Walther Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Everyone, new here. I was always a 1911 .45 owner/user. Then my thumb was injured (permanently). Recently my husband bought me a super cute lil' ole P22Q and I love the feel of it. Began loading the ammo into the 10-round magazine that came with the gun and I realized it looks all jumbled! .45 rounds never loaded that way, is this normal?:confused:

(edit) I had to add a clarification: when the rounds are in the mag, they don't lie all nice and flat.

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
Welcome mizjones....yep, that is prezackly how they should stack and the reason for the slots along the upper rear edge of the magazine. Now the next question is why? That is pretty simple. .45 ACP does not have a rim that sticks out from the width of the case. All .22 rounds do, therefore they cannot stack directly on top of one another or they would have to stack in a curve. The solution to this is to allow the rounds to stagger and to provide a slot that the outer edges of the rims to fit into.

As a side note, early P22 magazines didn't have the stagger slot and didn't feed properly. In 2006 Walther tried some short stagger slot mags, 3/8" long slot vs the 1" and they didn't work either. So it was back to the 1" slots. Do some reading here and don't forget to have a look at the FAQ section up top....the p22 is covered from muzzle to grip. M1911

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thankyou so much for clarifying this. I kind of suspected that's the case but to hear it from "one who knows" is so helpful! I appreciate your taking the time. Be safe.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you,, thank you, thank you for answering this. I have been looking all over for this answer. Just bought a P22Q and was freaked out when I loaded the mag.
I have Sig 9's and never saw ammo racked up before. I feel so much better understanding
Why they look so messed up and knowing it's not me or a defective magazine.

·
Registered
10,401 Posts

Someone is always monkeying around with P22 magazines, trying to turn the pistol into an AR or AK.......:cool: 15 rounds here, the top of the mag cut away to allow the follower button to rise higher, mag spring cut to allow follower, which was also cut, to go this far down. Someone sent me a couple of these. I tested one....it worked....barely, the mag spring is stretched out all the way so the follower barely has enough push to make it work. Seems the slide stop even had to be removed IIRC....15 years ago....I don't remember now.

Now that you've seen it.....I recommend you leave your mags alone and if you want to be able to fire a volley.....purchase 8 or 9 more mags. Properly functioning magazines are extremely important. 1917

1 - 6 of 6 Posts