Service sells them for $75 and CDNN said they have them for $40.

I was about to buy a couple from CDNN when by luck, I dropped by a little gun shop I never go to (not very good selection and not very competitive prices).

Amazingly, this place had 5 of the 16 round magazines, at a competitive price ($40) and I picked up 2. They came in Walther packaging (no Frankenmags) and had their UPC label/seal unbroken. I brought them home, cleaned them up, and loaded them up for a preliminary function check.

As I was loading them up, every few rounds I would hear a little rattle. A few more rounds, and the rattle was gone. A few more, then a rattle. When fully loaded, the magazines didn't rattle.

I remember thinking, "Damn! This sounds just like what kbr80 was talking about."

I'm not sure if the springs need to be cycled a few times, but I loaded and unloaded them a few times, it didn't seem to do much. Right now, they are loaded up full and I'll leave them that way until I can head to the range to see if they function properly.

If they function well, I might ignore the rattle. The magazine bodies and floorplates seem fine and that is all I'm really looking for. The reason is I plan to order a batch of magazine springs and followers from S&W/WaltherAmerica to keep these magazines working for a long time.

If you are interested, their part numbers are:

* 16 round P99 magazine spring - Part 2628015 @ $4.47 ea.)
* 16 round P99 magazine follower - Part 2618265 @ $4.47 ea.)

I called WaltherAmerica to tell them about the difference in magazines (the one they sold me vs. the one I bought retail) and to find out if I possibly got a batch with some bad springs. They mentioned if I had problems after I tested them on the range, that they would be glad to look at them and get them up and running.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm curious as to if you have shucked one round to see if they still rattle? My m13s do exactly as you described.
I also recommend Wolff Springs - especially if you need + power springs.

·
Registered
39 Posts
bhp: My magazines don't rattle when loaded with 15 or 16 rounds.

After reading kbr80's post, I happed to find some new 16 round magazines, and when testing them out, tried to see if they rattled.

I noticed something rattling as I was loading up the magazines... load a round and shake slightly. The first few rounds were fine. However, every couple of rounds afterwards, I would hear something rattle... add another round, then the rattle would go away. Keep loading a few more rounds, then the rattle would come back. When fully loaded, no rattle.

I'm not sure if the spring is binding at certain points as it gets compressed, but I'm going to see if it affects functioning the next time I go shooting.

The two 10 round magazines that came with my gun didn't have this rattling, nor did the 16 round magazine I ordered from WaltherAmerica.

I don't think it is a problem yet, I was mainly just letting kbr80 know that I have seen the same thing he was.

I'll look into the Wolff springs, that might be a good way to go.

·
Registered
358 Posts
That has happened to me as well. Not with true Walther magazines but the knock offs. Try putting them in your gun and see if they rattle. They didnt with me. If you unload and reload you may have it go away as well.

·
Registered
39 Posts
InfernoMDM: Thanks for the advice, I'll see how they do the next time I go shooting. Before then, I'll try loading and reloading a few more times.

bhp: I called Wolff and they don't have P99 springs. They said they are working on making some for the P99 and might have some available maybe 3 months from now.

They said that their magazine springs for the Glock 17 would work, if you trimmed the end of the spring a bit to allow the P99's follower to fit. I'll wait.

·
Registered
39 Posts
InfernoMDM: Good observation, I noticed the same thing too.  The last couple of loaded bullets tend to nosedive as I'm loading... seems the loading forces aren't very distributed with too much downward force on the front of the bullets.

I haven't seen this happen with the other magazines I have (2 10 round and 1 16 round).  I load them all up the same way.  I also checked to make sure I didn't reverse the springs when I cleaned my new magazines.

I have much better results when I use one finger to press down on the rear of the last bullet in the magazine, causing the front of the bullet to tip up.  I then load the new round (which tends to tip the loaded bullets down)... this seems balance out and keep the loaded bullets more level as new ones come in.

I'm wondering if the spring is not properly supporting the follower, causing it to tend to nosedive a bit more than in my other magazines.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Well I have seen this in my Ruger P-89 16 round mag a lot(no I didnt buy the gun hahaha). Also happens to my friends HK mags as well once in a blue moon.

Yep I think your right hand loading seems to negate most of the issues.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts